If you could change any NFL rules.....

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK so your the commish. Or someone who has the power to make suggestions or to change the rules in the NFL.
What would they be?
Here's mine:
1) No more taking knees of the winning team in the final seconds of the game.
Each team must play as hard as they can until the clock winds down to 0.

2) During the last 5 minutes of regulation the clock will stop after each play is completed regardless of the outcome.

3) No more "hurry up offenses." The offense must wait for the dfense to be in line and ready before the snap.
So that the D-fense doesn't stall, they will also have a play clock.

4) No more "Sudden death overtime" and no more tie games.
If the game goes into OT then it will be played the same way that college plays OT.

5) Why bother with the extra point? Instead it will be 7 points for each TD.
A team can still go for a two point conversion to make it 9. But they must start from the 10 yard line to the goal.

6) Each NFL referee will now have that as his full time job.

Your ideas....

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would overhaul the officiating system. Every ref would be held accountable and be subject to bi -weekly performance reviews. Complaints can be made, heard and reviewed by a committee to resolve disputes. Instant replay for flags, penalties, either forced by the review booth or head coach if he wishes to challenge a ruling on the field. The coach will be charged with a T/O if the ruling does not go in his favor. Monthly meetings will be held to ensure the accuracy, and consistency of officiating and penalty calls. Disciplinary action and eventual termination of employment will result if ref fails to call justifiable penalties on a consistent basis or who consistently calls unjustifiable penalties. This is to ensure the regulation and consistency of penalty calling and prevent corruption. Teams, coaches, players and refs must have a monthly meeting to ensure rules are understood.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
The problem I have the taking a new change is that if a team is already up by enough, and you ask tehm to do it again you risk unsportsmanlike conduct of running up the score.

I definetly like Kitten's idea though the ref's would oppose it too much, we should post that on other team's message boards, maybe the refs won't take it out on us.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the single thing i would change is the review system. I like limited reviews. 2 given with a third bonus if you get both right. thats good. so the general mechanisms and scheme remain the same however. i think every play should be reviewable for anything. Questionable PI call? Red Flag. Missed holding? Red Flag. Forward progress? Red Flag. Helmet to helmet not called? red flag. basically anything and everything is held to scrutiny. As a corollary, this would mean that the entire play becomes under review, so if youre looking for a better spot or wanting the facemask called, youll have to answer for your olineman getting away with a hold. so much more risk/reward as well. and hey itd probably create more jobs for teams for people to just review any questionable calls for possible reviews.

why this is good:
1. gets rid of those awful calls that change games
2. makes refs more honest knowing they could be called out
3. makes challenges more strategic, only having two with so many more options to challenge on makes coaches really think about it.
4. gets rid of those calls that are 'unreviewable'

i really cannot see any reason why this is not better than what is currently in place. especially in light of all the press referee errors have been getting. can anyone spot any flaws?

Reaction score
OK so your the commish. Or someone who has the power to make suggestions or to change the rules in the NFL.
What would they be?
Here's mine:
1) No more taking knees of the winning team in the final seconds of the game.
Each team must play as hard as they can until the clock winds down to 0.

2) During the last 5 minutes of regulation the clock will stop after each play is completed regardless of the outcome.

3) No more "hurry up offenses." The offense must wait for the dfense to be in line and ready before the snap.
So that the D-fense doesn't stall, they will also have a play clock.

4) No more "Sudden death overtime" and no more tie games.
If the game goes into OT then it will be played the same way that college plays OT.

5) Why bother with the extra point? Instead it will be 7 points for each TD.
A team can still go for a two point conversion to make it 9. But they must start from the 10 yard line to the goal.

6) Each NFL referee will now have that as his full time job.

Your ideas....

The only one i agree with is number 4. Other than that I think all your rule changes are absurd. The first rule you put players in risk of injury when a game is over.

The second rule just makes the game longer

The Third rule helps the defense out dramatically because it allows for personnel changes, players get more rest, and it allows for the defense to make audibles.

Fifth rule is just stupid

Sixth rule isn't to bad. It can be debated though.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not big issues but I'd eliminate the penalty for celebration and taunting as well as the do not take your helmet off on the field rule. Those to me just seem silly. Having too many rules makes some people go nuts. In the worst cases it can cause a fan to withdraw their support for the league. The NHL is an example of this.

Nana

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Like this thread!

1) 16 game schedule
2) Owners must publish an annual team earnings report
3) Eliminate NFL Network only games
4) Fixed rookie year salaries, no benefit packages, no signing bonuses. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason why a un-blooded rookie out of college should be making more than any NFL veteran.
5) Pass Interference penalties are 15 yards and a 1st down unless committed in the endzone.
6) Bring back stopping the clock when a player steps out of bounds.
7) Public referee floggings for flagrantly bad calls (just kidding....mostly)
8) If you hold a city/state hostage to secure funding for a new stadium; the city/state must be granted a controlling interest in the teams ownership until the money is paid back.
9) Any team that is owned by the public gets automatic bye weeks when they reach the playoffs
10) Any drafted rookie hold outs are automatically ineligible for NFL play for three years after what would have been their rookie year.

Hmmmm.....I'm sure the more I think about what rules I'd change the more I'll add to this post!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My rule change would be that there has to be a clear criteria for NFL refs, and that they have to call the games in fair and balanced fashion.

No use having rules when sometimes they're called and sometimes they're not.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing I don't understand is why certain penalties are whistled dead while others are not.
False start/Off sides the play is dead.
Yet as soon as they see a holding penalty the play continues.
So you think your team just got a TD but then the ball is moved back 5-10 (Whatever it is) yards because someone on your team did a hold.
Whenever they call a TD on TV I hold my breath for a few seconds waiting to see if there had been a penalty.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall.....

No matter what call is or isn't made there will never be 100% satisfaction for the refs at anytime by everyone watching the game.
That just comes with the territory of the job.
I think they are getting better.
Now they allow the coaches to challenge the plays and they will review them on video when they didn't do that just a few years ago.
Yet at the same time there will be calls and things the refs miss which will leave a feeling of unfairness.
Like the missed face mask on A-Rod against the Cards. Or more recently the game winning TD the Lions should have had against the Bears.
Those were bogus things that left us feeling like something wasn't right.
There should be something that should somehow make up for it.
I dunno what that should be, but there should be something.
If players can be fined for doing stupid things, then the refs should be too.

They will never ever be 100% perfect because they are human (Yeah, that's debatable I know.)
But at the same time I feel like somehow, someway it can be better.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter what call is or isn't made there will never be 100% satisfaction for the refs at anytime by everyone watching the game.
That just comes with the territory of the job.
I think they are getting better.
Now they allow the coaches to challenge the plays and they will review them on video when they didn't do that just a few years ago.
Yet at the same time there will be calls and things the refs miss which will leave a feeling of unfairness.
Like the missed face mask on A-Rod against the Cards. Or more recently the game winning TD the Lions should have had against the Bears.
Those were bogus things that left us feeling like something wasn't right.
There should be something that should somehow make up for it.
I dunno what that should be, but there should be something.
If players can be fined for doing stupid things, then the refs should be too.

They will never ever be 100% perfect because they are human (Yeah, that's debatable I know.)
But at the same time I feel like somehow, someway it can be better.

read my post earlier for my solution :p

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) You cannot challenge pass interference penalties as of today. I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO CHALLENGE PASS INTERFERENCE PENALTIES.

2) I'd get rid of the rule that doesn't allow defense players to hit Jay Cutler.

3) I'd get rid of the rule that requires Brett Favre to keep playing.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
read my post earlier for my solution :p
Since your Chuck Norris, I guess I better. (I write while sweating bullets.)
But what I have is actual beads of sweat.
When Chuck Norris sweats bullets, he really sweats bullets!
I think the single thing i would change is the review system. I like limited reviews. 2 given with a third bonus if you get both right. thats good.
so the general mechanisms and scheme remain the same however. i think every play should be reviewable for anything. Questionable PI call? Red Flag. Missed holding? Red Flag. Forward progress? Red Flag. Helmet to helmet not called? red flag. basically anything and everything is held to scrutiny. As a corollary, this would mean that the entire play becomes under review, so if youre looking for a better spot or wanting the facemask called, youll have to answer for your olineman getting away with a hold. so much more risk/reward as well. and hey itd probably create more jobs for teams for people to just review any questionable calls for possible reviews.

why this is good:
1. gets rid of those awful calls that change games
2. makes refs more honest knowing they could be called out
3. makes challenges more strategic, only having two with so many more options to challenge on makes coaches really think about it.
4. gets rid of those calls that are 'unreviewable'

i really cannot see any reason why this is not better than what is currently in place. especially in light of all the press referee errors have been getting. can anyone spot any flaws?
Yeah. I can dig your ideas.
For some reason, right now, they are willing to give limited powers to the coaches.
What I like about your idea is that it creates more of a check and balance system that isn't there right now.

What is the current, if any, limits on throwing the red flag? Is it only twice per game, per half?
(I know they can't do it after the 2 min. warning which I think is bogus.)
And would you have it stay the same if the coach is wrong by taking away a time out?
Your right that there should be some reward if the coaches get it right. (A third review if the first two are right.) But what if they get the third one right?
Or is three the limit?

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since your Chuck Norris, I guess I better. (I write while sweating bullets.)
But what I have is actual beads of sweat.
When Chuck Norris sweats bullets, he really sweats bullets!

Yeah. I can dig your ideas.
For some reason, right now, they are willing to give limited powers to the coaches.
What I like about your idea is that it creates more of a check and balance system that isn't there right now.

What is the current, if any, limits on throwing the red flag? Is it only twice per game, per half?
(I know they can't do it after the 2 min. warning which I think is bogus.)
And would you have it stay the same if the coach is wrong by taking away a time out?
Your right that there should be some reward if the coaches get it right. (A third review if the first two are right.) But what if they get the third one right?
Or is three the limit?

The current system is just that, 2 challenges per game, if you make both you can have a third challenge. three is the limit. perhaps this could be amended to 4, tops, if the challengeable plays were opened up, but i think 3 is good, otherwise thered be too much stoppage. and yes they should continue to lose timeouts. otherwise theres really no risk at all to challenging

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) You cannot challenge pass interference penalties as of today. I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO CHALLENGE PASS INTERFERENCE PENALTIES.

2) I'd get rid of the rule that doesn't allow defense players to hit Jay Cutler.

3) I'd get rid of the rule that requires Brett Favre to keep playing.
In regards to:
1) Or just simply get rid of pass interference period. J/K
I agree with the remarks of a previous post that it should just be a 15 yarder and not placed where the infraction happened.

3) Yeah. Or there should be limits as to when a team can have a player join a team.
Like up to the time of the first week of pre-season. Don't have your dream team? Too bad. Wait until the season is over to make trades and draft picks.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I like the idea of being able to challenge PI penalties more than just limiting them to 15 yards. I feel like if this were instituted, anytime a DB is about to give up a big pass, they could just interfere and give up 15 instead of, say 40 yards.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of being able to challenge PI penalties more than just limiting them to 15 yards. I feel like if this were instituted, anytime a DB is about to give up a big pass, they could just interfere and give up 15 instead of, say 40 yards.

this is exactly why its not in the pros. i dont like the 15 yarders.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I've always wanted the ability for coaches to challenge "penalties". If there was a blatant penalty that was missed, or a penalty called that shouldn't have been its only right to be able to challenge it. My idea from a while ago was to have 2-3 additional "challenge" flags, but of a different color. These are for penalties. Throw them anytime, but regardless of the outcome thats all you get.

#2.) Ice the kicker rule... once the center has his hand on the ball and the kicker is in position, no timeouts from special teams (defense). Too many people on the field? Too bad. No more having to kick twice. You can still ice the kicker prior to this. (Heard this rule from Boomer on SC... liked it)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would overhaul the officiating system. Every ref would be held accountable and be subject to bi -weekly performance reviews. Complaints can be made, heard and reviewed by a committee to resolve disputes. Instant replay for flags, penalties, either forced by the review booth or head coach if he wishes to challenge a ruling on the field. The coach will be charged with a T/O if the ruling does not go in his favor. Monthly meetings will be held to ensure the accuracy, and consistency of officiating and penalty calls. Disciplinary action and eventual termination of employment will result if ref fails to call justifiable penalties on a consistent basis or who consistently calls unjustifiable penalties. This is to ensure the regulation and consistency of penalty calling and prevent corruption. Teams, coaches, players and refs must have a monthly meeting to ensure rules are understood.

I was under the understanding that refs performances are reviewed every week. Pretty sure you can file something if you feel like your team was screwed over too, but most teams drop it. Maybe im wrong though

Reaction score
The thing I don't understand is why certain penalties are whistled dead while others are not.
False start/Off sides the play is dead.
Yet as soon as they see a holding penalty the play continues.
So you think your team just got a TD but then the ball is moved back 5-10 (Whatever it is) yards because someone on your team did a hold.
Whenever they call a TD on TV I hold my breath for a few seconds waiting to see if there had been a penalty.

First off they dont stop the play when it is offsides. They do it for False starts and encroachment. Those are pre play penalties. Holding penalties happen during the play. Its like a face mask. A face mask doesn't happen before the ball is hiked.

Members online