If the Pack goes Super Mario in the first...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope The Ohio State's OLB Bobby Carpenter slides to them in the 2nd...

At 6-3 255 he is strong and plays with deceptive quickness and speed (4.57 forty) for a LB of his size. He is certainly not as flashy as A. J. Hawk (who may go to the Pack at #5 and render this post moot) but he has better fundamentals. He has the complete game -- tremendous as a pass rusher with his hand down or coming off of blitz packages, he also can stuff the run, and can play pass defense allowing him to stay on the field in nickel packages.

He has heart and is a solid leader and comes up big in big games against top competition. He comes with solid bloodlines -- his father, Rob, played in the NFL.

If he is medically cleared (from his broken fibula) he is a player who is ready to contribute and has great upside potential. If he falls out of the first and the Packers pass on A.J. with their first pick, I hope they pounce on the opportunity to bring in this big guy who will make instant contributions to a position of need.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
He is certainly not as flashy as A. J. Hawk (who may go to the Pack at #5 and render this post moot)

i wouldnt mind getting 2 early LBs. thats our biggest defensive need after CB (safety is 3rd), and a youth movement might be in order.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Bruce said:
He is certainly not as flashy as A. J. Hawk (who may go to the Pack at #5 and render this post moot)

i wouldnt mind getting 2 early LBs. thats our biggest defensive need after CB (safety is 3rd), and a youth movement might be in order.

The Pack is in far better shape at CB than DE, but there is some credence to the old adage "you can never have enough talented cover guys". As the Packers (and many teams) have seen demonstrated quite clearly it does not matter how much talent a team has in the Defensive backfield, if a QB is allowed to stand in the pocket he will pick apart even the best cover corners in the league.

The Packers have enough needs that it is impossible to say which direction they will go in the draft -- too much depends upon what happens in Free Agency, before we can be clear about exact needs. This was simply speculation about one possiblility of a talent kid who may drop because of a broken leg.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce: as allways, clear sharp, right on the money, very logic..... That is what I like about you my friend, and as you stated we have so many needs that we can really go for the best player available !!!

Have a good weekend Packer Backers !!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce...I like that idea and a fibula is easy to come back from as long as the ankle wasn't damaged. My only concern about Carpenter, is how much he might have benefited from playing with Hawk. I'm not a huge Ohio State fan but I do know that in the Fiesta Bowl Notre Dame made it a point to know where Hawk was at all times. Did other teams do that all year?

I know Carpenter didn't play against Notre Dame but that kind of adds to my concern. Hawk played just as dominating a game in the Fiesta Bowl without Carpenter by his side as he did all year with him.

OhioNative

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, I have been a lifetime pack fan, I think the pack should take A.J. Hawk with the #5 pick we have been pretty bad at the linebacker position for several years now. The only good linebacker the pack has is Barnett and upgrading with Hawk would be a great addition.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Ohio! If you can, post in the "Introduction" area and tell us a little about yourself!
ALWAYS glad to see another "Packer Backer" here! :D

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a draft very deep in LB's according to several "draft gurus". Hawk is the best of a very good year of LB's.

As much as Hawk is a great player, I think for overall value the Packers may take a good one later rather than a superlative one initially.

Mario? He may get better with good coaching and may cause the least disruption to the team that 1st round picks can do. He is a top ten pick but is probably the best fit for the Packers if Ferguson is not on the board.

The Packers would be very lucky if Carpenter would still be on the board for #37. Many projections have him going #25-30.

Looking at projections and assuming Carpenter is not there, I think there is a good chance that getting the best value in the draft is trading down the second round pick. If a third or fourth round pick can be aquired, 3 of the next 4 (hopefully 1st day choices) could be an LB, RB, OG, in the order best suited for the team. This would get some quality without waiting for later more developmental picks.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
This is a draft very deep in LB's according to several "draft gurus". Hawk is the best of a very good year of LB's.

As much as Hawk is a great player, I think for overall value the Packers may take a good one later rather than a superlative one initially.

Mario? He may get better with good coaching and may cause the least disruption to the team that 1st round picks can do. He is a top ten pick but is probably the best fit for the Packers if Ferguson is not on the board.

The Packers would be very lucky if Carpenter would still be on the board for #37. Many projections have him going #25-30.

Looking at projections and assuming Carpenter is not there, I think there is a good chance that getting the best value in the draft is trading down the second round pick. If a third or fourth round pick can be aquired, 3 of the next 4 (hopefully 1st day choices) could be an LB, RB, OG, in the order best suited for the team. This would get some quality without waiting for later more developmental picks.

Yes, the Packers would certainly be lucky to bag Carpenter at #37, but as any serious draft person would tell you a 10 position drop is nowhere near unusual. Thompson does like to trade down, but teams rarely get shots like the Packers are getting with the #5 & #37 picks to make serious noise in a draft.

Ferguson is a great offensive Tackle, but it is probably the position that we need the least amount of help at. To draft and sign him would tie far too much money up in the offensive line category -- IMO

A lot will depend upon what happens in Free Agency -- which rumor has it may be delayed until April 1st.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mario is the best prospect at DE since Peppers, and it is said he's a better prospect than Peppers. We need a dominating DE, and Mario is our guy.

Trade away KGB and draft Mario.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Use the second round pick on a guard. We have to rebuild the line and this is a year where there are about 6 premium guards and some will be there in the second round that would be first round picks any other year.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are as many as 40-45 players with "first round talent" in this draft. I don't think we should trade down in either of of the first two rounds.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts