Injuries Comparison - 49ers vs. Packers

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga was one of the best RT in the game, so yes. As for Benson, you obviously don't seem to think so.

We played a WR down almost all of our games.

Just because our players don't fit your "Elite" bill doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to lose them or that they aren't important or even damn fine players, and if they manage to beat your "elite" boys that will only further prove it.

Of COURSE it hurts. I never said otherwise. All we are talking about is the DEGREE of hurt.

Your team has a great chance to beat the Niners. Again...never said otherwise.

However...don't you think you guys have a better chance if Justin Smith isn't his normal self?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Of COURSE it hurts. I never said otherwise. All we are talking about is the DEGREE of hurt.

Your team has a great chance to beat the Niners. Again...never said otherwise.

However...don't you think you guys have a better chance if Justin Smith isn't his normal self?
Degree of hurt is inversely proportionate to ability of your backups

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Degree of hurt is inversely proportionate to ability of your backups

Of course...

...but at this point I dunno even what we are arguing about. That has nothing to do with my point.

This whole thing was just about whether losing players at the same positions on teams built very differently was equateable. I say no. You seem to think its the same.

I have a feeling niether of us is changing that position.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Of course...

...but at this point I dunno even what we are arguing about. That has nothing to do with my point.

This whole thing was just about whether losing players at the same positions on teams built very differently was equateable. I say no. You seem to think its the same.

I have a feeling niether of us is changing that position.
We're arguing because you're making it seem like our starters aren't fit to be backups on your squad with the exception of "Rodgers and a couple of receivers" Fact is, as great as Rodgers is, he can't win by himself. You devalue our starters and the effect that losing them has had on our team. We have done incredibly well in spite of all the horrible injuries we suffered, and that's not because our starters suck.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'll even go so far as to say that in terms of pure man coverage I believe our CB could hang with any of yours, Sitton could easily fit in on your line, one or two of our RB could make your roster over Hunter, and I think Raji is better than Sopoaga. I'll even say Clay would trash any of your OLB, even Aldon.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did someone really make a argument referencing the # of pro bowlers they had. Jeff Saturday is a pro bowler for us. :roflmao:

HyponGrey is correct. It's silly to say that the loss of an important player on our defense such as Bishop is less important than losing a player on a defense that is very good.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Losing Bishop is not as important as them losing Willis. Just like losing Kaep is not as important as us losing Rodgers. Or, us losing Clay is more important than us losing Perry on the other side.

That's my opinion. Hypon is not correct or incorrect. It's just his opinion.

I happen to agree with Marvin.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides Bishop, other losses that really would have answered questions this season were Nick Perry, Sherrod, and Bulaga. Perry was new but could have been a force during the games that we did not have Matthews and may have made a difference along with Woodson when we went to Minnesota.
Our offensive line is not one of the better ones in the league. But maybe with these guys out there we could have fared better in NY and ARod might not have 51 sacks all said.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Bishop is not as important as them losing Willis. Just like losing Kaep is not as important as us losing Rodgers. Or, us losing Clay is more important than us losing Perry on the other side.

That's my opinion. Hypon is not correct or incorrect. It's just his opinion.

I happen to agree with Marvin.

A defense that has a # of quality players doesn't suffer like one that is let's say average that losses a Bishop or Matthews. A very good defense still has a # of quality players to pick up the slack. So it's my opinion that Hypon's opinion is correct and I'm sticking to it.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's never fun to see injuries - particularly gruesome ones, like the one to Bowman. But, I bet Frank had a grin on his face, for even just a second, when Iupati and Bowman suffered those injuries.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I know it's never fun to see injuries - particularly gruesome ones, like the one to Bowman. But, I bet Frank had a grin on his face, for even just a second, when Iupati and Bowman suffered those injuries.

Yeah, I thought about Frank, too.

After watching two of their key starters go down, I couldn't help but think, "Welcome to our world, 49er fans..."

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vewwwy funny.

There's a national football fan website I am on, where there are some popular posters from the 49ers fans.
And I am more "famous" (notorious) for b*tching about ALL our injuries and their LACK of injuries specifically.

Anytime there's a Niner down during a big game, people post them thinking about me, and that was tonight twice.

But here's the thing: All week, I let it be known there that I was betting on SF and was a big Niner fan this game!
And look what happened. Amazing. Am I a jinx or did their ridiculous luck finally catch up to them?

That was a normal casualty list for us.... we have many games where we lose 2 key guys.
Case in point, 2 weeks ago, first drive, against them.

I do hate to see anyone suffer gruesome knee & leg injuries though.
Any team.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vewwwy funny.

There's a national football fan website I am on, where there are some popular posters from the 49ers fans.
And I am more "famous" (notorious) for b*tching about ALL our injuries and their LACK of injuries specifically.

Anytime there's a Niner down during a big game, people post them thinking about me, and that was tonight twice.

But here's the thing: All week, I let it be known there that I was betting on SF and was a big Niner fan this game!
And look what happened. Amazing. Am I a jinx or did their ridiculous luck finally catch up to them?

That was a normal casualty list for us.... we have many games where we lose 2 key guys.
Case in point, 2 weeks ago, first drive, against them.

I do hate to see anyone suffer gruesome knee & leg injuries though.
Any team.
Seems to me that you need to find a new "favorite" team.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me that you need to find a new "favorite" team.
It's down to Denver.

I hope the back refs don't let the Seahawks keep holding and grabbing the Bronco receivers though.
They got away with dozens today, as we saw on replays and a few of which even Aikman called out.
For all that we see occur, there are about 2 or 3 going on we don't see.
Seattle has perfected the art of pass interference.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...hawks-have-perfected-art-of-pass-interference

EyeOn
Football

Kevin Gilbride: Seahawks have perfected art of pass interference

For the Seahawks defense, it ain't cheating if you don't get caught.

That aggressiveness has been a hallmark of the Seahawks' ball-hawking defense, one that critics and admirers alike -- including Gilbride -- say often skirts the rules with little consequence from officials.

"If you think they're going to be called (for defensive holding or pass interference) and expect that to be the solution to the problem, you're going to be sadly mistaken," Gilbride told the Wall Street Journal recently, adding that the Seahawks could be called for pass interference on nearly every play. "They've perfected the art."

Last edited by a moderator:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's down to Denver.

I hope the back refs don't let the Seahawks keep holding and grabbing the Bronco receivers though.
They got away with dozens today, as we saw on replays and a few of which even Aikman called out.
For all that we see occur, there are about 2 or 3 going on we don't see.
Seattle has perfected the art of pass interference.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...hawks-have-perfected-art-of-pass-interference

EyeOn
Football

Kevin Gilbride: Seahawks have perfected art of pass interference

For the Seahawks defense, it ain't cheating if you don't get caught.

Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride retired earlier this month but he's still perfectly qualified to speak on the Seahawks' defense, which gave New York fits back in Week 15. When it was over, Seattle cruised to a 23-0 win, holding Eli Manning to 156 passing yards (to his own teammates, anyway) and a mind-boggling five interceptions.

That aggressiveness has been a hallmark of the Seahawks' ball-hawking defense, one that critics and admirers alike -- including Gilbride -- say often skirts the rules with little consequence from officials.

"If you think they're going to be called (for defensive holding or pass interference) and expect that to be the solution to the problem, you're going to be sadly mistaken," Gilbride told the Wall Street Journal recently, adding that the Seahawks could be called for pass interference on nearly every play. "They've perfected the art."

Giants wide receiver Louis Murphy said Seattle's secondary "just don't seem to care about the rules," and former NFL VP of Officiating Mike Pereira thinks the Seahawks are taking advantage of the officials' inconsistently when it comes to throwing flags.

"They look at it and say, 'We may get called for one but not 10,'" Pereria noted.

Meanwhile, the NFL has instructed officials to call playoff games just like they called regular-season games.

"The philosophy in the postseason, the direction is no different from the regular season when we talk with our officials,” current VP of Officials Dean Blandino said, via PFT.com.

If this holds true for Saturday's NFC Divisional matchup between the Saints and Seahawks, Drew Brees and New Orleans' offense could be in for a long afternoon.

I seam to remember a time not long ago when the Packers secondary was accused of getting away with murder.

The comment about calling playoff games like regular games is bogus. They've been letting them play in the playoffs, as usual. (That's how it should be)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seam to remember a time not long ago when the Packers secondary was accused of getting away with murder.
Woodson especially.
He got away with it, perfected it, for a little while.... but then he got called. And called again... and then he had the reputation and the zebras would call him early, and he'd have to stop the grabbing. That resulted in what appeared to be him losing a step overnight.

Seattle has been called out publicly time and time again this past half-season, and the NFL & Zebra Association have not cracked down on them yet, for some reason. They better.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson especially.
He got away with it, perfected it, for a little while.... but then he got called. And called again... and then he had the reputation and the zebras would call him early, and he'd have to stop the grabbing. That resulted in what appeared to be him losing a step overnight.

Seattle has been called out publicly time and time again this past half-season, and the NFL & Zebra Association have not cracked down on them yet, for some reason. They better.
Or what? You are going to start rooting for the Seattle DBs so they get injured? ;)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or what? You are going to start rooting for the Seattle DBs so they get injured? ;)
I never like knee injuries.
Sherman and Chancellor and Earl Thomas busting their thumb, like Matthews had.
Or a bone bruise like Shields got.
Or a strained hamstring like Casey Hayward got.

Those won't bother me at all ;)
But really, I just want to see FLAG CITY on them early on.... force them to stop their cheating grabbing.
I remember a game, loss at Chicago, for us 3 or 4 years ago (only win Cutler has over us) Where the zebra's flagged us 19 times! 2 denied Interceptions for our defense.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never like knee injuries.
Sherman and Chancellor and Earl Thomas busting their thumb, like Matthews had.
Or a bone bruise like Shields got.
Or a strained hamstring like Casey Hayward got.

Those won't bother me at all ;)
But really, I just want to see FLAG CITY on them early on.... force them to stop their cheating grabbing.
I remember a game, loss at Chicago, for us 3 or 4 years ago (only win Cutler has over us) Where the zebra's flagged us 19 times! 2 denied Interceptions for our defense.

Could not disagree more. Let them play. Not saying don't call anything... but it has gotten ridiculous in the NFL. There is nothing worse than a corner or safety making a great great athletic play and getting called for hardly touching a receiver. Let the players decide the outcome. IMO

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could not disagree more. Let them play. Not saying don't call anything... but it has gotten ridiculous in the NFL. There is nothing worse than a corner or safety making a great great athletic play and getting called for hardly touching a receiver. Let the players decide the outcome. IMO
I'm talking ab out the quick double-moves, where the CB quickly grabs the WR jersey as they are about to run past them.
Or the crossing patterns where Jordy or Cobb get to the inside and are about to separate across the field, when the CB grabs the jersey. THOSE illegal holds slow down the WR and allow the DB to stay right there even though they are beaten.

The same things Woodson got away with from 2008-2009 regularily, but then started getting called.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm talking ab out the quick double-moves, where the CB quickly grabs the WR jersey as they are about to run past them.
Or the crossing patterns where Jordy or Cobb get to the inside and are about to separate across the field, when the CB grabs the jersey. THOSE illegal holds slow down the WR and allow the DB to stay right there even though they are beaten.

The same things Woodson got away with from 2008-2009 regularily, but then started getting called.

oooohhh...ok...I agree with you on that.

Members online

Latest posts