I'm Worried About The Vikings

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously.

Its been years since they have had a terrible record. I honestly dont remember the last time they were a 3 win team or worse. Anyways, my fear comes from how bad they are this season and the chance they might nab a franchise QB with one of the top 3 picks in next years draft. An 8-8 season would be delightful actually. I hope McNabb gets his stuff together. Pretty sure I would have played better than him yesterday. As I said I dont remember the last terrible season they had. I also dont remember the last franchise QB they had (Fran?) and no "get yo roll on" doesnt count.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a good point. I'm a bit worried about that myself. I'm more worried they might tank this season on purpose to get the 1st round QB in next year's draft. I believe the word we all have running screaming through our heads is "Luck." Luck will almost certainly go the the draft next year, no more hanging around college. He needs to be in the NFL anyway. Just hopefully not for the Vikings. I don't know what the Vikings intend to do with McNabb but if they don't intend to play him, they should trade him to another team that can use him. It's not fair to McNabb.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think on it, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel even if they do land up with Luck. Something RS said in another thread really hit the nail on the head in terms of comparing these teams to the Packers. The Packers have the D and the QB. They have the total package. Even if the Vikings get luck, they will still need the D to match ours. Can you imagine what our D will do with poor Luck? The Vikings will need strong O-lineman to protect Luck otherwise it could end up in disaster. Knowing the Vikings luck (no pun intended) they will get Luck only to have him taken out by Matthews, Suh or Peppers. Vikings Unlucky... I can just see it now.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You two worry too much. What happened to the Ivo we all knew and loved in the preseason that told us to relax? Now you're worried about the Vikings? C'mon man!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's just take it one season, one game, one team at a time.

And it's called competition.
If the Vikes get more competitive then that's their perogitive and so will the Pack at the same time.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You two worry too much. What happened to the Ivo we all knew and loved in the preseason that told us to relax? Now you're worried about the Vikings? C'mon man!

LOL Mcnabb put up 39 yards. I dont remember the last time a starting QB did that.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't see Minnesota ever getting a franchise quarterback.
Every time in their history when they had the opportunity, they waste it on a washed up one.

Krymestone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
minnesota's a pretty crumby organization. i've never liked the vike, going back to the cris carter days (oh the memories!).

i don't think mcnabb's got anything left, and the team was in pretty dire straits last year...i think that could continue, now with the north being more competitive. in the past few years, that division was probably among the worst. the packers have risen to the cream of the crop, with the bears being that opportunistic team and the lions being the little team that could(n't). the vikings are in that muddled middle. god, those tice years...8-8 every year it seemed but they were able to back themselves into the playoffs in...04 i think it was? it was the year before katrina, when the saints had a chance to get into the playoffs (winning their last 4 and looking pretty good). but the vikes got in instead.

where was i...oh yeah. the purple stuff sucks. sunny d rules.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could care less. I welcome the challenge, but they've got a lot more problems than just at the QB position.

On a sidenote, there is not one player on any NFC North team that I envy other than Ndamukong Suh. The guy has all my respect. BEAST. ugh... wish we had him.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well, let's see, the last franchise QB the Packers drafted before Rodgers, ......um.....that would be Starr. And the last time the Vikes only won 3 games, 1984.

Say want you want about McNutts 39 yards but think of this. Would 250 yards passing mean they would have won the game?

Cam Newton 422 yards, 2 TD's 1 Int, lost by 7
Dree Bree's 419 yards, 3 TD's 0 Int, lost by 8
Tony Romo 344 yards, 2 TD's 1 Int, lost by 3
Chad Henne 419 yards, 2 TD's 1 Int, lost by 14
McNabb, 39 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, lost by 7

It's not always about just the QB. Whle I am not happy about it, throwing for 250 yards does not mean the Vikings would have won.

It's really to bad so many of you are to young to have lived through the glorious days of the Packers in the 1970's.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Eh, the race to the bottom is between the Colts, Vikings, and Chiefs. Two may do it intentionally, one may actually try. Vikings only gave AP all that money to put the season on his shoulders since no QB could do it.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, the race to the bottom is between the Colts, Vikings, and Chiefs. Two may do it intentionally, one may actually try. Vikings only gave AP all that money to put the season on his shoulders since no QB could do it.

dont forget the niners. harbaugh + luck = match made in heaven

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't think the quarterback is everything.

Sure it's a passing league, but look at those stats. Newton - 400 yards, still lost. Chad Henne, 400 yards, didn't even come close to winning. Brees, 400 yards and lost.

And if anyone is still wanting to talk about the Patritots look at how many passing yards they gave up tonight. NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Minnesota ever getting a franchise quarterback.
Every time in their history when they had the opportunity, they waste it on a washed up one.

Indeed, Bogart. I list this as the #1 reason why the Vikings have never been competitive for consecutive seasons or been in contention for the Superbowl. The thing that bugs me the most about the Vikings is they never seem to learn from their mistakes. If a methodology is not working, you change it. You find a way to make it work. The Vikings keep falling into the same holes year after year. When they signed McNabb, it was the same old story same old song and dance all over again. It makes me wonder at the fate of Ponder. As I've said before, I think they would do well to have McNabb mentor Ponder and make a franchise quarterback out of him in his time. I still think the smartest thing they could do is tank this season and go for Luck in the draft. I'm also really hoping nobody in the Vikings organization with half cerebral functioning is reading this forum and getting ideas.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Indeed, Bogart. I list this as the #1 reason why the Vikings have never been competitive for consecutive seasons or been in contention for the Superbowl. The thing that bugs me the most about the Vikings is they never seem to learn from their mistakes. If a methodology is not working, you change it. You find a way to make it work. The Vikings keep falling into the same holes year after year. When they signed McNabb, it was the same old story same old song and dance all over again. It makes me wonder at the fate of Ponder. As I've said before, I think they would do well to have McNabb mentor Ponder and make a franchise quarterback out of him in his time. I still think the smartest thing they could do is tank this season and go for Luck in the draft. I'm also really hoping nobody in the Vikings organization with half cerebral functioning is reading this forum and getting ideas.

You hit the nail on the head.

And washed up quarterbacks have helped them make the playoffs but never to win it all.

Cunnigham and Favre got them to the NFC Championship, but that's not winning it all. I can list tons of them that brought them to the playoffs too and didn't get over the hump.

I really hate them for always taking some of my favorite quarterbacks in the twilight of their careers and wasting them.

The biggest missed opportunities they never take into consideration is to draft a young fresh quarterback, then use the washed up one to mentor him and eventually make the switch. They should have learned that when they had Randall Cunnigham. Instead they figure, OK let's build up a nice offense, get a good set of receivers, a nice running back and hit the market for the oldest washed up quarterback that's about to come around. It almost did work back in 1998, and it could have worked in 2009 but it didn't.

We all hated seeing Favre go there, but I also dreaded seeing Moon in a Vikings uniform, and I never was a big Randall Cunnigham fan but seeing him also go there made me sick.

Krymestone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, they had a young brad johnson but he didn't last...i think they went with a washed up warren moon before going BACK to a by-that-time washed up brad johnson.

maybe they should've tried to get trent dilfer sometime too...then again, he was never washed IN, so he couldn't ever be washed out.

the vikings have never figured out it and i hope that continues. they were always there to beat the saints in the playoffs, and they look like grape blowpops. they can keep failing for all i care. :tup:

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is purposely tanking a season trickier than it seems? You have to do it in a way that nobody would suspect you of purposely trying to lose, esp the players whose ego would lash out against this tactic. And if they feel that you are trying to tank the season, they would criticize you publicly, causing problems for the front office as well as player-coach tension. g'luck to all trying to tank.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well, let's see, the last franchise QB the Packers drafted before Rodgers, ......um.....that would be Starr. And the last time the Vikes only won 3 games, 1984.

Say want you want about McNutts 39 yards but think of this. Would 250 yards passing mean they would have won the game?

Cam Newton 422 yards, 2 TD's 1 Int, lost by 7
Dree Bree's 419 yards, 3 TD's 0 Int, lost by 8
Tony Romo 344 yards, 2 TD's 1 Int, lost by 3
Chad Henne 419 yards, 2 TD's 1 Int, lost by 14
McNabb, 39 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, lost by 7

It's not always about just the QB. Whle I am not happy about it, throwing for 250 yards does not mean the Vikings would have won.

It's really to bad so many of you are to young to have lived through the glorious days of the Packers in the 1970's.

Yeah, anyway. After all, the Vikings had Fran Tarkenton, Joe Kapp, Warren Moon, Daunte Culpepper, and the old guy they got from the Jets in 2009. Those guys gave them (insert number of Superbowls won) glorious days. :devilish:

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head.

And washed up quarterbacks have helped them make the playoffs but never to win it all.

Cunnigham and Favre got them to the NFC Championship, but that's not winning it all. I can list tons of them that brought them to the playoffs too and didn't get over the hump.

I really hate them for always taking some of my favorite quarterbacks in the twilight of their careers and wasting them.

The biggest missed opportunities they never take into consideration is to draft a young fresh quarterback, then use the washed up one to mentor him and eventually make the switch. They should have learned that when they had Randall Cunnigham. Instead they figure, OK let's build up a nice offense, get a good set of receivers, a nice running back and hit the market for the oldest washed up quarterback that's about to come around. It almost did work back in 1998, and it could have worked in 2009 but it didn't.

We all hated seeing Favre go there, but I also dreaded seeing Moon in a Vikings uniform, and I never was a big Randall Cunnigham fan but seeing him also go there made me sick.

That makes me mad when they do that too. I was a big fan of Cunningham and still am a fan of McNabb (both former Eagles from back in the day when I liked them or at least could tolerate them) and brilliant QB's in their day. I think McNabb may still have something left but the problem is the rest of the Vikings kind of lack what it takes to get to a Superbowl. A healthy McNabb, an elite D and O-line could be formidiable and the Vikings simply don't have it.

Members online

Latest posts