1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

IF YOU COULD LIVE ANYWHERE,WHERE WOULD IT BE

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by MontanaBob, Jul 26, 2007.

1. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just sitting here watching the smoke in the sky and got to thinking about ZERO2COOL's reply to my last post about our fires. If you could move anywhere in the USA, where would you move to and why. A job is waiting for you there, and housing at the same current cost.

Two years ago a friend of ours got fed up with low salaries in Missoula and took a techie job in New Orleans.......only to get blown out by Katrina and spent 5 months in a FEMA trailer before heading back to Missoula and his old job. He said, "boy what a mistake that was."

My point is, we have to take the good with the bad. Sure, our salaries are lower here, but...no sales tax, some of the best medical hospitals and care in the Northwest, every kind of store and service you would want, and the best scenery in the country. Plus...only 6.2 people per square mile. :thumbsup:

So, where would you move to?

2. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    If I could, I would live in Green Bay, where else? Preferably near Lambeau Field.

3. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    A small town on the north shore of Maui... named Hana... quiet little town that is kinda of a throw back in time. Weather is always in the mid 80's and 70's at night. Lots of tourists come through during the day but the scenery and peacefulness is 2nd to none.

Anywhere in the states of Montana or Western Colorado where the population is low and the nature is aplenty.

But Wisconsin isn't all the bad either.

4. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Somewhere on Flathead lake would be great.

5. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't narrow it down to one, so I'd pick one of these three, Sonoma County in Northern California, pretty much anywhere in Colorado or Raleigh or Charlotte North Carolina.

6. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Scottsdale, AZ
    San Francisco, CA
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Cashiers, NC

Oh hell, Since we are dreaming, why not at all four spots with a private jet at my disposal!!!

7. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Vike4life...good idea. You and 85,000 other people who'd like to live on the shores of Flathead lake. East shore or West shore?

For those of you that don't know Flathead Lake, it is in Northwestern Montana, about 38 miles long and 5-9 miles across. The Mission Mts. butt up against the east shore and the scenery is absolutely gorgeous. Very deep lake with good fishing, sailing, windsurfing, and sitting on the beaches sipping a cool one.

8. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    :rotflmao:

Yeah, but what do you do the next day...when summer is over?

9. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The largest freshwater lake West of the Mississippi. I used to visit that area often. My roommate from the army was a UofM Grizzly. He is a game warden now. He lives near Livingston now.

10. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Go to Kalispell and go skiing.

11. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Vikes...you want to go to Whitefish...."Big Mountain" and ski the day and night away. In the summer, ride the chair lift up to the top and take in a concert. Free, by the way. Your buddy lives in a neat area. Livingston and south of there are some pretty pristine areas. When did your buddy go to UM?

Hey Trippster...come on out here and I'll show you a good time...either summer or winter. Skiing, snowmobiling, dogsleding, whitewater rafting, girl chasing, or drinking home brewed micro-beers, we got it.

12. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Tripster....

I lived in Scottsdale AZ. It is nice but June, July and August are a killer because of the heat.

Golf in July and August is cheap at about $80-$100 per round. Golf in Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb plan on paying $265 a round at Troon North or most of the courses in Scottsdale. Also as soon as the snow birds fly in from the North the price of food goes up about 40% It is a joke.

My choice would be Montana and Idaho. Although I could live in Gonzales Texas, I love that little town, great fishing and hunting and a town square that is right out of Mayberry R.F.D. plus it is a short drive to San Antonio and the river walk.

Vancouver Canada is by far the most beautiful city in North America. That is where my home is.

Montana Bob.... I envy you.

13. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Tripster....

I lived in Scottsdale AZ. It is nice but June, July and August are a killer because of the heat.

Golf in July and August is cheap at about $80-$100 per round. Golf in Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb plan on paying $265 a round at Troon North or most of the courses in Scottsdale. Also as soon as the snow birds fly in from the North the price of food goes up about 40% It is a joke.

My choice would be Montana and Idaho. Although I could live in Gonzales Texas, I love that little town, great fishing and hunting and a town square that is right out of Mayberry R.F.D. plus it is a short drive to San Antonio and the river walk.

Vancouver Canada is by far the most beautiful city in North America. That is where my home is.

Montana Bob.... I envy you.

14. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oregon coast. California's coast is much prettier, but it's full of Californians and their communistic laws. I'm only in California because I'm making a lot of money (well, for my standards).

15. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    western Montana. probably missoula. and at this point in time, anywhere but the city sounds good to me.

16. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +112
    Florida or Green Bay :D

17. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Big Mountain, been awhile since I have been there. What a great time. He graduated in 1991.
    We were in this bar in Missoula on New Years Eve in 1989. There was this gorgeous blonde at the end of the bar (could have been my beer goggles).
    She was all alone. I was going to hit on her. When I walked up she hit the spitoon on the floor. I think she had some Redman. Needless to say it was a turnoff.
    We did go to Big Mountain skiing the next two days. It was great. As you know it is a whole new ball game when you go from packed to powder. It took a few runs to get the hang of it.

18. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sitting here in Middleton Idaho right now, 1900 miles from the good old U.P. of Michigan, been here since Monday.
    I stayed in Minneapolis the 1st night and decided that Minnesota drivers are worse than Wisconsin drivers.
    Stayed in a little town on the western end of North Dakota the second night, ND was pretty nondescript but sure was hot and we lost our air conditioning just west of Fargo.
    We stayed in Bozeman Montana the 3rd night as we had to lay up because of the heat. Eastern Montana was pretty nondescript also but western Montana has some nice scenery it would have been nice to have Montana Bob show us around if we had the time.
    We got to Boise/Middleton on Monday afternoon.
    It's blazing hot and dry here and the sky is filled with smoke from the fires raging all over the west.
    We have been going up in the mountains every day but it's hot and dry even up there.
    I don't much like it here in Boise, it reminds me of Phoenix 20 years ago.

I guess the bottom line is that I just want to get back to the good old U.P.

19. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Anytime any of you get by this way, let me know when you're coming and I'll try to hook up with you. We'll even roll out the red carpet...well, it ain't red but Grizzly Maroon and Silver.

20. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Tough call...either Paducah, KY or Cairo, IL. Juuuust kidding.

Hawaii, or San Diego in the USA, or the Baltic Coast or Italy for exotic locales.

21. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    sounds like a good time, I will definately let you know when I am coming west. Have talked about a hunting trip sometime in the next year or two, might be doing that.

22. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    yooper, what town did you stay at in ND?

23. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I for sure would pick Wisconsin because all of my family is there, but surely not because of the weather.

Second place: Montana, its beautiful there
    Third Place: Colorado, its beautiful there as well.

California is a beautiful place, but expensive, surely not a place to retire.

24. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    i wouldn't pick anyplace where it's hot. i don't love bitter cold, but i can handle it better than blistering heat.

25. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to live in San Diego...That is if i had an NFL ticket on the dish. How can you beat San Diego? Nice weather..All the time. Ocean. Not rainy like florida. Can't beat it!