I'm speechless on this stat.. especially the rushing.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very interesting indeed. AJ getting more carries vs Miami has not really brought down his avg. YPC. I'd like to see the pack increase the amount of carries even more against Seattle

H

HardRightEdge

This is not surprising given conventional stats:

Rodgers passer rating is 100.0, 14th among qualifying QBs. The Packers are tied for the league lead at 5.2 yards per carry.

Jones' 6.8 yards per carry is not sustainable and would sharply decline with more carries.

15 carries per game (as Jones had last week) x 16 games = 240 carries. Over the last decade (2008 - 2017), the following RBs averaged 5.o or better on at least 240 carries:

2016 - Howard 5.2
2016 - Elliott 5.1
2013 - McCoy 5.1
2013 - Charles 5.0
2012 - Peterson 6.0
2012 - Charles 5.3
2012 - Lynch 5.0
2009 - Chris Johnson 5.6
2008 - DeAngelo Williams 5.5

A couple of observations:
  • Of those players nine teams, 4 didn't make the playoffs and the other 5 had playoff records of 1-6 with none advancing past the Divisional round.
  • If it wasn't obviously a pass-first league before this season, more rule changes protecting QBs and receivers have thrown this into high relief this season. A 100.0 passer rating used to be elite; now it's middle of the pack. As we enter the bad weather, those passer ratings may regress toward the mean, but probably not much.
  • Rodgers yards per attempt = 7.7, another middle of the road number this season largely attributable to the high number of throwaways leading to a sub-par 61.1% completion rate. Even so, if we factor in sacks as attempts and yards lost, you're still ahead of that 6.8 per carry or what is likely to be in a regression to the mean of sub-5.0 under a regularly heavy workload.
  • Jones has some special sauce as a runner, but it is complementary. He's not a receiving threat and not a very good blocker. If teams start to game plan for him opening up more passing opportunities, then it's a win.
  • Fantasy points and winning football are different things.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously these stats don't tell the whole story.
But I think that if we had been told at the beginning of the season that we'd be #1 in rushing yards per attempt and in sacks, we would have thought our W-L record would be better than what it is.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I think that if we have been told at the beginning of the season that Rodgers' passing offense would be clunky at best at this point in the season, we would have been in just as much disbelief.

Members online

Latest posts