If you thought 5 preseason games was a lot...

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a time when the National Football League played a standard 6 game preseason schedule. In those days there weren't OTAs and the like, though, so the clubs needed a longer preseason to get ready for the regular.

This is a rare full game, actual broadcast of a preseason game between the Packers and Bears at old Milwaukee County Stadium in 1969. This was the season following the fall of the Packers' dynasty of the '60's and the theme was "The Pack Will Be Back."

Many of the great Hall of Fame veterans and all-pros of the Lombardi years were still playing: Bart Starr, Donny Anderson, Boyd Dowler, Carroll Dale, Gale Gillingham, Forrest Gregg, Willie Davis, Ray Nitschke, Herb Adderley, Willie Wood; to name a few.

These were also the Bears of Gale Sayers and **** Butkus.

Calling the game was the great Ray Scott, "the voice of the Green Bay Packers."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

http://www.packershistory.net/1969PACKERS/PRESEASON-GAME2.html

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that old to have been fortunate to have watched games during that era but old enough to have been fortunate, or not, to have watched games starting from the late 70s that I was aware of.
Don't even remember any of the preseasons during the 80s, let alone most of the games. Seems Packs were struggling during that time and most of my friends and I watched the Brewers anyway! :D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but why doesn't the NFL just include the HOF game as part of a team's 4-game preseason schedule?

D

Deleted member 6794

This may be a dumb question, but why doesn't the NFL just include the HOF game as part of a team's 4-game preseason schedule?

Because one team would only get to play a single home game during the preseason, losing money by not being able to charge huge money for another exhibition game.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because one team would only get to play a single home game during the preseason, losing money by not being able to charge huge money for another exhibition game.

That makes sense. Wasn't a fan of the 5 game preseason schedule at first, but I suppose it could be good. We get the Packers a week earlier than usual and Hundley, among other people, will benefit.

D

Deleted member 6794

That makes sense. Wasn't a fan of the 5 game preseason schedule at first, but I suppose it could be good. We get the Packers a week earlier than usual and Hundley, among other people, will benefit.

I don't like having to play an additional preseason game as it increases the chances of players getting hurt in a meaningless exhibition.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts