1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

In Charge Of The Draft

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by El Guapo, Feb 7, 2014.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,489
    I'm trying to get an accurate picture of who was (mostly) responsible for each of the Packers' drafts. Here is my list of draft directors:

1921-49 Curly Lambeau
    1950 Gene Ronzani
    1951-59 Jack Vainisi (Gene Ronzani was the GM 1950-53 and Verne Lewellen 1954-59)
    1960-68 Vincent T Lombardi
    1969-70 Phil Bengston
    1971-74 Dan Devine
    1975-80 Bart Starr
    1981-83 ????
    1984-86 Forrest Gregg
    1987-91 Tom Braatz
    1992-01 Ron Wolf
    2002-04 Mike Sherman
    2005- Ted Thompson

Here are my issues/questions:
    1) I've seen conflicting reports about whether Vainisi was running the draft in 1950 or 1951. Maybe he started in 1950 and his first draft was in '51. Anybody know who ran the 1950 draft?

2) Although Vainisi worked the Packers 1960 draft and didn't die until later that year, I am assuming that Lombardi was in charge of his first draft...effectively ending Vainisi's run. Anybody remember?

3) Who ran the drafts after the Board stripped Starr of his GM role in December of 1980? I know that Tom Miller and Bob Harlan split up the GM duties but don't remember who ran the draft...or was it still Starr selecting the players and Miller/Harlan doing the rest?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,316
    I believe Vainisi joined the Packers in the summer of 1950 so he didn't join the Packers until after the 1950 draft. I assume HC Gene Ronzani, who took over from Lambeau that year, was in charge of that draft. Lombardi had final say for the draft. In fact it's reported that when Vainisi called Lombardi to see if he'd be interested in the Packers' HC job, he suggested Lombardi ask for total control over football operations because Vainisi thought the board interfered too much.

[tangent] Maraniss reported that Vainisi was the first person from the Packers to contact Lombardi. He didn't have the authority to, but he had studied Lombardi and interviewed NFL owners Paul Brown and George Halas as well as Bert Bell and Red Blaik (who Lombardi worked for at Army). They all said Lombardi was the best choice so Vainisi then suggested to Packers president Olejniczak that he to talk to Brown, Halas, Bell, and Blaik. Pretty smart and the rest, as they say, is history.[/tangent]

Dick Corrick was director of player personnel from 1978 to 1986 but Starr had the final say until he was demoted and I believe Gregg had it while he was HC. Perhaps Corrick had the final say for the '81 to '83 drafts. That would be a good question for the newly employed Packers historian, Cliff Christl.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,489
    Thanks.

I'm glad that the Packers have a historian!

4. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,489
    I found this in a Journal-Sentinel obituary on Corrick:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29588584.html
    It appears that he wasn't making the calls even after Starr lost his GM duties, because that would have been in 1981 when Corrick was "urging" for Ronnie Lott instead of Rich Campbell. Somebody over-ruled him.

5. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,489
    I need to find an email for Cliff Christl

6. PWT

PWT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    In 1981, I had heard that Bart Starr had sent his old Backup QB , then Packer assistant Coach Zeke Bratkowski out to California to lo0k at Rich Campbell. Bratkowski report was all positive about Rich Campbell . Packers drafted Campbell with the 6 pick in 1st round of 1981 NFL draft.

Packer H C Starr was fired by the Packers at end of the 1983 season.
    Rich Campbell was released after the 1984 season. Campbell remained a third string QB for his 4 season with Packers
    Campbell threw 68 passes and completed 31 in his 4 seasons with Packers. I think he could be called a bust!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Yeah, 100% BIG BUST that was.

Not only was he reached with the #6 pick, but the next 2 picks after that reach were Hugh Green & Ronnie Lott.
    Mike Singletary, Howie Long, and Ricky Jackson all went later and are now in the HOF.