In the NFL draft the Packers pick .....

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I'm not saying he doesn't have the physical tools. I'm not saying he looked bad at the workouts. He is very impressive, but I just don't think he is as much of a finished product because he didn't go to a major football school. Young has a leg up because he was a heisman runner up and has a NCAA championship under his belt. He has more experience playing against some of the best players in college football. I see Cutler as somebody who is good for a team to develop over like 4 or 5 years, not a top ten pick that is expected to start in a year or two. Throwing well in workouts is one thing but running an entire offense is something else entirely and Young is more prepared.

I disagree with not playing against top talent. Cutler played in the SEC for 4 years. The SEC is one of the top football conferences in the Nation and maybe even the top conference the last 4 seasons. I also disagree with Cutler being a 4-5 year project. No QB's are giving that long to develop now a days. Usually the most a QB gets is 2 years and maybe 3. After that your shown the high way. Harrington got 4 years and is gone now. Most Lions fans will tell you they've wanted Harrington out for years now. I think Cutler is clearly a top 10 talent but that doesn't mean he'll end up being the next Favre like people are saying. For every Peyton Manning there's a Ryan Leaf and Cutler could very well be a Bust because of the lack of big game experience, but the lack of big game experience shouldn't move him out of the top 10 in my opinion.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Young has a leg up because he was a heisman runner up and has a NCAA championship under his belt. He has more experience playing against some of the best players in college football.

it's sad to say, but the ghost or eric crouch still lurks in the back of NFL general managers' minds. i know it's not exactly the same as young, cuz crouch was moved directly to WR, but their college careers were similar. you know what i'm saying

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
SuperRat said:
Young has a leg up because he was a heisman runner up and has a NCAA championship under his belt. He has more experience playing against some of the best players in college football.

it's sad to say, but the ghost or eric crouch still lurks in the back of NFL general managers' minds. i know it's not exactly the same as young, cuz crouch was moved directly to WR, but their college careers were similar. you know what i'm saying
Crouch is a JOKE. QB, WR, KR anything, he is lame. I lived in NE while he was at the helm out here and everyone lived on every word he said and every play he made (or that his line busted open for him to dance through). I called it that he would never hack it in the NFL and thus far he hasn't. I would prefer if the Pack would quit bringing him into to camp as they have for a few seasons and just let him play on his CFL team or where ever he has wound up!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
SuperRat said:

I disagree. Crouch was never the passer Young is. Young was in the top 3 in passing efficiency. Young won a National Title. Young put in perhaps the single greatest game ever in the BCS era. Young has poised to be a QB and he has the size to go along with it. Both are entirely different prospects.

If anything Eric Crouch was closer to an Antwaun Randel El in terms of a prospect. Crouch just went to a better football program.

OP
OP
P

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His Wonderlich will prevent some teams from taking him since it will be difficult for him to learn a complicated offense. I saw the USC game, they are not the equivalent of any NFL team and he will face bigger and faster defensive players. Vick is the most overrated player in the league.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
I doubt VY has fallen that much if any. This kind of talk always comes up as it gets closer to draft day. It's all just to dissuade teams from trading up to get a certain player. Happens every year.

EDIT How many of you would have taken VY the day after the Rose Bowl? He's still the same player....

:roll: For your information Young was already dropped to #10 on the scouts listing and apparently a lot of teams have an issue with his lack of under center time and certainly could drop further. Obviously Leinart has to go in the top three choices anyway. And I am one that wouldn't touch Young with a ten foot pole. Don't believe for one minute he would be a good fit in GB's offense. Also not a cold weathe rplayer.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not saying crouch and Vince young are equal, talent wise... not even close. what i'm saying is they BOTH played for a top tier team, BOTH were Heisman candidates (Crouch won it), and both rely on their legs far more than their arms. Young did put in possibly the greatest BCS performance, but he certainly didn't do it with his arm. all i'm getting at is that just because of young's accomplishments, and the fact that cutler didn't play for a great team, doesn't mean that young is a more attractive NFL prospect than Cutler.

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chibiabos said:
:roll: For your information Young was already dropped to #10 on the scouts listing and apparently a lot of teams have an issue with his lack of under center time and certainly could drop further. Obviously Leinart has to go in the top three choices anyway. And I am one that wouldn't touch Young with a ten foot pole. Don't believe for one minute he would be a good fit in GB's offense. Also not a cold weathe rplayer.
:roll: For your information, I know that his stock has fallen, but I stated in my post why. Maybe you could go back and read that, eh? "Lack of under center time," huh?....

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chibiabos said:
JeezusJuice said:
I doubt VY has fallen that much if any. This kind of talk always comes up as it gets closer to draft day. It's all just to dissuade teams from trading up to get a certain player. Happens every year.

EDIT How many of you would have taken VY the day after the Rose Bowl? He's still the same player....

Oh you talking NFL DRaft countdown.. Yeah he had Aaron Rodgers going #3 to the Browns last year as well in his final mock. Check the archives.. How'd that turn out.

I think all 3 QB's will go in the top 10 especially if the JP Losman being traded rumors are true.

TNPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK my two cents.

1. Jets-Bush, Jets realize that Bush will bring excitement back to NY. They overpay to swap places with Texans, who really do not need him anyway. I know they need a QB, but Bush will fill the seats.

2. Saints-Williams, Best player available whether they need him or not.

3. Titans-Leinart, Norm and Matt reunited in Nashville

4. Texans-Ferguson, Get the player they really wanted anyway without the second guessing.

5. Raiders-Young, Packers are in the catbird seat. If they stay here, Hawk is the obvious choice, but look for TT to hear a lot of trade proposals in that 15 minutes, my guess is one will be too good to pass up, with the Raiders and Bills doing most of the talk. This Al Davis at his best, overpaying.

6. 49ers-Davis, Thats one offensive threat for San Fran, 4 to go

7. Packers-Hawk, get the player here they were going to get at 5, plus an additional 2nd. Thanks Al.

8. Buffalo-Cutler, The next Jim Kelly, mark it down now.

9. Detroit-Huff, although they are tempted to take a WR here.

10.Arizona-Williams, Deangelo gets to learn from the Edge. Good teacher.

Before you rip me up, just remember its just guessing like every other mock draft is.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TNPackerFan said:
OK my two cents.

1. Jets-Bush, Jets realize that Bush will bring excitement back to NY. They overpay to swap places with Texans, who really do not need him anyway. I know they need a QB, but Bush will fill the seats.

2. Saints-Williams, Best player available whether they need him or not.

3. Titans-Leinart, Norm and Matt reunited in Nashville

4. Texans-Ferguson, Get the player they really wanted anyway without the second guessing.

5. Raiders-Young, Packers are in the catbird seat. If they stay here, Hawk is the obvious choice, but look for TT to hear a lot of trade proposals in that 15 minutes, my guess is one will be too good to pass up, with the Raiders and Bills doing most of the talk. This Al Davis at his best, overpaying.

6. 49ers-Davis, Thats one offensive threat for San Fran, 4 to go

7. Packers-Hawk, get the player here they were going to get at 5, plus an additional 2nd. Thanks Al.

8. Buffalo-Cutler, The next Jim Kelly, mark it down now.

9. Detroit-Huff, although they are tempted to take a WR here.

10.Arizona-Williams, Deangelo gets to learn from the Edge. Good teacher.

Before you rip me up, just remember its just guessing like every other mock draft is.

I like your proposal TN, however, I think if the Houston trades back before the Saints pick, NO will take D'brick and acquire some of Houston's trade. NO doesn't need DE's and could use D'brick themselves. Those first four picks are going to be interesting.

You guys are hashing out a pretty good argument with Young. The best thing for Young would be to go to a team that would sit him for a year or two ala Steve McNair. But put me in Chibiabos' camp where I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole either. Young doesn't belong in a WCO, so that will limit the amount of teams that will take him.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
You guys are crazy. VY is a winner, that's what you need, not mechanics, not a Harvard graduate, a winner.

Ken Dorsey and Craig Krentzal(sp?) won a lot of games in college. How'd that turn out :wink:

There's definitely more examples too, but those guys are pretty recent so they're at the top of my head.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wonderlic aside, Youngs performance vs USC was pretty amazing.

(I still dont really want to draft him if Favre retires)

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
wonderlic aside, Youngs performance vs USC was pretty amazing.

(I still dont really want to draft him if Favre retires)

a great performance indeed, but he looked like an option quarterback in that game...thats what really bugged me about it. i was more disgusted with USC's defense than anything.

(i also read and understand that you still don't want to draft him if Favre retires.)

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toronto_Cheesehead said:
JeezusJuice said:
You guys are crazy. VY is a winner, that's what you need, not mechanics, not a Harvard graduate, a winner.

Ken Dorsey and Craig Krentzal(sp?) won a lot of games in college. How'd that turn out :wink:

There's definitely more examples too, but those guys are pretty recent so they're at the top of my head.
You can't seriosuly compare their performances to VY's.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
Toronto_Cheesehead said:
JeezusJuice said:

You can't seriosuly compare their performances to VY's.

No, but they won, and you seem to think VY will be successful in the NFL because he was a winner in college. Just because he was more flashy, doens't mean he'll be anymore successful.

I'm not trying to rag on VY. He's a great talent, but he needs some work before he can step up and be a solid starter in the NFL.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really think that Vince Young will be anything more than a Michael Vick. He may be a starter somewhere but he will be a below average passer. I'm just saying that Young is more likely to be drafted higher based on his accomplishments in college, being runner up in the heisman voting and winning a championship. Cutler has been hyped way too much. I'm not saying he will be a bad nfl quarterback or will be a worse nfl qb than Young, I just think he isn't as prepared as Young and is more of a developmental guy.

Members online

Latest posts