If not Lynch, then who?

Reaction score
Let's say the Packers are on the clock, but M. Lynch has already been selected.

Who would you like to see the Packers go after?

Personally, I'd like to see them draft Carriker. I really like what I have seen of him, I think he'd make a nice addition into our D-Line rotation.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carriker won't last to us. We're really too far down to speculate "if not this guy, then who?" because there are about 5 borderline guys that could go either before or after us.

Having said that, I'd like Reggie Nelson if he fell to us, and maybe even Dwayne Bowe.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends what the Packers did in free agency.

For the sake of discussion. Let's say they sent a 2nd round pick to Oakland for Randy Moss.

Then I'd like to see the Packers move down into the late part of round 1 and possibly pickup an extra 1st Day pick. Early 3rd or mid to late 2nd to be exact.

Then with the 1st pick I'd use it on Michael Bush assuming Doctors cleared him to play because of his broken leg. He should be ready to go for training camp if he rehabilitated right.

Now if the Packers didn't make a move to get Moss.

I'd like to see them look at Greg Olsen of Miami. He's climbing draft boards and would make a lot of sense.

Robert Meachem of Tennessee is a fast and well balanced wide out. He'd be an excellent fit.

Dwayne Bowe of LSU is a big physical wide out that would improve our red zone offense.

I think you have to look at Chris Houston of Arkansas. He's far from Ahmad Carroll. He's strong and fast. He did 27 reps of 225 pounds at the NFL Combine. He only weighs 185 and he's one of the better bump and run Corners in the Draft.

I also like the idea of Reggie Nelson. He's a ball hawking safety. He needs to put on some weight but he'd be a nice fit with Nick Collins back there.

Anyone of those guys would help us right away in key areas. Then in round 2 you look at a RB in Brian Leonard whom would fit the zone blocking scheme. He should be there in the mid part of round 2. Probably gone by mid 3 though.

Obviously Lynch is my #1 but if he is gone there is still plenty of value left on the board for the Packers and no one should be dishearted.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynch would be my second favorite to use for the first round, as I said before a receiver would be good, like Robert Meachem, Dwayne Jarrett, or Dwayne Bowe (Jason Hill maybe for 2nd round). Although if the packer take Joe horn then take Lynch. Although if he is already taken then I would go after LaRon Landry (or if he is taken) then i would saw Michael Griffin (Texas) or Reggie Nelson (Florida). If the Cornerback role needs to have more depth then I would say go in for Leon Hall (Michigan). If he is gone and the Packers still want a runningback then I would say go After Tony Hunt (a Workhorse back), Michael Bush (good hands and good strength), or Kenny Irons. Tight Ends like Ben Patrick (2nd maybe) or Scott Chandler (easily 3rd round or 4th) could make nice picks.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarrett isn't a deep threat. He's slow and soft. He's a red zone receiver and a possession guy. How slow is he? I ran a faster 40 in High School then what he's allegedly ran in workouts.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarrett reminds me a little of a taller but perhaps a little slower Antonio Freeman, great catching abillity, however he's not worth a 1st round pick in my book if the reports are true. Second round? Definetly.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarrett isn't a deep threat. He's slow and soft. He's a red zone receiver and a possession guy. How slow is he? I ran a faster 40 in High School then what he's allegedly ran in workouts.

hate to break it to ya pal, one of the most glaring needs on the PacKers offence is a red zone threat

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

hate to break it to ya pal, one of the most glaring needs on the PacKers offence is a red zone threat

A red zone TE would make much more sense for the Packers.

Do you use a 1st round pick on a red zone WR? They're not hard to find. Paul Williams of Fresno State would fill that hole in round 2 or 3. A big physical WR that can go up and get the ball is not that rare. One that has speed to stretch the field as well is rare. Dwayne Jarrett is not that type of WR even though some think he is. All talent evaluators know that’s not his game.

If your going to draft a WR with that pick then why not Dwayne Bowe who at least has respectable speed. Drafting Jarrett leaves you with 3 guys who are good possession guys but neither can stretch the field. I believe Jarrett can be a serviceable asset but if he runs a 4.75 40 (as reported) at his pro day, he is not worth the 16th pick in the Draft over guys like Bowe, Meachem, or Olsen. He’ll need to run a low 4.6 or high 4.5 for most to accept him as a good value pick at #16. If not then the USC hype is what’s carrying him into the Draft.

WR is also a very tough position to come in and have instant success. Javon Walker took 3 years to make a huge impact for the Packers. I see no difference if they use the pick on Jarrett.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:

Do you use a 1st round pick on a red zone WR? They're not hard to find. Paul Williams of Fresno State would fill that hole in round 2 or 3. A big physical WR that can go up and get the ball is not that rare. One that has speed to stretch the field as well is rare. Dwayne Jarrett is not that type of WR even though some think he is. All talent evaluators know that’s not his game.

If your going to draft a WR with that pick then why not Dwayne Bowe who at least has respectable speed. Drafting Jarrett leaves you with 3 guys who are good possession guys but neither can stretch the field. I believe Jarrett can be a serviceable asset but if he runs a 4.75 40 (as reported) at his pro day, he is not worth the 16th pick in the Draft over guys like Bowe, Meachem, or Olsen. He’ll need to run a low 4.6 or high 4.5 for most to accept him as a good value pick at #16. If not then the USC hype is what’s carrying him into the Draft.

WR is also a very tough position to come in and have instant success. Javon Walker took 3 years to make a huge impact for the Packers. I see no difference if they use the pick on Jarrett.

Jarrett is more than a red zone WRer.

Do you remember Harold Carmicheal, I know this is not spelled correctly. But he played for the eagles along time ago.

Jarrett can use his big frame to make plays. If he only has 25 catches but 9 TD's , then he is worth a #16 pick. look at Bubba Franks. was he worth a first round pick?
If Jarrett lines up in the slot and is able to get his outside shoulder turned toward brett, it can be unstoppable to stop a slant pattern.

Like I said, I like the addition of a 6'5" WRer
He is just a huge target. Randy Moss and M. Colston are examples of WRer who made an impact at WRer their first season

and i see his time in the 40 at 4.56

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:

Do you remember Harold Carmicheal, I know this is not spelled correctly. But he played for the eagles along time ago.

Jarrett can use his big frame to make plays. If he only has 25 catches but 9 TD's , then he is worth a #16 pick. look at Bubba Franks. was he worth a first round pick?
If Jarrett lines up in the slot and is able to get his outside shoulder turned toward brett, it can be unstoppable to stop a slant pattern.

He is just a huge target. Randy Moss and M. Colston are examples of WRer who made an impact at WRer their first season

That's two rookie receivers you named. One was a 7th round pick.

Santonio Holmes, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, Matt Jones, Roddy White, Mark Clayton, Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins, Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson, and Bryant Johnson. Those are players drafted since 2003 and 1st round receivers.

Out of all those guys only Roy Williams, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Lee Evans, and Michael Clayton had 1000 yards receiving or more in their career. Only Johnson has done it twice. Only Clayton did in his 1st year and it's been downhill from then on.

Recent rookie WR's to come in and have a huge impact. Colston in 06. Clayton in 04. Boldin in 03. Moss in 98. Glenn in 96.

That's off the top of my head and that number is not that high. 2 of those 5 guys were not 1st round picks.

WR is not an easy position to come in and play in the NFL. Not as easy as most people think. Calvin Johnson will probably have early success but he's a better prospect than any of those guys above.

Jarrett is also not as great of a prospect as people think. If you press him you take him out of the game. Until he finds away to beat bump and run coverage he's going to have a tough time.

Your basis of Jarrett is IF he gets 9 touchdowns that's a big IF for a rookie WR as shown above. Not sure why you picked 9 but no one on that list other than Randy Moss had 9 or more touchdowns in his rookie year. Boldin had 8 receiving touchdowns.

I don't believe Bubba Franks was a good pick for the Packers in the top 15 back in 99. I think Ron Wolf made a mistake with Franks but the Packers hands were tied with Chewy's legal issues. If Chewy doesn't have those legal issues, it's highly unlikely Wolf takes Franks with that pick.

I’d like to make it clear I’m all for brining in a rookie WR but at 16 I want a guy that can stretch the field and open things up for us. I stated the guys above I’d look at. If I want a big tall WR then I’ll look at a different position at 16 and WR in round 2 or 3. Though Jarrett can change my mind if he has a good workout at the USC pro day.

Edit: You see him? Any proof on this or are you estimating? Sounds like a guess. NFL Total Access reported a 4.75 at workouts. I think he'll run closer to that than a 4.56. He runs a 4.56. He's long gone by the time the Packers pick.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Robert Meachem has some height and is faster than Jarret, plus has some great hands. So what if some call him a "One hit wonder" doesn't take away his talent.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Robert Meachem has some height and is faster than Jarret, plus has some great hands. So what if some call him a "One hit wonder" doesn't take away his talent.

I've read from several scouts that Meachems hands are in question, and he doesn't like going over the middle of the feild.

and keep in mnd I have the Packers taking M. Bush in the 2nd.
So I'm saying Jarrett & Bush

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:

That's two rookie receivers you named. One was a 7th round pick.

Santonio Holmes, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, Matt Jones, Roddy White, Mark Clayton, Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins, Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson, and Bryant Johnson. Those are players drafted since 2003 and 1st round receivers.

Out of all those guys only Roy Williams, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Lee Evans, and Michael Clayton had 1000 yards receiving or more in their career. Only Johnson has done it twice. Only Clayton did in his 1st year and it's been downhill from then on.

Recent rookie WR's to come in and have a huge impact. Colston in 06. Clayton in 04. Boldin in 03. Moss in 98. Glenn in 96.

That's off the top of my head and that number is not that high. 2 of those 5 guys were not 1st round picks.

WR is not an easy position to come in and play in the NFL. Not as easy as most people think. Calvin Johnson will probably have early success but he's a better prospect than any of those guys above.

Jarrett is also not as great of a prospect as people think. If you press him you take him out of the game. Until he finds away to beat bump and run coverage he's going to have a tough time.

Your basis of Jarrett is IF he gets 9 touchdowns that's a big IF for a rookie WR as shown above. Not sure why you picked 9 but no one on that list other than Randy Moss had 9 or more touchdowns in his rookie year. Boldin had 8 receiving touchdowns.

I don't believe Bubba Franks was a good pick for the Packers in the top 15 back in 99. I think Ron Wolf made a mistake with Franks but the Packers hands were tied with Chewy's legal issues. If Chewy doesn't have those legal issues, it's highly unlikely Wolf takes Franks with that pick.

I’d like to make it clear I’m all for brining in a rookie WR but at 16 I want a guy that can stretch the field and open things up for us. I stated the guys above I’d look at. If I want a big tall WR then I’ll look at a different position at 16 and WR in round 2 or 3. Though Jarrett can change my mind if he has a good workout at the USC pro day.

Edit: You see him? Any proof on this or are you estimating? Sounds like a guess. NFL Total Access reported a 4.75 at workouts. I think he'll run closer to that than a 4.56. He runs a 4.56. He's long gone by the time the Packers pick.

Here is the link where i got Jarrett's time
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6422014

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't ran yet so that is a false report. Basically it's an educated guess. He didn't run at the combine so there is no official 40 time on Jarrett yet.

NFL Total Access' Mike Maylock reported at the Combine that Jarrett was clocked in at 4.75 at prior workouts. My guess is Corey Chaveous who worked out with Jarrett prior to the combine was the one who told him.

The crew spent a good 20 minutes talking about that during the Combine coverage as well. I hardly think it’s a “fake” report either otherwise they wouldn’t of put that much emphasis on it. None the less we’ll see at the pro day and even if he runs a 4.55 that hardly means he’s going to solve anything immediately for the Packers. It will help his stock though.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't ran yet so that is a false report. Basically it's an educated guess. He didn't run at the combine so there is no official 40 time on Jarrett yet.

NFL Total Access' Mike Maylock reported at the Combine that Jarrett was clocked in at 4.75 at prior workouts. My guess is Corey Chaveous who worked out with Jarrett prior to the combine was the one who told him.

The crew spent a good 20 minutes talking about that during the Combine coverage as well. I hardly think it’s a “fake” report either otherwise they wouldn’t of put that much emphasis on it. None the less we’ll see at the pro day and even if he runs a 4.55 that hardly means he’s going to solve anything immediately for the Packers. It will help his stock though.

If the Packers were to aquire Jarrett & Bush, what kind of season would Jarrett have to have, for it to be considered a great year. I don't think Jarrett would have to have a 1000 yrd season for it to be considered successful. If Jarrett became a role player, a guy we could use in the red zone and on third down out of the slot, and he had two or three catches a game for a first down or touchdown, then I'd say he had a good rookie season. And he made an impact. I also think GB is taking care or RB by drafting Bush in the second round. So ,IMHO, i prefer Jarrett over Olsen.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

If the Packers were to aquire Jarrett & Bush, what kind of season would Jarrett have to have, for it to be considered a great year. I don't think Jarrett would have to have a 1000 yrd season for it to be considered successful. If Jarrett became a role player, a guy we could use in the red zone and on third down out of the slot, and he had two or three catches a game for a first down or touchdown, then I'd say he had a good rookie season. And he made an impact. I also think GB is taking care or RB by drafting Bush in the second round. So ,IMHO, i prefer Jarrett over Olsen.

For the 16th pick in the Draft I would expect something along the lines of 700 to 900 yards and 6 to 8 touchdowns. He'd need to be a difference maker.

In my opinion a guy your describing can be found in the 3rd or 4th round. 2 or 3 catches a game is not that hard to obtain.

Also what makes you so sure that Bush will be there in round 2? I keep hearing the Packers will take Bush in round 2 and I honesty think you better pray nightly for him to fall.

I know I will :thumbsup:

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:

In my opinion a guy your describing can be found in the 3rd or 4th round. 2 or 3 catches a game is not that hard to obtain.

Also what makes you so sure that Bush will be there in round 2? I keep hearing the Packers will take Bush in round 2 and I honesty think you better pray nightly for him to fall.

i'm not talking two or three cathces a game, I'm saying two or three big plays a game, where his catches are making a difference. similar to how Bubba was utilized in the red zone for years. And I'm just hoping Bush falls to us in the second. If Peterson and Lynch, and Irons are all selected first, then the Packers may have a shot at a great player in M. Bush.
Everybody writes about who they want their team to pick and why. I like Jarrett & Bush. Two big guys capable of making big plays for my favorite player #4.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:

i'm not talking two or three cathces a game, I'm saying two or three big plays a game, where his catches are making a difference. similar to how Bubba was utilized in the red zone for years. And I'm just hoping Bush falls to us in the second. If Peterson and Lynch, and Irons are all selected first, then the Packers may have a shot at a great player in M. Bush.
Everybody writes about who they want their team to pick and why. I like Jarrett & Bush. Two big guys capable of making big plays for my favorite player #4.

Irons won't be selected in the 1st in my opinion.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:

Irons won't be selected in the 1st in my opinion.

yeah, i agree, but he maybe taken in the second before Bush

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts