In Sander's Defense?

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the last two games the Packers have played shut down defense. In another topic I had posted about how I thought we could build around defense given the talent we have for the short term future. Personally it was therefore great to see the defense make up for a spluttering offense and win two games.

Do you think this is just a flash in the pan and the jury's still out on Sanders? Or has it been just a question of time and patience and with that this defense has come together? Sure there are still question marks such as Manuel, KGB and overall lack of depth but do you think Sanders has what it takes or are you calling for a new DC to go with the new OC?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say give Sanders more time but get rid of Schottenheimer and replace Manuel.
I don't like the idea of changing coordinators every year. We will never have any continuity if we continue doing that.

OP
OP
D

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers now rank 13th in the league in defense, 17th against the pass and 14th against the run. Don't ask me how that makes them 13th overall but wow, what a turn around!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Packers now rank 13th in the league in defense, 17th against the pass and 14th against the run. Don't ask me how that makes them 13th overall but wow, what a turn around!

And we've played one game more than the others.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we'vep layed against inept offenses for these past 2 games. This defense may be ranked 13th statistically, but in reality, they are in the lower twenties.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we'vep layed against inept offenses for these past 2 games. This defense may be ranked 13th statistically, but in reality, they are in the lower twenties.

I'm sorry, but who we play is completely irrelevant. We're talking about statistical rankings. To say that they're skewed because we've played one more game couldn't be more right. To say that they're skewed because of who we just played is wrong. The rankings take an average of the entire season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think this is just a flash in the pan and the jury's still out on Sanders? Or has it been just a question of time and patience and with that this defense has come together? Sure there are still question marks such as Manuel, KGB and overall lack of depth but do you think Sanders has what it takes or are you calling for a new DC to go with the new OC?

Good question.

I personally have taken the stance(and this is before the season started, you probably heard me say it 242677 times) that the team would "take time" "need time" "improve" "grow" "need time to come together" and it appears to have really started to pick up(oline and defense in general).

I was a Sanders supporter. I was sad the Bates thing didn't work out, but to be honest I didn't like his pouting style when he left. Sanders had a solid rep, and would keep the scheme the same, to which Al Harris said "Thank God" about.

Sanders has coaches Dline and had success in his career. He has coached linebackers with success in his career. He had NEVER coached DBs before, and was going to rely heavily on his coaches(Washington and Shotty) while he adjusted to the job.

Well early on our Dline and Lbs were 'ok' but improved as the season went on(which is what you want, obviously) and at this time, is naaaaaaaaaasty! The DBs started out 'horrible' which was insane, cuz we have al harris and chuck woodson...so why was this happening. We had even cut Ahmad Carroll and still struggled. Then THAT got turned around as the team grew and got to know eachother.

And who honestly thought the defense with Hawk,Barnett,Kampman,Pickett, Collins, Al Harris, Woodson, and Jenkins(thats for me, who have been saying hes good for years now but nobody listens to me ever) would NOT get it done? It would take a huge disappointment for that to happen. The only thing that happened was it took longer than any of us would have liked, I imagine.

And Sanders has balls, and I like balls. You have to think he is a big reason KGb got benched...and...that is awesome! Good job, Bob!

But the defense was a focal point this past offseason and the D only has 1 or 2 holes to patch up for 2007, and the focal point this offseason is obviously the offensive side of the ball(tight end, wr's,rb)

So do actually answer your question now, instead of ranting(my bad), I don't think this is a flash in the pan performance and I still like Sanders as DC, but I still am of the opinion that Shotty\Washington are not good enough coaches to be on this staff.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say give Sanders more time but get rid of Schottenheimer and replace Manuel.
I don't like the idea of changing coordinators every year. We will never have any continuity if we continue doing that.

You beat me to it. That's exactly what I was going to say.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

I'm sorry, but who we play is completely irrelevant. We're talking about statistical rankings. To say that they're skewed because we've played one more game couldn't be more right. To say that they're skewed because of who we just played is wrong. The rankings take an average of the entire season.

You've got to be kidding me!

Last year, we were ranked #1 against the pass. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that that was because teams were just running the ball all over us.

While our defense is playing better, we played the likes of the Lions and Vikings these past 2 games. Kitna and Jackson as the QB's.

Our defense struggles whenever they play a formidable opponent. Our pass rush is non-existent. The run defense becomes poorer and receivers suddenly are wide open in the middle of the field.

Here's a stat for you:

The Packers have 44 sacks. They had just 11 against: Bears, Saints, Eagles, Patriots, Seahawks, Jets. That's less than 2 a game. Our defense isn't as good as you might like it too bad. They're merely profiting form playing bad teams.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some good points Trom.

As to the comments about the defense looking good against bad offenses-
This defense was horrible earlier in the season and it has become very respectable. Yes it's true that they looked good against 2 less than great offenses these past couple of weeks but they gave up 24 points in week 3 to the Lions and only 9 in week 15. They are showing improvement.

OP
OP
D

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess a good measure of the improvement is going to come against the Bears. Here's a great opportunity to show just how improved this defense really is.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Packersfan43084 said:

You've got to be kidding me!

Last year, we were ranked #1 against the pass. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that that was because teams were just running the ball all over us.

While our defense is playing better, we played the likes of the Lions and Vikings these past 2 games. Kitna and Jackson as the QB's.

Our defense struggles whenever they play a formidable opponent. Our pass rush is non-existent. The run defense becomes poorer and receivers suddenly are wide open in the middle of the field.

Here's a stat for you:

The Packers have 44 sacks. They had just 11 against: Bears, Saints, Eagles, Patriots, Seahawks, Jets. That's less than 2 a game. Our defense isn't as good as you might like it too bad. They're merely profiting form playing bad teams.

Let's see how we do against the Bears again next Sunday now that Jenkins has replaced KGB at the other DE position.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts