Improvement.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing to be sitting here one year removed from a 4-12 season and be talking possible playoff scenarios. Whatever the outcome of this weekend, there is one word in which I will describe 2006.

Improvement.

When the Green Bay Packers hired head coach Mike McCarthy there were outcries from Packer backers around the nation. Fans believed former defensive coordinator, Jim Bates, should have gotten the job. Fans were enraged with General Manager Ted Thompson.

Part 1 of the off season anger.

Enter part 2--Free Agency.

Thompson lived up to the hype, his motto "build through the draft, not through free agency" held true this off season. He did, however, make two big signings in resigning defensive end Aaron Kampman, and the acquisition of pro bowl corner back Charles Woodson. When Thompson signed Woodson fans made commments saying he overpaid for him, he was old, injury prone and had a bas attitude. Woodson responded by setting career high marks in interceptions. As for Kampman, he is currently tied with Sean Merriman for most sacks. Not a bad resume eh?

Enter part 3--Draft.

Draft day 2006 was an exciting one for the green and gold. The Packers were picking 5th overall, and chose AJ Hawk. This was an expected and smart move by Thompson. The Packers also decided to trade locker room cancer Javon Walker away to the Denver Broncos. A move that at first was criticized but later applauded. Draft day 2006 was a success, any way you slice it.

Enter part 4--Regular Season

The Packers started off the season 1-4, and fans were enraged. Once again criticizing the appointing of Mike McCarthy. 6 wins and 3 losses later and playoffs are rolling off the tips of Packers fans tongues. Amazing turnaround? Indeed.

When you have the youngest team in the NFL, a first year head coach, and you can be discussing playoffs, to me thats success. I didn't know what to expect from the Pack this season. They had the ability to be anywhere from 0-16 to around 9-7. The coaching would be the difference maker.

Now, I sit here. The Packers are 7-8 and are contending for a playoff berth. So, I pose this question to you all, what would you classify as success for the 2006 Green Bay Packers?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd say it's a good thing Favre stayed on this year...

(or you most definitely would not be making this post...!)

Go Pack Go..

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Werent the Packers gonna make a run at Brees before they signed Aaron Rodgers, but then the Chargers signed him to an extention?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the improvement has been great to watch. I said it all year, from preseason to now, to give them time, let them grow, etc etc.

And they improved.....they came together....and the grew. It is probably too late this year though (although the giants seem to be imploding nicely for us) but next year, with or without favre, should be nice.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers overachieved. There not as good as the record states but they have talent and are looking at the future. This year really makes me feel good about the future. I like Jennings, Hawk, Colledge, and Spitz. Moll I think can turn out to be a solid player as well. I think Woodson gives us talent on Defense and Kampman and Barnett look real good for the future. I really think we can have a good 07 season with some smart moves and beyond that it could be something special.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, I sit here. The Packers are 7-8 and are contending for a playoff berth. So, I pose this question to you all, what would you classify as success for the 2006 Green Bay Packers?

The Packers are not a legit playoff team. Their 2006 success is mainly compliements of their easy schedule.

7-2 vs teams with losing records with a combined 45-84 record.

0-6 vs teams with winning records with a combined 55-29 record.

Giants had to lose 6 of 7 games to put Packers in this position.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
maybe we would have had drew brees or something :p

Brees has more talent around him on offense and an all around better team in the Saints then Favre has in Green Bay....

So it's not the same story..!

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear all this talk about being or not being a legit playoff team. If a team makes the post season, it dosent matter they are legit. And any team can beat another team. Look at the Jags. They are a pretty damn good team, but two of their 3 loses are to the Houston Texans. On any given sunday playoffs or not. The Steelers proved that last year.

OP
OP
S

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:

The Packers are not a legit playoff team. Their 2006 success is mainly compliements of their easy schedule.

7-2 vs teams with losing records with a combined 45-84 record.

0-6 vs teams with winning records with a combined 55-29 record.

Giants had to lose 6 of 7 games to put Packers in this position.

Legit or not, playoffs are playoffs. I don't buy into that BS.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
äny team that gets to the playoffs is a legit playoff team, what nonsense.
Why not? Your either in or your not. What the hell does legit have to do with it. You legitamitely make it in or you dont. Then its a whole new season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2004 Chargers went 12-4 and had a very easy schedule. In fact they beat one or two winning teams that year I believe. Granted they were one and done by the Jets but look where they are now.

Clearly GB is not a playoff caliber team but if they make it because the NFC Stinks and the schedule was easy it's certainly not something to talk down upon. In fact it's a huge plus and it'll give the current younger players much needed big game experience.

Edit: Not to mention it'll be good to see Favre in the playoffs again and it'll be good to see McCarthy calling a playoff game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts