If the Pack draft a qb....

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mort, TJ, and Keiper suggest that pack would go after cutler and young if available. I don't know how likely, but I also wouldn't rule this out.

Any thoughts, esp how this would impact Brett's decision? I honestly think he'd retire on the spot if they drafted a qb in first round.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've generally been in TT's corner, but he'd be pushing it big time if he drafts a QB on the 1st round. I just can't see it happening with all the great defensive players who will be available at #5. I do expect TT to draft a QB in round 4-5. Charlie Whitehurst maybe?

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I'd defend TT's actions, I'd be pissed if I were Brett...at #5, that be a pretty cut and dry indication that you're looking to the future rather than immediate help, and I'd suspect he'd retire.

Again, I don't know how likely this is, but the ESPN crew noted that TT and MM mentioned that they'd be willing to go best available player w/ the #5, and it's tough to say how satisified packer brass is with AR

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What IF the pack had selected TE Heath Miller last year instead of Rodgers? Now this year they need a qb. That would make for even better drama this year. Will Brett retire AND who will be the replacement.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has shown how important qb is to a team. The pack has been good for so long because of him. If TT feels that one of the three qb's is going to be a star and he can pick that person, shouldn't he? Or do you risk using 3rd and 4th rounders on qb for the next 5 years to find your guy.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its all so clear now

bretts definetly coming back.... clearly mike and teddy are staging this to look like they are serious about drafting a qb.... so that teddy can trade down with the seriously misguided GM who is thinking about drafting Vince Young. Its a great plan i think.... and now that the media is buying into it... it just might work.....

no one panic. however if im wrong and they draft vince young. you can find me right beside mattresel in the street

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
Favre has shown how important qb is to a team. The pack has been good for so long because of him. If TT feels that one of the three qb's is going to be a star and he can pick that person, shouldn't he? Or do you risk using 3rd and 4th rounders on qb for the next 5 years to find your guy.

I don't think they'll be relying on 3rd and 4th rounders to find their guy at QB. I think the team will want to see what it has in Aaron Rodgers, and if he doens't pan out the team will be in a good position to draft whatever the top-rated QB happens to be in that season.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend the 7th rounder on Young and his entourage.

Cutler might be a value in the 4th but he may be gone by then.

Ted wasted the first round pick on a bench rider last year, why repeat the mistake?

He traded away the 3rd round pick that could have been used on Buening.

If Rodgers gets hurt do you really think a rookie will be more helpful than Arth?

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't say I'd go ballistic if we went with Jay Cutler at 1.5. However, I think it's obvious that A.J. Hawk is our best option.

But here's some food for thought guys. Jay Cutler has an outstanding arm, played for a mediocre college team, has good mobility, but isn't a scrambler. He has erratic footwork and makes questionable decisions, but 90% of the time, those questionable decisions turn into great plays. Sound like anyone else we know?

Also, there's no question Aaron Rodgers would be the 4th best QB in this draft, going somewhere in the 2nd round.

Despite all this, even though Cutler wouldn't be a horrible pick, Hawk's got to be the guy.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey california, ted had to take this guy last year. think about it I have a QB who is going to retire in a year or so I need a replacment. We have the 24th pick in the draft. Oh look a QB, WHAT, aaron rodgers i thought he was going to be gone by now. Well I cant pass up that talent.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way that happens, You have to give A-Rod a chance and add veteran leadership if Favre retires

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
No way that happens, You have to give A-Rod a chance and add veteran leadership if Favre retires

took the words right outta my mouth, pyle. :eek:
absolutely right - gotta give rodgers a chance, whether we like it or not - and we definitely need a good veteran back-up qb to show the young guy the ropes.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I think that TT is working to build a team that doesn't rely on the QB as much, and Rodgers fits that mold perfectly. Look at the SB champs with Big Ben. He's a solid QB, but Pitt does rely on him to win the game.

TT is looking at building a strong defense. All of the FA signings of significance have been on defense. The biggest FAs that TT has interviewed are on defense.

Rodgers is a much different QB than Favre. He will tend to throw the ball away instead of risk an INT. This the best case for a strong defense. The offense will focus on running and WCO short passes to big WRs, along with not turning the ball over. The offense will be looking to play field position to keep the defense from being in bad field position.

With that in mind, it's highly unlikely the best player available for GB will be a QB. I think if it comes to the point that the best player available is a QB, then TT will look to trade down.

All that being said, I do believe that GB will draft a QB. It will be in the later rounds though and this will help to both give Rodgers competition and to develop a good backup QB. No one can expect Rodgers or anyone else to stay healthy every week the way Favre has for so long.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
absolutely driver. no way we take a QB. they took him last year for a reason. they haven't given the guy a chance yet, and they will certainly do that before they can him. i can't believe anyone would think that the organization would do otherwise. if, after a year of rodgers starting, we suck ***, then the organization can decide to draft a different QB, and we will have a high pick in the draft to do exactly that. if that isn't how you see the situation, you need your head examined.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that because of the value teams put on the QB and DE positions more mistakes are made in the top 10 at these two positions than any other. Reports on the big 3 QB's are mixed and all have flaws. Using a 1st rounder last year on this position and drafting there again this year could seriously cripple the franchise if a mistake is made.

I think the Favre indecision and talk about taking best player regardless of position is smokescreening to get others to believe that QB would be viable for GB, but I personally do not see it happening. If it does, I will officially begin looking for an exit off of the TT bandwagon.

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
absolutely driver. no way we take a QB. they took him last year for a reason. they haven't given the guy a chance yet, and they will certainly do that before they can him. i can't believe anyone would think that the organization would do otherwise. if, after a year of rodgers starting, we suck ***, then the organization can decide to draft a different QB, and we will have a high pick in the draft to do exactly that. if that isn't how you see the situation, you need your head examined.

I agree with you guys that it would be studpid to draft a qb especially because we havent let rodgers prove himself, also there are more important holes right now we need to fill. however, you have to remember who we are dealing with here, TT. TT said he would draft the best player possible, if it may land on a qb, then so be it. I still say do what it takes to sign arrington, then draft vernon davis.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Brett was pissed when we drafted Rodgers. Maybe it made him face his mortality as a player. If we draft another QB, I think he'd be major time pissed. The thing is, I dont' care if he's pissed, BUT I seriously doubt we'll draft a QB. I'd like our first pick to be AJ.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPierce said:
I think Brett was pissed when we drafted Rodgers. Maybe it made him face his mortality as a player. If we draft another QB, I think he'd be major time pissed. The thing is, I dont' care if he's pissed, BUT I seriously doubt we'll draft a QB. I'd like our first pick to be AJ.

You are the first person that I've seen say that Favre was upset about TT drafting Rodgers. Brett has been facing his mortality as a player for the past 3-4 years with his talk of retirement.

There has been no indication that Favre was upset by the Rodgers pick. In fact that pick makes things easier for him this year. Without Rodgers, all the speculation that he's hurting the team by waiting to decide would be true or TT would have had to find a capable backup earlier this offseason. Now when asked the question of what will GB do without Brett, TT can simply respond that MM is preparing Rodgers to be the starter.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it wouldn't impact Brett much at all. He's stated that he doesn't think the team can be helped much through the draft as those guys are probably going to be sucessful when he's long gone. IF GB does take a QB maybe they can pawn Rodgers off to a team like Baltimore for Chirs McAlister.. Just an example.. I much rather have a good DB and Vince Young then Rodgers and AJ Hawk..

Latest posts