1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Impatient Packer Stock Holders

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Wi. Mike now in Florida, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Wi. Mike now in Florida

Wi. Mike now in Florida Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +63
    I been told Packer fans by some outsiders are very brutal and impatient when it comes to a losing team.

With the way the team is playing, can the Packer fans voicing their disbelief and frustrations help
    the team right the ship?
    Do you feel the fans have any clout in the matter and does it help to voice a opinion when the team is publicly owned compared to privately own?

I'd be interested in what you think.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,294

No

I doubt Packer fans are any more brutal and impatient than fans of any other team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,008
    This should be titled...

Another worthless thread started for no reason

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Packer Fan in SD

Packer Fan in SD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +239
    You have been among the most vocal negative posters lately. Do you think you have made an impact? Are you a stockholder? And as far as a losing team, what team are you talking about? Pack is not a losing team at this point and is tied for the last wild card spot, with 11 games to go.

I am a stockholder and am quite willing to let the season play out. Calm down. Most of the season still is to come.

• Like Like x 2
  5. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +689
    Yup, beat me to it. I'm all for the free flow of thought and getting different views on things, but this thread and the OP's opening post really strike me as having nothing of value.

As stated, I think the general consensus is you should stop starting threads here.

6. rmontro

rmontro Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +415
    This team has had a lot of success over the last 25 years, so I would not be surprised that some fans might have become "spoiled" a bit. Especially in the eyes of other teams fans who have not enjoyed as much success. Some Packer fans have likely never known an extended period of time when we were not considered one of the best teams in the league. But considering our HOF quarterbacks, part of this is simply higher standards and raised expectations.

Do I think we have clout in the way the team is run? Not really. No more than any other team, not significantly anyway.

7. Conso

Conso Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    No, Packer fans are like any other team that usually does well. Like if the Patriots had our year last year, and our problems atm their fans would start getting angry, they’re used to success. On that note our opinions don’t mean squat to the team management. They do what they think is right without a care of what we think because we won’t abandon our team. They are businessmen and make changes as needed to make money. Most of the time they do good enough it’s not a concern. It makes us feel better to think they read these forums and posts and think on what we say but I’d bet you money they don’t.

8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10,602
    Packers fans don't have any more leverage than other ones just because they own the team. The only way to make the front office worry about the opinion of supporters is to stop generating revenue for the franchise. That's true for all other clubs out there as well though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,180
    See 2008 summer and how they worked out for protesting stock holders

10. Starr To Dowler

Starr To Dowler Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +71
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Oh, the irony...

I don't recall any of the posters who laugh at the things you post that don't make any sense suggesting you stop posting altogether, so maybe you could learn a lesson from that and live and let live. If there's room here for some of the stuff you say, god knows there's plenty of room for a lot of other points of view, too. It's out of line for any of us to put ourselves in charge of who is allowed to post here and who isn't.

The OP had a question pop into his mind, and he came here to ask what we thought of it because that's what the board is here for. He seems like a nice enough guy who just wants to talk about the Packers. Don't wanna read it or talk about it? OK, cool, we catch you in another thread further down, right?

OP, it sounds like you're asking two distinct questions - it sounds as though you're asking if angry Packer fans can influence the management of the team, and also whether Packer stockholders can influence the management. Not necessarily the same thing.

Packer stockholders have a very limited role in how the team is run, because the stock is not publicly traded. For example... I own 100 shares of 3M, and I own 1 share of the Packers. If I, and several thousand other people, all decide to dump our 3M shares tomorrow at whatever we can get for them, the effect may be that it lowers the price of 3M stock - which, in turn, lowers the valuation of the company and somewhat weakens their financial strength. That might make 3M sit up and ask themselves what they need to do differently to make their stockholders happy, and could theoretically influence some of their management and public policy decisions.

But if I try to sell my share of Packer stock, it wouldn't have any similar effect on the Green Bay management, because it wouldn't affect them financially in any way. They wouldn't care at all, because it's not a publicly traded company, so the valuation of the organization would not be affected.

Now... if the question you're asking is whether Packer fans in general can affect team policy by expressing dissatisfaction, the answer might be a little different. Maybe. Theoretically. Green Bay is one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL, with a 20+year waiting list for season tickets. Merchandise sales are well in the top half, even the Top Ten of the league. When they look at the balance sheet, I think they think there's nothing that's really broke enough to need fixing. Their performance on the field does not seem to have any impact at all on their financial performance, so why would they worry?

As far as these people are concerned, everything is working out fine. They're literally raking in money. They stack up almost a half billion $$$$$ in revenue each season (and have set a new revenue record every season since around 2004), and made over $65 million in profit last year. I think as far as they're concerned, whatever they're doing is working out just fine.

I don't think they care very much if some of the fans are unhappy with McCarthy, or think Rodgers holds the ball too long, or don't like the playcalling. These are bottom-line people, and they're probably very happy with the bottom line. We're just shaking our fists at the wind here.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10,602
    Just to clarify, Packers shareholders aren't allowed to sell their stock.

12. Starr To Dowler

Starr To Dowler Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +71
  13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5,230
  14. Wi. Mike now in Florida

Wi. Mike now in Florida Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +63

Dam Stright

15. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,529
    That's "damn", Mike.

Spelling curse words properly is "a thing" on the internet. Much like using quotation marks.

16. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +382
    what about stright?, doesn't that deserve to be spelled correctly, just because straight isn't a curse word it doesn't mean it's feelings are any less important

17. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,529
    See, my eye went right to the curse word...I'm nothing if not a wannabe longshoreman.

• Funny Funny x 1