Illegal gestures ?

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when PROFESSIONAL football players started to act like little kids who can't seem to keep their childish emotions suppressed ?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A while ago, the throat slash was the start of the "illegal gestures" I think. As soon as he did it, I was surprised I didn't see a flag immediately .

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I thought he did it more than once besides...I think be wanted to leave no doubt.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
funny thing about what he did, I honestly thought he was doing an "X" on his chest....but then again maybe the first part of that was a "throat cut" and he quickly remembered that was a penalty and then tried to turn it into an X. Stupid penalty non the less. While I love celebration on the field and don't like seeing that get penalized when its all about fun, I don't like the in your face crap.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

What`s that all about ? limited or no celebrations at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

The NFL has cracked down on stuff like that for years. Perry knows about the rules and it was a stupid penalty resulting in a first down for the Lions instead of third-and-11.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How I digress :D But yes, Harris was a talkative, outgoing player whose signature celebration after a sack was "six gun" hand gesture. The NFL eventually banned his celebration as overly aggressive and unsportsmanlike.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL= No Fun League
By the way, I don't support the throat slashing, gun drawing, nut grabbing, butt wiping gestures but some of these anti celebration rules are ridiculous.
I think that most of us agree, but translating what we want to see into a set of rules that can actually be followed is a lot more difficult. You can try to legislate by saying no throat slashing, gun drawing, nut grabbing, or butt wiping gestures. Then the next week a player will find something new that gets on your list. Then you spend half of your time assessing celebrations and trying to constantly define and refine what is and isn't allowable. It's easier to just say, don't do a damn thing except hand the ball to the ref (if you score) or high five your teammates after a big play.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What really gets to me are the celebration penalties after a late TD. The players can't seem to help themselves sometimes and then somebody goes up by one but has to kick off from the 20 with 40 seconds left. Those kind of penalties seem too restrictive. Still, the players should not be sooo stupid.

D

Deleted member 6794

What really gets to me are the celebration penalties after a late TD. The players can't seem to help themselves sometimes and then somebody goes up by one but has to kick off from the 20 with 40 seconds left. Those kind of penalties seem too restrictive. Still, the players should not be sooo stupid.

I don´t like a lot of these penalties either but the players know the rules and should abide by them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

If only the coaches would be allowed to shoot such players, grab them by the nuts, slit their throats.......oh wait.....I see where we are going here..... :coffee:

I get the fine line thing between celebration and taunting. But its no different then distinguishing between pass interference and good coverage, its a judgement call and should be viewed as that and not as "oh we just need to say no celebrations for fear it might offend someone". For me, things like the Lambeau Leap, a victory shuffle, back flips, etc aren't taunting but celebrating and are a very fun part of the game. I hate seeing a game like football get so damn serious that players and fans can't have a little fun.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spiking a football is different than flipping in the opponents face. making an X with your arms across your body, is a different gesture than slashing a throat. There's differences and for now they mostly seem ok in enforcement, but sometimes get out of control. I fear for the day when the NFL adopts the zero tolerance policies like every other aspect of society thinking it will make something better.

Everyone relies on tests, background checks and zero tolerance to keep everything hunky dory. IN the meantime people relate less and less to each other, they know how to act and respond to others less and less and the problems continue to get worse. Gee I wonder why nobody can tolerate or respond appropriately to anything anymore? Social rant over

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My memory is fading, but I believe the first player to do a demonstrative celebration was Billy "White Shoes" Johnson of the Houston Oilers. It wasn't anything over the top and most fans kind of enjoyed it. It seemed to evolve from there until the Redskins had a group of receivers who called themselves the "fun bunch," who would do an orchestrated celebration after one of them scored. That's when the NFL stepped in and said enough and started penalizing teams for group celebrations. Personally, I don't mind a spontaneous celebration and I don't see any problem with the Lambeau leap, since it involves the fans. It's only the orchestrated, pre planned celebrations that I have a problem with (looking at you Cam and the Panthers).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A pretty decent reel of celebrations, including how opponents can react to them as well as the Famous Billy White Shoes Johnson....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a crackdown on TD celebrations also.
I think the Lambeau Leap would get penalized today in Roger Goodell's No Fun League.

It's a good thing that we know that Aaron Rodgers is putting on a title belt instead of a cod piece or jock strap that would, no doubt, get him penalized!

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the fine line thing between celebration and taunting. But its no different then distinguishing between pass interference and good coverage, its a judgement call and should be viewed as that and not as "oh we just need to say no celebrations for fear it might offend someone". For me, things like the Lambeau Leap, a victory shuffle, back flips, etc aren't taunting but celebrating and are a very fun part of the game. I hate seeing a game like football get so damn serious that players and fans can't have a little fun.
^ This.

I don't understand why certain celebrations such as sitting on the ground or taking off a helmet or if they are excessive are penalized? It is not taunting. It is a way of a player having fun after scoring a TD. Just let them have their fun.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football is a fast, intense, emotional, passionate sport.
And when you have a player who is excited and with his adrenaline charging through his body at light speed, sometimes he will do things as a reflexive reaction or on impulse and when they get penalized for those times when they really cannot control themselves, that isn't right.

The penalties and the fines are getting out of control for a sport that is impossible to ask to always be in control.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football is a fast, intense, emotional, passionate sport.
And when you have a player who is excited and with his adrenaline charging through his body at light speed, sometimes he will do things as a reflexive reaction or on impulse and when they get penalized for those times when they really cannot control themselves, that isn't right.

The penalties and the fines are getting out of control for a sport that is impossible to ask to always be in control.
Are they 3? Or grown men playing a professional sport? If high school kids across America can control themselves, I suspect NFL players can exercise some level of self control

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts