1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

In regards to the defense

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackerTraxx, Sep 9, 2005.

1. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Most fans are concerned about the Packer defense. They are young and learning.

Would you expect to see a bend but don't break type of defense or a more aggressive defense that makes big plays but also gives some up? And which do you prefer?

I hope and think they will try more aggressive and then back off if they need to. If aggresive is working, I hope they don't get conservative later in the game.

2. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you mean "bend but don't break" :wink:

I would prefer the bend but don't break style. I think as long as we can stop the big plays (TD's, long completions and long runs) we will make dramatic improvements. But I think that we MUST make stops on third downs on about 70%-75% of the time in order to be a solid D. I think as the year goes on, you will see the D improve, and adopt more of a bend but won't break philosophy. I think agressiveness is a disaster waiting to happen. Last year, it was only a week before our gaps were exposed from being aggressive. I sure can't bear to watch that again. Just talking about it brings back bad memories. :cry:

3. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You are right da packers. The right side didn't know what the left side was doing. :oops:

It may make more sense to feel the Lions out first, but I would like to see some aggressiveness to not let Harrington get comfortable or in a rythim.

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I would like us to not be too aggressive. We tried that last year..and it sucked. But this is bates, and I have faith.

BUT...i still say we sit back...play our brand of defense(whichever that is...we dont know yet..cuz we seen the base defense only in preseason) and let joey make his own mistakes, and try to get pressure up front...eventually he will mess up. he has built a career out of it. Smart,calm,collective...and GOOD TACKLING.

5. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I would say we're gonna see the Bates Defense in this game... that we saw against the Bills, the second time around... The QB will get almost nothing downfield... unless Ahmad Carroll is on the field.

It's up front.... stopping the run.. where I'm concerned.

6. ORRELSE

ORRELSE Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Me too.

i think we are also going to have to blitz more than Bates prefers to get any pressure on the QB. That's fine with me. I love watching delayed LB blitzes and CB blitzes. Just not every play.....errrr...Slowik style.