Illegal formation penalty

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would someone please explain to me the Illegal formation penalty called on the Packers late in the 3rd Quarter of the Vikings game.
Tackle on the end of the line ??

Thanks

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Section 5 Position of Players at the Snap
Article 1: Offensive Team. The offensive team must be in compliance with the following at the snap:
(a) It must have seven or more players on its line (3-19-1); and
(b) Eligible receivers must be on both ends of the line, and all of the players on the line between them must be ineligible receivers.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the call was odd the way he phrased it. I believe would have been more appropriate to have said, "Illegal formation - tackle failed to report as an eligible receiver."

D

Deleted member 6794

I have seen other times when both tackles are uncovered, but no penalty is called.

An offensive lineman has to report as an eligible receiver in that case, which Josh Walker did repeatedly against the Vikings. It seems that on the play you're talking about someone forgot about it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't remember the alignment on the play in question but what happens sometimes is a receiver split out wide doesn't line up close enough to the LOS, so there are only 6 on the LOS. (BTW, even in a proper alignment, OTs can look "uncovered" because there are WRs split wide on a play.)

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember the alignment on the play in question but what happens sometimes is a receiver split out wide doesn't line up close enough to the LOS, so there are only 6 on the LOS. (BTW, even in a proper alignment, OTs can look "uncovered" because there are WRs split wide on a play.)

Both tackles were covered, but a yard or so off the line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts