1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If you thought 5 preseason games was a lot...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Packerlifer, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +514
    There was a time when the National Football League played a standard 6 game preseason schedule. In those days there weren't OTAs and the like, though, so the clubs needed a longer preseason to get ready for the regular.

This is a rare full game, actual broadcast of a preseason game between the Packers and Bears at old Milwaukee County Stadium in 1969. This was the season following the fall of the Packers' dynasty of the '60's and the theme was "The Pack Will Be Back."

Many of the great Hall of Fame veterans and all-pros of the Lombardi years were still playing: Bart Starr, Donny Anderson, Boyd Dowler, Carroll Dale, Gale Gillingham, Forrest Gregg, Willie Davis, Ray Nitschke, Herb Adderley, Willie Wood; to name a few.

These were also the Bears of Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus.

Calling the game was the great Ray Scott, "the voice of the Green Bay Packers."

http://www.packershistory.net/1969PACKERS/PRESEASON-GAME2.html

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. mongoosev

mongoosev Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    Not that old to have been fortunate to have watched games during that era but old enough to have been fortunate, or not, to have watched games starting from the late 70s that I was aware of.
    Don't even remember any of the preseasons during the 80s, let alone most of the games. Seems Packs were struggling during that time and most of my friends and I watched the Brewers anyway! :D

3. Stoft63

Stoft63 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's crazy. Wish they would just do two.

4. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +514
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  5. Dagger85

Dagger85 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +207
    This may be a dumb question, but why doesn't the NFL just include the HOF game as part of a team's 4-game preseason schedule?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +957
    $$$$

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,598
    Because one team would only get to play a single home game during the preseason, losing money by not being able to charge huge money for another exhibition game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dagger85

Dagger85 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +207
    That makes sense. Wasn't a fan of the 5 game preseason schedule at first, but I suppose it could be good. We get the Packers a week earlier than usual and Hundley, among other people, will benefit.

9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,598
    I don't like having to play an additional preseason game as it increases the chances of players getting hurt in a meaningless exhibition.

10. Dagger85

Dagger85 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +207
    To be honest, I am just trying to start the positivity early this year. I'd rather have 4. ;)

• Like Like x 1