1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

I'm getting concerned about Ferguson

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by NCPackerfan, Sep 14, 2005.

1. NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  2. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe Ferggie will be OK. I think he just does not always get his point across accurately. Reading between the lines my thoughts were, he was saying the split end position is not as productive as the flanker, which is the featured position,that's all.

The Packers will take that into account, whatever his production is, and that is what he should realize.

3. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Yah I don't know about his attitude anymore. he's alwasy came off to me as a team first guy but now after reading some things this year i jus dont know

4. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He's right. In order to step up he needs to play Walk's(ironic) position. His role is different at a different position.

5. NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not following that reasoning, calicheese. It seems Walker and Driver were equally productive at the two different positions. Please explain.

6. billv

billv Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I llike Ferguson but don't care for these remarks. Hopefully, he was misunderstood. He can be very productive if he puts the team concept first.

7. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The flanker is the featured and primary receiver position in the West Coast Offense. So if he replaces Javon,as flanker, he will have more opportunities to catch passes and make plays than if he is the split end, who has less opportunities.

So I believe he is saying don't expect him to be the top receiver if he is in the 2nd position.

What he has to do is produce at whatever position the team puts him. If it is as the split end and he is producing more efficiently than the flanker, he will get moved up.

8. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    All he is saying is that his productivity could match Walkers if put in the same position..which is nothing but the unvarnished truth. Personally, I like the bluntness of it...the coaches are saying he is going to fill Walkers void...well, put him in position to do so.

9. NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, but once again, Walker tallied 89 catches last year and Driver had 84. Seems there's plenty of opportunity to be productive at either position.

10. FL Packer

FL Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree...although Walker got all the hype last season, those two were neck and neck in productivity.

11. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: I

I'm getting a little concerned about Ferguson too. I thought he might have a breakout year in 2004, but he kept getting injured and even when he was in the lineup he was nowhere near as productive as Driver or Walker. This year I've had some questions about his attitude, asking not to play special teams and now asking to play flanker. I think he should play there because he is bigger than Driver and the flanker usually takes more of a pounding. But it should not be necessary for him to be productive. When Robert Brooks was flanker, Antonio Freeman played split end and ended up outperforming Brooks. When Terry Glenn was flanker, Donald Driver played split end and put up bigger numbers than Glenn. Besides, Ferguson should keep his mouth shut, because the coaches will decide where he plays. Ferguson should not be making requests through the media.

As for his level of play, Ferguson had an unremarkable preseason and did very little against the Lions. He really needs to step it up now and justify the contract he signed last year.

12. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: I

The bottomline is if the receiver gets open, chances are Brett will find him. Therefore all he really needs to worry about is getting open, catching the ball, getting some YACs, and not fumbling.