If we made the playoffs

Play Favre, Avoid Favre?

• I'd rather see Packers/Vikings round 3

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • I'd rather a different team took him out so we don't have to.

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I actually want to play Favre again.

I want to make the previous 2 game irrelevant by going in to his place and beating him. It's unlikely we'd beat them, but I just want the shot.

Plus, that'd be the most fun week of hype in history.

So, what does everyone else think? Would you rather avoid Favre and hope some other team takes him out, or would you rather we get the chance to do it ourselves?

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be an absolute EPIC game with massive TV ratings. I would almost think that it would outdraw the Super Bowl itself for the national audience. Super Bowl would still get more overall as it is broadcast in multiple countries.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
All things considered ... I don't think facing the Vikings for a 3rd time will prove beneficial for the Packers as an organisation ... - Because of the sheer level of talent on the respective teams ...

Sure it would be nice for the media to have a "Favre vs Packers III", however, I don't think it will be a likely scenario giving the circumstances ...

- Most likely it would require the Packers to win their first playoff game (should the Packers even reach the playoffs), and at this point, with Al Harris out and how the Packers have been playing against good teams (Dallas being the exception to that) so far this season, most likely, it will be another loss, and a very tough one for the organisation as a whole - let alone the fan base of the Packer nation ...

The sheer level of pressure in such a game, will weigh far heavier on the Packers team than on the Vikings really, and I personally just don't think the players will be able to cope with that ... Given how they played in the two previous games ... - Granted playoff games are totally different ... But if there is one thing this Packers team have been lacking, and which has been quite evident, it's the lack of "onfield" veteran leaders ...

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
All things considered ... I don't think facing the Vikings for a 3rd time will prove beneficial for the Packers as an organisation ... - Because of the sheer level of talent on the respective teams ...

Sure it would be nice for the media to have a "Favre vs Packers III", however, I don't think it will be a likely scenario giving the circumstances ...

- Most likely it would require the Packers to win their first playoff game (should the Packers even reach the playoffs), and at this point, with Al Harris out and how the Packers have been playing against good teams (Dallas being the exception to that) so far this season, most likely, it will be another loss, and a very tough one for the organisation as a whole - let alone the fan base of the Packer nation ...

The sheer level of pressure in such a game, will weigh far heavier on the Packers team than on the Vikings really, and I personally just don't think the players will be able to cope with that ... Given how they played in the two previous games ... - Granted playoff games are totally different ... But if there is one thing this Packers team have been lacking, and which has been quite evident, it's the lack of "onfield" veteran leaders ...
I agree that it's pretty unlikely we would even win the first playoff game required in order to get to Minnesota. As of now we'd play Arizona or Dallas, and one has tons of playoff experience from last year and the other couldn't be more desperate for a playoff win. Frankly, we wouldn't get through either of them.

Not to mention that if we were the 6 seed, like I think we're going to be, we'd have to get through both Dallas/Arizona and New Orleans, which is never going to happen. I shudder to think what Brees would do to our depleted secondary.

It's just a sort of fun hypothetical.

DoubleC4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have been telling all of my friends this is gonna happen. they look at me like im an idiot. i hope it happens it would be amazing. maybe driver could moon the dome?!

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I agree that it's pretty unlikely we would even win the first playoff game required in order to get to Minnesota. As of now we'd play Arizona or Dallas, and one has tons of playoff experience from last year and the other couldn't be more desperate for a playoff win. Frankly, we wouldn't get through either of them.

Not to mention that if we were the 6 seed, like I think we're going to be, we'd have to get through both Dallas/Arizona and New Orleans, which is never going to happen. I shudder to think what Brees would do to our depleted secondary.

It's just a sort of fun hypothetical.

I agree it's an interesting hypothetical idea ... - However, like the Saints have been playing lately (past 4 weeks) ... I don't see them going through undefeated ... - And in case of a tie with Minnesota, Minnesota looks like they will be winning the tie breaker (strength of schedule) ...

- Thus - in my opinion - the road for the Packers to face Favre a 3rd time *will* be via the Saints in the Dome in New Orleans ...

Ofcourse, the Vikings could just as well lose their play off game as well, thus ending the possibility right there also ... However, as is ... I do believe that the Vikings will end up in the NFC Championship match this year ... and most likely be facing the Saints ... in Minnesota ...

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still some football left to be played. It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giants lost to the Cowboys both times in 2007 and won there in the playoffs. 2008 Giants were hyped as the best team and the Eagles won at the Giants stadium in the playoffs.

I hope we play them again. Playoffs it's a whole different game. They're a better team than we are, I'm not denying that. Also, if I had to bet, and was not biased, I would put money on them if we faced them in there. But I think if we're able to make the playoffs, we'll see a very different Green Bay Packers...

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Giants lost to the Cowboys both times in 2007 and won there in the playoffs. 2008 Giants were hyped as the best team and the Eagles won at the Giants stadium in the playoffs.

I hope we play them again. Playoffs it's a whole different game. They're a better team than we are, I'm not denying that. Also, if I had to bet, and was not biased, I would put money on them if we faced them in there. But I think if we're able to make the playoffs, we'll see a very different Green Bay Packers...

Actually chances are that when facing a team the 3rd time in a season, more so than not, the same team will lose ...

So far it has been the outcome in 9 times out of 11 possible times (during the "Super Bowl Era") ...

Only twice has a team that has lost it's previous 2 games prior been able to win the 3rd matchup ... - In 2004 when the Vikings beat the Packers and in 1994 when the Bears beat the Vikings.

Most recently; In 1986 the Giants won against the Redskins thrice. In 2000 the Giants beat the Eagles thrice and in 2008 the Steelers beat the Ravens 3 times ...

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That game would be LEGEN...wait...wait for it...wait a little longer...DARY! "Packers @ queens 3" it would be huge.

And hell yeah, it's gonna be difficult, specially without Sackman and Al Harris, but this team need to show it has some "cojones". It would be a great laughter if we finish #4 and Minny their quest for the SB.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
That game would be LEGEN...wait...wait for it...wait a little longer...DARY! "Packers @ queens 3" it would be huge.

And hell yeah, it's gonna be difficult, specially without Sackman and Al Harris, but this team need to show it has some "cojones". It would be a great laughter if we finish #4 and Minny their quest for the SB.

In all likelyhood ... facing the Packers for a 3rd time would be a "wish scenario" come true ... Because should that happen, it will probably mean that once Minnesota wins a 3rd time they will be in the Super Bowl ... As the season has progressed it's a Vikings team that has improved as each week has gone by ... whereas the Saints most likely will end up with the same record as the Vikings, and so far Minnesota will (probably) get the tie breaker via strength of schedule ... (ironically possibly be the Packers victory against the Cowboys will put Minnesota in that position ...).

Chances are that the best "bet" for the Packers *not* to be facing Favre againt next season would be if Minnesota wins the Super Bowl ... Because chances are that if Minnesota loses in a possibly NFC Championship game, and so far it looks like that the Vikings will retain an intact team going from this season to 2010 - Most likely Favre will be back for yet another 20th consecutive season ... But then again ... Even if that happens ... Favre will probably be back ...

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think even if the Vikings win the super bowl that Favre will come back to try and win another as all the pieces would still be there and they would also possibly add another free agent to make the team even better.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like some revenge if you know what I mean.

This would be a tough game for sure and we would be massive underdogs, but I want another shot at the Vikings.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like some revenge if you know what I mean.

This would be a tough game for sure and we would be massive underdogs, but I want another shot at the Vikings.
That would be one SUPER LOUD game in the Metro... oh wait at the Mall of America field dome whatever it is called now.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings may be a little more talented overall but history says you don't beat a team three times in one year. I don't see Minn getting out of the second round after a bye due to Brett's recent playoff records and the whole choke in key situation scenarios. Truth is as great as he is in the past in the recent past he has made terrible fatal decisions, and I am not convinced that has changed.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Look, like it or not, the Vikies have the second best record in the NFC and even though they're playing the same creampuff type schedule that the Pack are playing, they're winning the games and therefore, to be the best ... blah blah blah...

Remember how the Cowboys always had the Packers' number back in the 90's? I wonder what would have happened after the '96 season had the Panthers NOT beaten the Cowbags to earn a berth in the NFC Championship game -- particularly after the 'bags beat the Pack in the NFC Championship game following the '95 season. I won't give the trophy back...but, it would have been more satisfying to beat the flippin' Cowbags instead of Carolina.

Truthfully, I'd love to have another shot at them. I'd be willing to hang my head in shame one more time....for the opportunity to shove a win in the loud-mouthed Vikies fans faces.

ColtsSeahawks

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually agree, I would love to see Vikes and Packs 3.... The Packers (like I said at the beginning of the year) are a team built on momentum just like the Colts... Once they get on a streak they are hard to stop just like most teams I guess... If the Packers can beat Baltimore IMO they will be (next to the Saints, and Minnesota) the next team to beat.... If Green Bay can get on a roll here and maybe even win out or lose just one more game... Get in the playoffs at 11-5 they will be a tough team to slow down. This team looks extremely good right now, and both games against Minnesota were very close.

Well see how Minnesota does from here out.. IMO they are reaching the teeth of their schedule.. Playing the Bears twice, Arizona, Carolina, and the Giants... This will show what Minnesota is really made out of.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well see how Minnesota does from here out.. IMO they are reaching the teeth of their schedule.. Playing the Bears twice, Arizona, Carolina, and the Giants... This will show what Minnesota is really made out of.
The Bears are an absolute mess right now, Carolina is an average team, and the Giants just got hammered by Kyle Orton and the Broncos. Arizona could be a test for them but they play like garbage at home. The teeth for the Vikes are over already and that was Ravens, 49ers, Steelers, and the Pack twice.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are an absolute mess right now, Carolina is an average team, and the Giants just got hammered by Kyle Orton and the Broncos. Arizona could be a test for them but they play like garbage at home. The teeth for the Vikes are over already and that was Ravens, 49ers, Steelers, and the Pack twice.
Kyle Orton is having a pro bowl year, make no mistake... He has a weak arm, but that McDaniels' system is perfect for him. Orton has a REALLY good understanding of defenses, and where the ball is supposed to go. He has nice accuracy, very nice pocket awareness and very good command of the huddle.

I sure didn't know he was that good, but Chicago is a QB burial ground. Their lack of receivers, OL protection, combined with an awful gameplann, is the perfect mix to end signalcallers' careers...

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle Orton is having a pro bowl year, make no mistake... He has a weak arm, but that McDaniels' system is perfect for him. Orton has a REALLY good understanding of defenses, and where the ball is supposed to go. He has nice accuracy, very nice pocket awareness and very good command of the huddle.

I sure didn't know he was that good, but Chicago is a QB burial ground. Their lack of receivers, OL protection, combined with an awful gameplann, is the perfect mix to end signalcallers' careers...
The definite lack of a real WR threat for the Bears has hampered them this year. The Devin Hester experiment is an utter failure and Johnny Knox is below average. Matt Forte really hasn't stepped up this year either to help the passing game out. The lone bright spot has been Greg Olsen who is a great tight end.

Denver did just end a four game losing streak that although they lost to the Chargers, Ravens, and Steelers included a loss to the Redskins.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The definite lack of a real WR threat for the Bears has hampered them this year. The Devin Hester experiment is an utter failure and Johnny Knox is below average. Matt Forte really hasn't stepped up this year either to help the passing game out. The lone bright spot has been Greg Olsen who is a great tight end.

Denver did just end a four game losing streak that although they lost to the Chargers, Ravens, and Steelers included a loss to the Redskins.
Not to mention that they gave us one game advantage over the Giants in the wildcard race.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Orton would be a good pro QB when he came out of Purdue. But that Chicago stint absolutely retarded his progress. I didn't think Drew Brees would be good as a pro. Now I have a lot of respect for the way ol' Joe Tiller trained up his boys in West Lafayette.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts