Injury Update Thread

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that this could be a sticky but I'll leave that up to the mods.

Let's get tab on injuries here. My one request is to keep discussions relatively on track and move side discussions to separate threads if possible.

There were three injuries that I was aware of in last night's game. Hopefully we will get updates soon:

Davante Adams: Injured his left ankle on the Packers third FG drive but finished the game. It sounded like they just re-taped his bad ankle and got him back out there. Interested to see if it swells today.

Corey Linsley: Injured his right ankle when he got rolled upon in the first series. My guess is high ankle type of sprain. He did not return to the game.

Micah Hyde: Apparently he worsened the hip injury that he was dealing with last week. Carted off of the field and did not return.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't afford to lose these guys. I understand injuries happen, but they seem to happen more this year than before and it's hard to get clicking with recievers on offense if they have to keep switching them out. Same to be said with the secondary and lineman. Have to work the most with the guys that are going to suit up on Sunday.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see another game with Tretter at C. I had noticed in the previous weeks the line calls were getting messed up and there were unblocked rushers getting to Rodgers.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm anxious to see Montgomery get back on the field. I like what I saw earlier this season and think he could really help the offense get back on track. I know he was close to getting back last week, but apparently suffered a setback.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/353079651.html

Limited participants

• WR Davante Adams, ankle
  • S Morgan Burnett, ankle
  • LB Jayrone Elliott, ankle
  • RB Eddie Lacy, ankle
  • G T.J. Lang, shoulder
  • LB Clay Matthews, ankle/knee
  • CB Damarious Randall, hamstring
  • FB Aaron Ripkowski, ankle
  • G Josh Sitton, knee
Did not participate

• WR Jared Abbrederis, rib/chest
  • T Bryan Bulaga, knee
  • DB Micah Hyde, hip
  • C Corey Linsley, ankle
  • WR Ty Montgomery, ankle
  • DT Mike Pennel, quad
Linsley and Hyde were both injured in the win over the Minnesota Vikings and did not return to the game. Hyde re-aggravated a hip problem that bothered him throughout the week. Linsley departed early in the game and was replaced by backup JC Tretter.

Adams, who dealt with an ankle injury earlier in the season, limped off the field and received treatment on the sideline. He later returned to the game.

Ripkowski and Pennel are new additions to the injury report, meaning they were likely hurt against the Vikings.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley, Montgomery, Abbrederis still out.

Bulaga, Hyde, and Pennel all practiced.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/353194541.html
Green Bay — The Green Bay Packers conducted what coach Mike McCarthy called a combination practice Tuesday, blending together elements of a typical Wednesday and Thursday in a short week of preparation.

The players took the field on a calm, sunny day in just shells — no pads — for what will be an important bit of work prior to the Thanksgiving game against the Chicago Bears.

Center Corey Linsley did not practice Tuesday after suffering an ankle injury in the win over the Minnesota Vikings. He watched the rest of the offensive line, including backup center JC Tretter, from the sideline.

Rookie receiver Ty Montgomery also missed practice. Mongtomery appeared to be making good progress last week when he was a full participant in Wednesday's session, but Thursday brought with it a setback.

He dropped out of practice last Thursday and has not taken the field since.

Also missing from the receiving group was Jared Abbrederis, who is still recovering from a big hit suffered against the Detroit Lions. Abbrederis is dealing with a rib/chest injury that McCarthy said would keep him out several weeks.

Tight end Andrew Quarless is eligible to play this week after being placed on injured reserve/designated to return, though it appears unlikely he will feature against the Bears.

Quarless was eligible to practice after six weeks on IR/designated to return but has not taken the field. He typically does rehab work and goes through light drills off to the side.

Right tackle Bryan Bulaga, defensive back Micah Hyde and defensive tackle Mike Pennel — three players listed as DNPs on the Monday injury report approximations — participated in Tuesday's practice.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy announced during his press conference today that Ty Montgomery won´t be able to play tomorrow vs. the Bears.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's not playing, so literally anyone would be better.

But Montgomery could be a factor later in the season and the playoffs, something Ed Williams or any other street free agent probably won´t be able to provide.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Putting Montgomery on IR at this point removes him from the Roster for the year and puts someone like Ed Williams on it. Williams most likely would be a healthy inactive each game, so it really makes no sense to give up on Monty for the season. Now if staff feels like either Abby and/or Monty are not coming back anytime soon, then bringing in a street FA might be the next move.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Odds are at this point he won't be Cap. Just frustration on my part but what is it with this team and injuries. Is there a problem with their med staff? How they train? Are the players soft? I don't know of another team that goes through this all the time. Day to day in Green Bay is code for month to month.

D

Deleted member 6794

Odds are at this point he won't be Cap. Just frustration on my part but what is it with this team and injuries. Is there a problem with their med staff? How they train? Are the players soft? I don't know of another team that goes through this all the time. Day to day in Green Bay is code for month to month.

The Ravens have lost Flacco, Forsett, Smith and Suggs to season ending injuries. While the Packers seem to be banged up pretty well aside of Nelson they haven´t lost any impact players for the entire year though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the point. I was being facetious with the IR remark, but come on with this stuff.
And it's getting to the point where maybe the guy shouldn't be counted on for much, if anything, and that's if he makes it back at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's frustrating as a fan to watch YOUR team get hit with injuries, but I'm guessing that there are very few teams (and their fans) that aren't dealing with injuries all season. It just gets magnified for your own team, but its an obvious part of the game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Montgomery is dealing with a high ankle sprain and he came back too early. One month and one day after the sprain he was a full participant in practice but had to drop out. Here's a quote from a 11/19 story:
"It's been pretty frustrating," Montgomery said. "It just feels like it's a guessing game on when it's going to be ready, when it's going to be time. I just have to listen to my body and be smart. My body is my job. If my body is not taken care of, I can't perform."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...iver-ty-montgomery-b99619511z1-352033981.html

The injuries are frustrating. Last year was a great year for staying healthy and I assume they're doing the same things, so it seems like just bad luck. But over the past several years I think the Packers have been more "unlucky" than the average team so...

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Captain WIMM pointed out recently that the Packers have ranked 30th or lower in injuries 3 times in the last 5 years. At some point it's not bad luck, it's a problem somewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

Captain WIMM pointed out recently that the Packers have ranked 30th or lower in injuries 3 times in the last 5 years. At some point it's not bad luck, it's a problem somewhere.

The Packers made some extensive changes to their approach preventing injuries last season and finished in 3rd though. According to the only site that has information available for this season the team has only lost the 24th most team games missed to injuries. I´m not sure how reliable that source is though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Take an injury like a concussion. There really is not a lot a player/team can do to "train to prevent" this injury. Bad luck is going to dictate where your team ranks against other teams. Ankle sprains, ACL's, etc. almost the same thing...bad luck.

Now where the medical staff could be faulted is how they treat these injuries and/or if the player is rushed back too quickly. Besides off season conditioning programs and stretching before the game, there isn't going to be a lot a team can do to prevent most of these injuries, they occur due to the nature of the game and can occur more or less frequently depending on luck (good or bad).

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without doing any research and just putting this out there. Any of you think that the field has anything to do with all these ankle injuries this year?

They even mentioned it against the Lions how the field looked great, but the grass was very compact. Also that was a reason given to why the ball might have left weird on the potential game winner. But would that be causing some players to really stick their cleats on the grass and causing all these injuries? The field might look great, but be the one causing injuries?

D

Deleted member 6794

Bryan Bulaga suffered a sprained ankle in yesterday's game. The injury is considered minor but painful.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now where the medical staff could be faulted is how they treat these injuries and/or if the player is rushed back too quickly.
Which injuries? Unless you have inside information to particular injuries, there is no justification in questioning the treatment. "ankle" on the injury report could be a minor ankle sprain to a fracture. The treatment is based on the injury, as is the recovery. I suspect the medical staff is as good as any in the NFL.

Members online

Latest posts