IF

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll post the unpopular opinion. Based on what I saw yesterday from offense (Running game and O-Line play again) and Defense (Though improved) I think we're a 3 seed in the playoffs no better, that is to say IF we want to go back to the Superbowl we'll have to do it almost the way we did it in 2010. I'm not so much worried right now about Washington but Cincinnati scares the holy hell out of me. A big athletic receiver, a QB with decent mobility and a freak of a TE, and we had severe problems with Bolden (Who has underachieved in his career) and Davis yesterday. Granted we kept Kaepernick in check, but I also didn't see him trying to run much.

Thing I see is we've gotten some better, but we're playing teams who cater to our weaknesses, and have gotten a LOT in the case of Cincy better, and other cases, had the same improvement we had. We're gonna have to survive the first 3-4 weeks, and then really start picking teams off, I'm just not sure. I see us winning the division despite everyone else thinking Detroit or Chicago will, but I don't see much more than that. Am I the only one thinking this?

D

Dan115

I'll post the unpopular opinion. Based on what I saw yesterday from offense (Running game and O-Line play again) and Defense (Though improved) I think we're a 3 seed in the playoffs no better, that is to say IF we want to go back to the Superbowl we'll have to do it almost the way we did it in 2010. I'm not so much worried right now about Washington but Cincinnati scares the holy hell out of me. A big athletic receiver, a QB with decent mobility and a freak of a TE, and we had severe problems with Bolden (Who has underachieved in his career) and Davis yesterday. Granted we kept Kaepernick in check, but I also didn't see him trying to run much.

Thing I see is we've gotten some better, but we're playing teams who cater to our weaknesses, and have gotten a LOT in the case of Cincy better, and other cases, had the same improvement we had. We're gonna have to survive the first 3-4 weeks, and then really start picking teams off, I'm just not sure. I see us winning the division despite everyone else thinking Detroit or Chicago will, but I don't see much more than that. Am I the only one thinking this?

WEEK 1 relax, The Packers are a very good team.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
You realize we just played probably the best team we will play all season, right? Best defense. Perhaps best offense.

The running game didn't look great, but we're talking about facing a SF run D that's been tops in the league over the last 2+ years or so.

And the O-line was a pleasant surprise. I expect them to be pretty solid this year, but I was not expecting a good game against the Niners' front seven. There were some mistakes for sure, but overall they played beyond most people's expectations against the premiere pass rush in the NFL.

The secondary was the only weak spot I saw on Sunday. Hopefully we can get Hayward and Burnett back healthy and shore up some of the coverage issues.

Heading into Sunday's game, I was expecting this team to win around 10 games. After an impressive effort, I don't see any reason we can't post 12-13 wins and get a first-round bye. Keep in mind the West and East will probably be beating up on each other. 12-4 could be a #1 seed this year in the NFC depending on how the South pans out.

I'm thinkin' it's gonna be a fun season fellas. :D

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see us winning 12 or 13 games we have some tough games for sure,but 9ers close game considering what when on,guys need to tackle,Micmillian did not safeties were bad Barnett may be back this week ,Kap din't run for that reason towards the end when they had the passing game going,our o-line held up well and feel they will get better each game have to keep penalties down. Smith with 3 doesn't help your o-line 1st game just feel they will get better.

12theTruth

Hayward won't be back until Week 5 at the earliest. We may be better and we may play better when the preferred starters are back however Williams and Shields still can't tackle a receiver very effectively and struggle to guard physical receivers. As another poster stated Burnett graded out a B- last season with 11 missed tackles. Not like he is a pro bowler or anything. Its not one of Thompson's better areas of talent that is for sure but what team has greatness at every position. Eventually you have to rely on your coaching staff to school these guys up.

Capers deserves condemnation as the Packers did make the 49ers one-dimensional by stopping the run, BUT couldn't make in game adjustments when the only threats left were Vernon Davis, and Boldin. And why in the heck wasn't Boldin bracket covered on that last play? Over the last several seasons, we have seen the same things over and over again, but you still see people taking the bait only to be disappointed in the end.

H

HardRightEdge

...and we had severe problems with Bolden (Who has underachieved in his career)...

In 2008, Boldin reached 500 receptions faster than any player in NFL history. In 2009, he was the 5th. fasted to 7,000 yds.

This from a guy who ran 4.7 at the Combine while posting other pedestrian numbers.

At 6', 215 lbs., Boldin has always been one tough SOB, not an ESPN-highlight-reel-circus-catch guy. His career is that of an overachieving possession receiver, dirty words in the fantasy football era.

In 2010, 2011 and 2012, Baltimore threw the ball 491, 544 and 560 times, respectively, or 33 times per game over that span. That's hardly a high flying offense as they leaned on Rice for a balanced attack. Speaking of Rice, they were in the habit of using him as a go-to guy in the possession passing game. Given last year's playoffs as evidence, those 3 regular seasons should perhaps be chalked up to underutilization, not underachievement.

I'd say 2011 was Boldin's only off year, based on catches per target.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BoldAn00.htm

So as to keep this in the realm of "Packer" commentary, it's interesting to note our recent history of giving up 200 yard receiving games early in the season...Smith, Wayne, and now Boldin.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers deserves condemnation as the Packers did make the 49ers one-dimensional by stopping the run, BUT couldn't make in game adjustments when the only threats left were Vernon Davis, and Boldin.
No he doesn't because what you say here isn't true. In the second half he put double coverage on Boldin more often than not. He can't physically go out on the field and cover them himself.

12theTruth

No he doesn't because what you say here isn't true. In the second half he put double coverage on Boldin more often than not. He can't physically go out on the field and cover them himself.

OK. How many plays did they employ double coverage if you seem to have all the answers? They were in a zone most of the game. Did he double Boldin the last play of the game? I don't have the game on tape so I can't go back and look at the play. It is clear whatever scheme that Capers used was NOT working. Boldin was open pretty much every play. Not something to hoot and holler about, no?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK. How many plays did they employ double coverage if you seem to have all the answers? They were in a zone most of the game. Did he double Boldin the last play of the game? I don't have the game on tape so I can't go back and look at the play. It is clear whatever scheme that Capers used was NOT working. Boldin was open pretty much every play. Not something to hoot and holler about, no?
He can only work with tools he's given. If he needs a 7/16 socket and all he has is an 11mm, he can use it but it's not going to be perfect. You can't just blame the coach when the players are deficient.

12theTruth

He can only work with tools he's given. If he needs a 7/16 socket and all he has is an 11mm, he can use it but it's not going to be perfect. You can't just blame the coach when the players are deficient.

I'm not only blaming the coach, the replacement is not at the caliber of Burnett, I also said that Burnett was rated a B- last season with 11 missed tackles. Just his presence alone it is very debatable whether that would have made a substantial difference in yards allowed or even 3rd conversions allowed to the 49ers. I also stated that each team has positions where the talent may not be as great, not just the Packers. It IS up to the coaching staff to provide the scheme and put the player in the best chance to succeed. I don't believe Capers made adequate adjustments to prevent Boldin from being open on every play. I saw improvements, but I also saw things to be concerned about even when Hayward and Burnett return to the fray. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not only blaming the coach, the replacement is not at the caliber of Burnett, I also said that Burnett was rated a B- last season with 11 missed tackles. Just his presence alone it is very debatable whether that would have made a substantial difference in yards allowed or even 3rd conversions allowed to the 49ers. I also stated that each team has positions where the talent may not be as great, not just the Packers. It IS up to the coaching staff to provide the scheme and put the player in the best chance to succeed. I don't believe Capers made adequate adjustments to prevent Boldin from being open on every play. I saw improvements, but I also saw things to be concerned about even when Hayward and Burnett return to the fray. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
You seem to think coaches have some kind of magic wand they can wave to make their teams' deficiencies suddenly go away. Not sure where this line of thinking comes from but I'm guessing you have no coaching experience. If I'm wrong, please tell me what adjustment you would have made to shut Boldin down without compromising our defense in another area. You seem to want to wag your finger a lot but don't give much in the way of alternatives.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

12theTruth

So why don't the Packers fire Capers?

They will if we get ***** slapped out of the playoffs this season. Of course they won't fire him now. No one does that during the season in the NFL. Or at least very rarely at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

12theTruth

You seem to think coaches have some kind of magic wand they can wave to make their teams' deficiencies suddenly go away. Not sure where this line of thinking comes from but I'm guessing you have no coaching experience. If I'm wrong, please tell me what adjustment you would have made to shut Boldin down without compromising our defense in another area. You seem to want to wag your finger a lot but don't give much in the way of alternatives.

Its not a "magic wand" its called coaching. We have a coordinator and several assistants. Ultimately they will be held accountable as do the players for their individual successes or failures. One can't look at the present without considering the past when judging anyone's overall effectiveness. Capers has some good qualities but he also has weaknesses in other areas. The way some of you talk you'd think he's the greatest D coordinator in the league. LOL.

Sure there were positives but we can't pretend that Morgan Burnett is somehow some savior that will right most of the wrongs when matching up against a dual threat QB with good WR talent. This Capers struggles countering. He's struggled in the past and continues to do so. He had better hope our D doesn't get pounded out of the playoffs or it will be an unhappy ending.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, if the D does get torched in the playoffs and we lose again (let's hope not) and Capers is gone next year, who would you want to replace him?

Has to be a 3-4 guy. Rex Ryan, assuming he's out of a job?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not a "magic wand" its called coaching. We have a coordinator and several assistants. Ultimately they will be held accountable as do the players for their individual successes or failures. One can't look at the present without considering the past when judging anyone's overall effectiveness. Capers has some good qualities but he also has weaknesses in other areas. The way some of you talk you'd think he's the greatest D coordinator in the league. LOL.

Never said that. But he doesn't deserve to be fired either. That's foolish talk. Like I said, what would YOU have done differently? Teams like SF (and the Packers, for that matter) have too many ways they can hurt you. It's impossible to stop them all.

Sure there were positives but we can't pretend that Morgan Burnett is somehow some savior that will right most of the wrongs when matching up against a dual threat QB with good WR talent.

Burnett solid in coverage and he's smart. He normally calls out adjustments for our secondary and does a much better job of it that Jennings or McMillian.

This Capers struggles countering. He's struggled in the past and continues to do so. He had better hope our D doesn't get pounded out of the playoffs or it will be an unhappy ending.
You're trying to make it sound more simple than it actually is. I'll just assume you're speaking from a lack of understanding and leave it at that. No offense intended so please don't take it that way. Just sit back and watch as the defense improves throughout the season.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, if the D does get torched in the playoffs and we lose again (let's hope not) and Capers is gone next year, who would you want to replace him?

please pass what ever it is you are smoking !!!! Rex ryan would be run out of town by a lynch mob with torches and pitch forks if her ever came to GB.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will if we get ***** slapped out of the playoffs this season.

So we lose to the 49ers at their place in Week 1 two points (legitimately) and you're predicting us not making the playoffs? Seriously?

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
please pass what ever it is you are smoking !!!! Rex ryan would be run out of town by a lynch mob with torches and pitch forks if her ever came to GB.
LOL I'm not saying I wan't him. But who would be available that would be a better choice than Dom? Gotta be a 3-4 guy. Everybody thinks Dom needs to go, but it's not like defensive coordinators are a dime a dozen.

12theTruth

So we lose to the 49ers at their place in Week 1 two points (legitimately) and you're predicting us not making the playoffs? Seriously?

Only people with a lack of comprehension would miss the word IF in a statement. I merely provided an opinion based on the Packers getting steamrolled out of the playoffs in 3 out of the last 4 seasons. Quit trying so hard LOL You're getting desperate.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
LOL I'm not saying I wan't him. But who would be available that would be a better choice than Dom? Gotta be a 3-4 guy. Everybody thinks Dom needs to go, but it's not like defensive coordinators are a dime a dozen.

**** LeBeau !!!! Let's kidnap that old fart and make him scheme for us !!!!

12theTruth

If Capers isn't here for some reason next season, a good young candidate would be Mel Tucker. He would employ a 4-3 defense though. Some I hear talking about Kevin Greene being a nice replacement, I'm not sure we'd want someone that closely affiliated with Dom??

Members online

Latest posts