Improving our Defense

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plain and simple the question is what in this universe do we have to do to get a good defense. For the life of me I can't figure it out . my suggestion is to drastically imorove the front 7 especially the defensive line that way we can get more penetration and make the secondaries job eaiser and id believe they'd improve. But I want to know your thoughts. Because if our defense was even halfway decent then Rodgers would have 3 rings by now.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Plain and simple the question is what in this universe do we have to do to get a good defense.

Create pressure and disrupt upfront which puts stress on opposing QB's. Right now if we don't blitz the house(which puts stress on the secondary) opposing QB's are eating hot dogs back in the pocket.

We need guys that can win upfront one on one. Until they get that I don't care who they draft to play corner/safety.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And when the defense gives Rodgers 5 extra possessions, scoring some TDS on them he’d have more rings by now too.

As for now, safety and linebacker play needs to be better. And losing Mo and having Montravious seemingly disappear after a promising preseason is disheartening to say the least. Our Dline rotation isn’t what I thought it would be. Clark and Daniels are studs. Lowery is a nice piece. Could use help though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need a pass rush and better secondary play. They appear to have young guys on the roster that will resolve the secondary (you can have a bad safety if you have three really good corners and one good safety) but the pass rush looks like it's going to be a total rebuild.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever adjustments are being made AFTER the half need start sooner. If we can play an entire game the way we have been playing defense in the second half, we would be set.

Reaction score
Soooo..... If what they say that defense wins games, does this mean we're screwed?
And if the above is true, why is Rodgers and Co. winning games for us?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, people are now saying that the 49ers are better than they've been given credit for, so maybe we're not as bad as we think.
We'll find out in a few weeks when we face the Rams and Patriots.
The NFL is trying to get rid of defense anyway, so there's probably a limit on how effective we can be.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well, people are now saying that the 49ers are better than they've been given credit for, so maybe we're not as bad as we think.
We'll find out in a few weeks when we face the Rams and Patriots.
The NFL is trying to get rid of defense anyway, so there's probably a limit on how effective we can be.

The niners were supposed to be contenders to compete for NFC West at beginning of season and then Jimmie G got hurt.

Lynch has acquired a lot of talent for them. They have just been hit hard by the injury bug.

D

Deleted member 6794

my suggestion is to drastically imorove the front 7 especially the defensive line that way we can get more penetration and make the secondaries job eaiser and id believe they'd improve.

The defensive line is actually creating pressure but the team needs improved play out of their edge rushers.

And losing Mo and having Montravious seemingly disappear after a promising preseason is disheartening to say the least. Our Dline rotation isn’t what I thought it would be. Clark and Daniels are studs. Lowery is a nice piece. Could use help though.

The Packers losing Wilkerson definitely hurt but in my opinion the defense has more pressing needs than the defensive line.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defensive line is actually creating pressure but the team needs improved play out of their edge rushers.

The Packers losing Wilkerson definitely hurt but in my opinion the defense has more pressing needs than the defensive line.
Probably, but if Adams start contributing some how and soon will he ever? I think Daniels will be entering his final season and Clark is about all we have that's noteworthy. Lowery is decent and young, but I don't think he's at a level or will be, of Daniels, CLark or what Mo would have been. If they see another Kenny Clark when they're picking, i'm not upset if they go that way.

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Create pressure and disrupt upfront which puts stress on opposing QB's. Right now if we don't blitz the house(which puts stress on the secondary) opposing QB's are eating hot dogs back in the pocket.

We need guys that can win upfront one on one. Until they get that I don't care who they draft to play corner/safety.

But why can other teams get it right and improve? Is it the culture? Because for the last decade our defense has pretty much sucked and I don't get it we draft players occasionally make trades or pick up free agents but we still get no penetration or have a dominate defense I just don't get why we can get good like the Vikings or the jaguar on the defensive side if the ball.

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need a pass rush and better secondary play. They appear to have young guys on the roster that will resolve the secondary (you can have a bad safety if you have three really good corners and one good safety) but the pass rush looks like it's going to be a total rebuild.

I agree if we can get our front 7 to perform we would be alright. I think it's time to change the culture in the defensive side if the ball

D

Deleted member 6794

Probably, but if Adams start contributing some how and soon will he ever? I think Daniels will be entering his final season and Clark is about all we have that's noteworthy. Lowery is decent and young, but I don't think he's at a level or will be, of Daniels, CLark or what Mo would have been. If they see another Kenny Clark when they're picking, i'm not upset if they go that way.

I would be excited if the Packers end up drafting another defensive lineman as talented as Clark as well. They most likely will have more pressing needs to address next offseason though.

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Soooo..... If what they say that defense wins games, does this mean we're screwed?
And if the above is true, why is Rodgers and Co. winning games for us?

We can win games but in crunch time and in the playoffs we will lose just like every year because we have no defense

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Like what? Because we get no pressure on opposing qb's. If we did by default our secondary would improve.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But why can other teams get it right and improve? Is it the culture? Because for the last decade our defense has pretty much sucked and I don't get it we draft players occasionally make trades or pick up free agents but we still get no penetration or have a dominate defense I just don't get why we can get good like the Vikings or the jaguar on the defensive side if the ball.
They're probably asking why they can never get the offense right. They have Peterson and don't have a QB. They have a QB and now they don't have a RB that can stay healthy. and the defense had an early season slip. We'll see if it stays elevated or continues to have trouble.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

You can't just put the "Green and Gold" on somebody and expect him to be an all-star.

Both the Vikings and the Jags have spent considerable capital on edge and overall front seven people.

We are still paying Clay Matthew's big $ to win 1 on 1 which he can't and Perry rarely does for that matter. That's the difference and we have a butt load of $ tied up in those guys.

I bring up Belichick because under his system those guys would be long gone. Eat the dead $ and move on or trade or come at em and cut there contract in half. It's called "cutting the fat" instead of "swimming in it".

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Thompson "House of Cards" is still going through a deep cleansing process. Give Gute another year or two and I believe well see a "Real Pass Rush"

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have the worst set of starting LBers in the NFL.

All of them need to be replaced.

Matthews will be gone next year, hopefully Perry as well. Martinez isn't very good; and there is no depth worthy of consideration for elevation into the starting lineup.

The only player I'd consider for a roll moving forward would be Gilbert, but he is pretty limited too.

Burks will be given a chance to develop, but he seems to be so lacking in instincts, that it is unlikely he'll ever be a player.

What's needed is a complete overhaul of the LB position.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We have the worst set of starting LBers in the NFL.

All of them need to be replaced.

Matthews will be gone next year, hopefully Perry as well. Martinez isn't very good; and there is no depth worthy of consideration for elevation into the starting lineup.

The only player I'd consider for a roll moving forward would be Gilbert, but he is pretty limited too.

Burks will be given a chance to develop, but he seems to be so lacking in instincts, that it is unlikely he'll ever be a player.

What's needed is a complete overhaul of the LB position.

Great! Its solved then. Let's draft 2 corners in the 1st round and a safety in the second. :cool: