Injuries

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sick of the injuries!

Please let's keep all injury news into this thread.
Most concerning tonight appear to me to be:

OLB Nick Perry
ILB DJ Smith
CB Sam Shields
CB Brandon Saine

Perry's scares me that it's the torn ACL. He's very good and was getting better. Strong like bull. I like our depth there, but really want him to come back. Please don't be a torn ACL.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Green Bay Packers outside linebacker Nick Perry (53) lays on the ground after being injured against the Houston Texans in the second quarter of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 14, 2012, in Houston. (AP Photo/Dave Einsel)

Smith they said was an achilles. I never see torn achilles look like that so I hope he's back. He's already filling in for Pro Bowl quality Desmond Bishop.

To me, even though Shields looked mad, that didn't look serious.

I never saw Saine... did that happen on special teams? His reaction makes me think torn ACL too. Dammit.

Please refresh all of these (and others I missed) with the injury news.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DJ scared me the most. I didn't see Perry get hurt. I think at worst Shields has a painful bone bruise from the kick. I don't really care about Saine.

SoCalPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Perry's is too serious. I mean he was shown on the sidelines standing up but who knows. A knee injury is always the scariest thing. Hope it's just a sprain and nothing more

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields' looked like a bruise. God I hope Perry didn't sustain a torn ACL. That would be a big blow for us because we need Perry to develop into a solid pass rusher.

DJ Smith injury didn't see, but with Bishop gone for the season we can't exactly afford to lost him. Who are our reserve ILBs?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I am sick of the injuries!

Please let's keep all injury news into this thread.
Most concerning tonight appear to me to be:

OLB Nick Perry
ILB DJ Smith
CB Sam Shields
CB Brandon Saine

Perry's scares me that it's the torn ACL. He's very good and was getting better. Strong like bull. I like our depth there, but really want him to come back. Please don't be a torn ACL.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Green Bay Packers outside linebacker Nick Perry (53) lays on the ground after being injured against the Houston Texans in the second quarter of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 14, 2012, in Houston. (AP Photo/Dave Einsel)

Smith they said was an achilles. I never see torn achilles look like that so I hope he's back. He's already filling in for Pro Bowl quality Desmond Bishop.

To me, even though Shields looked mad, that didn't look serious.

I never saw Saine... did that happen on special teams? His reaction makes me think torn ACL too. Dammit.

Please refresh all of these (and others I missed) with the injury news.
How was A-rod he had a noticeable gimp?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Saine had to be on kickoff after blocked punt...He was on cart after it..

Perry WAS standing on sideline laughing with teamates

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't care about Saine? Benson is out, and if Saine is out that ONLY leaves Green (who looked good, BTW.) and Starks. Not too much depth left.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't care about Saine? Benson is out, and if Saine is out that ONLY leaves Green (who looked good, BTW.) and Starks. Not too much depth left.
They will get someone on the PS if Saine is out for the year, actually that guy from camp might be on the PS right now. Benson will be back in December.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Perry will be OK, Saine and Smith are likely out for the year. I have a feeling it is a torn ACL for Saine and not sure about Smith. I got the impression they kept Perry out as a precaution.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wonder who the starter at ILB is next to Hawk now? I was surprised to see Brad Jones take over instead of Francois, but maybe they see Francois as mostly a "buck" LB - the position Hawk plays. Remember Francois started two games last year for Hawk and recorded 21 tackles, 2 INTs and defended 3 passes in those two games. The D certainly misses Bishop and now with DJ out, they're down to a "third string" guy. But credit Thompson for having options available - Lattimore is in the mix as well. In addition to the three above, I wonder how Terrell Manning is progressing after his training camp battle with colitis? He probably doesn't know the D well enough yet but Thompson traded up for him because he's talented.

How could a Packers fan not care about a Packer getting injured? Obviously the staff had him on the field for a reason - they believe he's better than anyone on the PS and any player they could pick up off the street. At the very least every injury thins the depth on the team. And IMO Saine was solid at RB last season - he knew his assignments and I thought he was OK running and catching the ball and picking up the blitz.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at the DJ Smith play you see he gets blindsided and takes a shot to the head...how in the world did this turn into an achilles injury? i thought he had suffered a head or neck injury just to be helped off the field unable to put pressure on his right leg. Next man up.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the drop off from Bishop to Smith will be much more significant than the drop off from Smith to whoever takes over. No offense meant to Smith: The staff had their reasons why he was starting. Whatever deficiencies the replacement has vs. Smith, I'm hoping he can cover better than either Hawk or Smith. It seems to me Francois has a shot at doing that. Brad Jones hasn't impressed me - I thought he'd be waived in the last roster cuts - but if he's the choice to start I hope he's much better at ILB than he was at OLB. I'm always anxious to be proven wrong about Packers, if my being wrong benefits the team.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM said that we lucked out with Perry. He'll be OK. Amen. Shields hurts more than anything..A kick in the shin. DJ and Saine are done for this year. And we signed a cast off back from Buffalo.
Hopefully, Zombo and Sherrod can get into practice because they will be needed ASAP. If Quarless can get on the field special teams will be the first place he'll go.
Like to see Jennings and Raji get back out there next week.

H

HardRightEdge

I wonder who the starter at ILB is next to Hawk now? I was surprised to see Brad Jones take over instead of Francois, but maybe they see Francois as mostly a "buck" LB - the position Hawk plays. Remember Francois started two games last year for Hawk and recorded 21 tackles, 2 INTs and defended 3 passes in those two games. The D certainly misses Bishop and now with DJ out, they're down to a "third string" guy. But credit Thompson for having options available - Lattimore is in the mix as well. In addition to the three above, I wonder how Terrell Manning is progressing after his training camp battle with colitis? He probably doesn't know the D well enough yet but Thompson traded up for him because he's talented.

How could a Packers fan not care about a Packer getting injured? Obviously the staff had him on the field for a reason - they believe he's better than anyone on the PS and any player they could pick up off the street. At the very least every injury thins the depth on the team. And IMO Saine was solid at RB last season - he knew his assignments and I thought he was OK running and catching the ball and picking up the blitz.

Jones and Francois have been around for a few years now, they're known quantities, and Jones, a former starter, was the choice. I didn't see anything in his play against HOU to indicate they'll change that. He's not a playmaker, not especially physical, but assignment-sure (not a Francois strength). He'll likely get the most snaps against the Rams.

Green was a pleasant surprise, sort of. He's quick to the hole and has good lateral agility, but he plays smaller than his 225 lbs...he ducks contact, doesn't break tackles, doesn't show much second effort, and doesn't move the pile. Seine's more of north-south guy, and didn't show much last season running the ball in this scheme...a better receiver than runner in my opinion. Our best bet is Starks gets into contact condition, shows some of the form that made us like him in 2010, and gets productive at least in rotation. The fact you get at most one padded practice per week works against Starks getting into game shape...a little garbage time is probably not enough.

The HOU game notwithstanding, the lack of a reliable runner will cost us again at some point this season. Buffalo has a strong record finding/developing running backs going back some ways. Maybe this new guy White can show something in a few weeks after he gets his feet wet, though coming in mid-year he's likely just an emergency option if Starks gets hurt again which has been the pattern.

Members online

Latest posts