1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

In perspective

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Philtration, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    Contrary to what some of you may believe, I actually have conversations on other web sites. Not football sites mind you but conversations on other topics. I talk to people across the country and across the ocean about everything from politics and religion to music to the stupid commercials on TV. Some of these topics are just off hand remarks about trivial matters while other are far more serious.
    One of the people who I have had many conversations with is a man named Michael Sarver from Pasadena California. Mike runs a computer business and is a pretty intelligent guy. He has a good sense of humor and lives for his two daughters.
    From our conversations I learned that Mike also had a darker, tormented side. He was frustrated about the world in general and disillusioned about what he thought life should be. He struggled with his divorce as most people do.
    On occasion Mike told me of his thoughts of just ending it all but our conversations pulled him out of it. The site that I go to let's you set up your own profile like a personal web page and I have posted my own thoughts there. Stories of my own life, opinions about everything from the president to the Beatles.
    Mike said that going back and reading some of my comments about my personal life helped him cope and he put these thoughts of checking out on the back burner.
    Sunday evening he sent me a message about his Christmas wish list and it was pretty funny. He was looking forward to the New Year and a new start.
    Today his close friend sent me a message telling me that Mike came home, locked himself in his bedroom and committed suicide. He was 28 years old.
    Although I live across the country and have never met Mike in person I felt that he was more of a friend than some of the people who I see every day and I wish that I could have said more to this man. Something to help to keep the pressure of the world from crushing him in the end. I tried to convince him that having a gun around was a bad idea and he almost got rid of it a couple of weeks ago.
    It is the holiday season and unfortunately the time of year when depression is at its greatest. If you have a friend or loved one who seems to be depressed or distraught please take the time to talk to them. It can make more of a difference than you would imagine.

2. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How wonderful of you to try to help Mike. And how sad that he took his own life. So often when people are depressed, no matter how kind others are or how much people try to help them, it doesn't work. But, you at least, can say that you tried. How sad for Mile's two daughters to lose their dad. And at such a young age. Thank you Phil, for being such a caring person. God Bless you.

3. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    that is horrible, horrible news man.

what is this website you're speaking of? you can pm me with it if you don't want the world to know.

-Arrow

4. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He has a myspace.

5. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    You are correct. I use livejournal also.

6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Sorry to hear about the loss...At least you tried to help...Even though you might be thinking you could have done more, you did what you thought was the best at the time..

Just do not beat your self up over it all and think you failed somehow...Some think about doing things, some people think about just nothing and some try to actually help...You all know you tried...

7. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    so sad to hear phil. you had quite a kinship with this guy.