I'm NO Havel fan, but here is a decent article by him...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Havel column: Lambeau will be a proving ground

By Chris Havel August 9, 2006

The Green Bay Packers have a great deal to prove after a 4-12 season.

That doesn't make them a lone wolf among NFL teams entering 2006 after truly substandard seasons.

What does separate the Packers from most also-rans is that individually, as many as 17 of the 22 likely starters have great motivation to prove that they deserve to start and/or are better than public perception and recent performance suggest.

Only book-end offensive tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, fullback William Henderson, receiver Donald Driver and cornerback Al Harris enter the season with few, if any, question marks or concerns.

That leaves 17 players with good reason to have a Gibraltar-size chip on their shoulder pads, beginning with quarterback Brett Favre and running back Ahman Green. Favre needs to demonstrate that his 29 interceptions were a fluke, and Green that his career is far from over despite sagging statistics and a serious injury.

Robert Ferguson out-dueled Charles Woodson for an arching pass up the right sideline at Tuesday's practice. Ferguson needs to silence his critics with more plays like that, and Woodson needs to show he's worthy as the team's top-priced free agent.

A.J. Hawk needs to prove he is worth the No. 5 overall pick in the draft, and Adbul Hodge needs to prove he was a steal in the third round.

Rookies Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz need to prove they are capable starting guards.

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila needs to prove he's an every-down player, and Aaron Kampman needs to prove he's worth the lucrative contract.

Nick Collins needs to avoid the sophomore slump, and Marquand Manuel needs to get on the field.

Bubba Franks needs to prove he's capable of a 60-catch season and getting open downfield, if given the chance.

Scott Wells needs to prove he can handle being the everyday center, and Nick Barnett needs to prove he can force turnovers.

Ryan Pickett, a high-priced free agent, and Kenderick Allen, an underachiever, must prove they can anchor the defensive line.

So which players are the best bets to get it done?

Here goes …

If healthy, Favre and Green should benefit from the new staff and system. History suggests Ferguson won't. Woodson's talent is obvious, as is that he is the second-best corner on the team.

Hawk faces a tall order. Give him time. Hodge was, and is, a steal.

Colledge and Spitz are in the infancy of a long journey. The Packers will bat .500 with rookie guards in '06. Who starts and who struggles is too early to say.

Kampman is going to be worth every penny. KGB, with proper motivation, will be more than an occasional force.

Franks is going to grab a lot of passes and headlines. Collins is too good to slump, and Manuel is too much an unknown to venture a guess.

Wells will be OK, Barnett is going to make plays, and the Pickett-Allen tandem is going to be a pleasant surprise.

All they have to do is prove it.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of this but will say that I think Wells will be more than "o.k" and a big part of what will be an improved "O" line this year. Last year Flanny battled like a warrior but the injury he tried to play with did not allow him to be the effective anchor he had previously been.

The difference between an effective Wells in a system he was made for and an injured Flannigan doing what he could out there is huge.

There were multiple reasons for the "O" line failures of last year and not just poor guard play. Flanny and Bubba not being healthy contributed as did our RB injury problems.

The coaches love what Wells has done so far. That's far better than o.k. when compared to last year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree, wells has done nothing but do more than people thought he could do, and now hes cemented himself at center, and nobody can move him from it. Gotta love that.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
i agree, wells has done nothing but do more than people thought he could do, and now hes cemented himself at center, and nobody can move him from it. Gotta love that.

Yes sir. A better scheme to get the ball downfield, Wells and Colledge filling in great, Bubba and Green back. Better times ahead.

...and I agree with what you said on another post on the affects this whole scheme and what their doing will help Favre.

When your running game has left you and the pass protection is not very good either it is not wise to run a hybred west coast offense that calls for more passes further downfield.

Add Favre's natural tendencies to go for it and only one legitimate WR to go to and 29 interceptions later you end up 4-12.

I can tell you this Trom. If the running game doesn't go the first series and doesn't go the second series it WON'T be abandoned where we fall right into the defenses hand.

MM will show much more patience and will not give up on the plan. That had much to do with our downfall last year. Sherman went one dimensional way to early in games last year.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Yes sir. A better scheme to get the ball downfield, Wells and Colledge filling in great, Bubba and Green back. Better times ahead.

...and I agree with what you said on another post on the affects this whole scheme and what their doing will help Favre.

When your running game has left you and the pass protection is not very good either it is not wise to run a hybred west coast offense that calls for more passes further downfield.

Add Favre's natural tendencies to go for it and only one legitimate WR to go to and 29 interceptions later you end up 4-12.

I can tell you this Trom. If the running game doesn't go the first series and doesn't go the second series it WON'T be abandoned where we fall right into the defenses hand.

MM will show much more patience and will not give up on the plan. That had much to do with our downfall last year. Sherman went one dimensional way to early in games last year.

Some would say don't beat the dead horse, I however am all for it...it's great to have two established, experienced offensive minds on this team (McCarthy and Jags) this season instead of zero (Sherman/Rossley)...

Favre's "go for it" tendencies will dissapear if this team improves (and overall I think it has) and will be able to not fall behind early and often in ball games, and Favre is allowed to be more conservative with the ball...and games like vs. Cincy where Favre throws about a dozen picks won't happen

Members online

Latest posts