I'm sorry, but....

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does everyone want Mario Williams? I understand that he's a physical freak, in that Julius Peppers class, but DE is the least of our concerns. I know TT's philosophy is to take the best player available, but still, you've got to be joking. Not to mention he'll be long gone at 1.5, and the cost of trading up to 1.2 would be tremendous.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME?

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be a great defense, the Packers need to be able to put more pressure on the quarterback. Mario would likely be able to do that better than anyone we have now. I'm not aware of anyone suggesting that we trade up to the 2nd spot to get him. I think most of the members on this forum would be happy with Hawk if Mario is not available.

OP
OP
K

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But to be a great defense, we need people that can plug the middle, good linebackers, and good DBs. We have one DE with 4 10+ sack seasons, and another who posted 100 tackles next year. I'd much rather see Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila in the lineup than Robert Thomas and Ben Taylor.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with route25 that we wouldn't trade up to get Williams. I'm pretty sure Williams won't be there when we draft and Hawk is a great choice. I think it all comes down to finding it difficult to pass up on the physical skills of Williams. At the same time I think LB is the weaker position.

I find myself hoping one of them is gone at 1.05 so we don't have to second guess the pick for the next 10 years.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I am praying the guy is gone so we can draft Hawk in a no brainer.

If Williams was there you almost have to pick the guy but his failure to play to his full potential could get Hunt-Like real quick.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will not trade up to get any player, if the player or players the Packers are really interested in the draft are not available in the fifth round, there is more chance that Packer GM Ted Thompson would trade down, not up. The Packers cannot afford to do ,what it would take to trade up. The Packers have too may needs.

There have been no reports coming out of Packer organization here in Green Bay, even metioning trading up. Although Packer GM Ted Thompson has been" playing his cards close to the vest' as to what he is going to do in the draft.

One can not believe much of anything any NFL team says , during
this time of the year about their draft plans. No NFL team wants to tip off the other teams in NFL, what their plans are in advance of the draft. there are always deals being made with other teams during the draft. It is just like a poker game.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
No way Teddy will trade up.
It would cost him too much money.

I agree that TT won't trade up, but I think the reason is that he wants more draft picks, not less.

Too bad, though. I'd love to see Mario Williams in a Packer uni in 2006. Him still being there at #5 would be a dream.

Every great defense starts right up front with the defensive linemen. A good pass rush keeps the O-Linemen from getting to the LBs, and it also saves the DBs from having to cover receivers for 10 or 15 seconds straight.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you check out some Saints pages it looks like they are debating Williams or Hawk. They need a linebacker more than a DE.

The reason for a lot of Williams talk is that he may be the best available propect on the board when the Packers draft.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. If anything TT will trade out of #5 for more picks.
2. Hawk will be just as much an impact player as Williams in terms of LB stability and leadership. Sacks aren't everything.
3. We need to stop the run, I saw other teams run up the middle last year and gain 5 yards a pop, that has to stop.
4. Saints will draft Ferguson, OL is their biggest need. Or they may trade down. Jets will have first shot at Williams and that organization may take a punter so Williams may still be there at five.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB and Kampmann are not elite pass rushers like mario could be. An elite guy like him can totally change the other teams offense and make your defense 1000 times better.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Actually, I am praying the guy is gone so we can draft Hawk in a no brainer.

If Williams was there you almost have to pick the guy but his failure to play to his full potential could get Hunt-Like real quick.

I have been saying this for months Pyle....

We cannot afford the risk of taking Mario, IMHO he lacks that commitment that Hawk has to play everydaown as if it is the most important one in your life.

We might get with another Hunt indeed...

If TT seems to be so conservative at least here he should take the safest choice

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top 5 is about upside and potential greatness - not solid. I would not rip the organization for taking Hawk. However, I feel that the greatest potential star impact and upside would be Williams or Davis. I personally would take either over Hawk and look for solid LB in 2nd or 3rd.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
true. but what is more important; a game changing pass rusher, or an anchor at LB?

This is what makes this choice so interesting.

By Mario pressuring the QB it would have a positive affect on everybody behind him.

Hawk, on the other hand, has that nasty attitude and is a natural leader that seems to be lacking on "D".

Hawk won't take plays off. Hopefully something Williams will quit doing when he gets to the pros.

My gut says that Hawk would become that Urlacher type leader that brings the "D" together when things aren't going right and gets them going.

So I say Hawk for the intangible he would bring for years to come.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just hope mario is gone before we have to decide... and Bozz is right about the LB depth in this draft... for instance Ernie sims might be around with our second pick in the draft. and for those of you not in ACC country, the guy is crazy and young, he hits as hard as anyone ive ever seen.

if we to pick either Hawk or Davis.... id take Davis... the guy is gonna be a great TE in a league that is using TE's more and more every day. But i love Hawk and wouldnt mind taking him i just think we should get arrington and draft greenway or sims later in the draft and then We have a threat on offense and a nice LB corp.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
your probally right, but its still ahope

as far as this thread is concerned yeah i share your concern about williams, id feel safer with hawk or davis. he has the most bust potential to me... great upside but takes plays off... i dont know if i can live with that when you have a guy like hawk available who plays every down like it was his last down in the superbowl.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agree 100% with you about arrington, hawk, and mario. mario has great physical abilities, off the charts actually. but there's that old cliche about 'it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog'. and cliches become cliches for a reason; they're true. all the God-given talent in the world won't take you anywhere if you're not willing to give everything you have. Hawk is just one of those guys that will fight for every inch until he can't fight anymore. that is a "Packer Person" if i've ever seen one.

Members online

Latest posts