Injury Update Thread

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob Demovsky
"Only two players not doing anything at Packers practice on Wednesday were receiver Davante Adams (knee) and cornerback Quinten Rollins (quad). Both were riding exercise bikes."

Wait, if they were completely injured, why would they be on the exercise bike? Wouldn't you risk getting injured further that way?

Riding a bike isn't the same as running, as it puts a lot less pressure on your knee. But, stationary bikes can also facilitate faster healing times for MCL injuries, so it's a good sign that the pain and swelling aren't prohibiting him at all in that regard. I quoted what I said yesterday in the Davante Adams thread below, but I'll reiterate that I'm not counting him out until I hear something more definitive from McCarthy.

Could definitely be coach speak or could be that Demovsky jumped on the gun on his source. His initial report was that Adams was unlikely to play because the MRI revealed a potential MCL sprain. That was the big breaking news. Since then he's been writing about it more definitively. In later reports he says Adams sprained his MCL, adding that it's an injury that takes a few weeks to a few months to heal. Did his source call him back within a few hours to tell him that or did he make the leap on his own? Also, that's a very broad recovery time that sounds like it was plucked straight from WebMD. As it stands, we have reports of a "potential sprain" and "unlikely to play" that are actually attributable to a scout. So that's what I'll go with until we hear further from McCarthy. Looking at it from another perspective though, Adams says he's fine, and the MRI only revealed a potential sprain, which likely means it's a low grade sprain at worse. You can come back from a minor sprain in 2 or 3 weeks. 1 week with the season on the line? Who knows. But that's just speculation and no better than Demovsky's "reporting".

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Riding a bike isn't the same as running, as it puts a lot less pressure on your knee. But, stationary bikes can also facilitate faster healing times for MCL injuries, so it's a good sign that the pain and swelling aren't prohibiting him at all in that regard. I quoted what I said yesterday in the Davante Adams thread below, but I'll reiterate that I'm not counting him out until I hear something more definitive from McCarthy.

I guess there have been instances where players have been out on good authority, but if anyone is looking for something out of MM on the positive side, good luck. When's the last time we had a player come back before (heck, even when) it was predicted?

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess there have been instances where players have been out on good authority, but if anyone is looking for something out of MM on the positive side, good luck. When's the last time we had a player come back before (heck, even when) it was predicted?

I meant more from the stance of the injury report on Friday, which will be more official than what can only be considered speculation at this point.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

My wife works in a PT's office. They have underwater bikes and treadmills that help athletes heal faster. Taking that pressure off and keeping the joint mobile apparently is a big aid to recuperation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wife works in a PT's office. They have underwater bikes and treadmills that help athletes heal faster. Taking that pressure off and keeping the joint mobile apparently is a big aid to recuperation.
THings have sure changed, rest, immobilization, were all the rage years ago. Especially after surgery, now if you're making enough as an athlete, they have people moving your just operated on joint before you even are fully out of anesthesia just to get ROM, circulation and put appropriate load on the soft tissues to promote healing.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quick Injury Round Up:

Everyone other than Davante Adams had at least limited participation in today's practice. McCarthy stated that Adams would need to practice tomorrow in order to have a shot to play on Saturday. Shields performed increased activities today and just needs to be cleared post-practice by the team doctor and an independent doctor to be ready for action. Quentin Rollins returned to practice today and was said to be moving well according to those who attended. Finally, Bakhtiari increased his workload today and it sounds like he's also trending in the right direction to return to the field on Saturday.

All in all, we're shaping up to have everyone but Adams active on Saturday night. Fingers crossed.

ETA:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bruce Wilkerson - and Howard Green - are the kind of low risk free agent acquisitions I'd like to see Thompson pursue more. I understand Green became available in-season but still... IMO Thompson really needs to bring in a vet - even if he's near the end of his career - to backup/play LT because he can't count on a draft pick or a player currently on the roster to fill that spot.
It's certainly a position we don't have the luxury of time in developing as a starter. I would raise that by using a compensatory pick (if available) on a player who has the versatility of playing both Tackle/Guard. Similar to another JC Tretter style all around O lineman.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Andrew Quarless posted on Instagram that his season is over. According to Tom Silverstein he didn't get cut or suspended.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andrew Quarless posted on Instagram that his season is over. According to Tom Silverstein he didn't get cut or suspended.

Reports are that his knee wasn't healing properly. My conspiracy theory is that Adams isn't playing Saturday and they wanted to promote another WR from the practice squad in case of emergency, but didn't want to put Adams on IR in hopes that he could potentially return next week (or the week after) if we can pull out a win or two without him.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I re-watched the Washington game last night. On Eddie Lacy's big run along the far sideline, Quarless was in perfect position to provide blocks on the last two players between Lacy and the endzone. Quarless jogged over the entire time and merely put his hands on a defender after Lacy had no choice but to run into one of them. With minimal effort, Andrew could have sprung Lacy for a TD. Instead he was lazy and disinterested. No loss. I doubt we will see him on the roster next September.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I re-watched the Washington game last night. On Eddie Lacy's big run along the far sideline, Quarless was in perfect position to provide blocks on the last two players between Lacy and the endzone. Quarless jogged over the entire time and merely put his hands on a defender after Lacy had no choice but to run into one of them. With minimal effort, Andrew could have sprung Lacy for a TD. Instead he was lazy and disinterested. No loss. I doubt we will see him on the roster next September.

Or maybe he jogged because his knee was flaring up which caused them to check it out and realize he needs to be on IR? Let's not jump to conclusions champ.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Adams officially ruled out. Shields and Rollins questionable. We really need one, if not both, of them to go tomorrow. Looks like we'll have Bakhtiari available too, despite his lack of participation today.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if Ed Williams or someone else will be brought up from the PS to take his Roster Spot. Or do the Packers just wait and see if they are still playing after Saturday?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if Ed Williams or someone else will be brought up from the PS to take his Roster Spot. Or do the Packers just wait and see if they are still playing after Saturday?
We'll probably bring up Ed Williams but he'll only play if another WR goes down.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We brought up Robertson Daniel (CB). Interesting move, but I guess we're thin in the secondary with Shields and Rollins both questionable.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bummer. That really hurts if he can't play.

ETA: After tracking down the source of that information, it sounds like Shields just hadn't been cleared immediately after practice yesterday during the media session. I don't know what the timeline generally is for players in the concussion protocol to meet with doctors, so that may or may not mean anything. He's listed as questionable, so that means the Packers are giving him about a 50/50 shot to play.

It's getting hard to remain optimistic about this one. Adams already out. Strong probability that Shields could be out. Maybe even Rollins. Our margin for error tomorrow night is getting slimmer by the hour.

Last edited: