If no one else will say it I will

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think Tom Brady and the Pat would have done to this defense had they made it to the SB?

The same thing Rodgers and the Packer O (when playing like they normally do) would've done to the Pat's D. The Pat's D is almost as bad as the Pack's, and they will be exposed by either the Ravens, 49ers, or Giants....but I agree; if the Packers had even a mediocre D, they'd probably still be in the hunt for the SB....

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So... let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Aaron Rodgers, who is a grown man of 28 years was so traumatized by attending a funeral that it caused his receivers and running backs to not be able to hold on to the ball? Whew... that explains everything then. Glad you cleared that up.

Uh...I think a loss of an individual is more important than a football game. That is just me. The Packers were obviously not playing like they usually play (and they are not BLAMING Philibin's son).

In the end, you just have to execute during the game, it is a matter of survival in the playoffs. However, you have no evidence to say IT DID NOT affect any of the Packers players, unless you are God, right? I'm not too sure if you are "that" good at reading people's minds, are you?

:)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can't anybody reading this thread realize that the death of the OC's son is NOT being used as the SOLE REASON for the loss. People are saying that the loss more than likely contributed to the Packers' preparedness for the game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can't anybody reading this thread realize that the death of the OC's son is NOT being used as the SOLE REASON for the loss. People are saying that the loss more than likely contributed to the Packers' preparedness for the game.
The timing of this is just too close to think it's anything else.
This was a team that was playing awesome all season long.
And then this death happens.
If Michael Philbin had still been alive, then I seriously believe we would have seen the Packers we have seen all season and they would have beat the Giants.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The timing of this is just too close to think it's anything else.
This was a team that was playing awesome all season long.
And then this death happens.
If Michael Philbin had still been alive, then I seriously believe we would have seen the Packers we have seen all season and they would have beat the Giants.

I don't know about that. The defense was consistantly bad all season, but the offense was clearly playing better early in the season than of late. In Sep and Oct you didn't see receivers dropping passes and the offense struggling to move the ball. As one of the other posters said earlier, the Packers peaked way too early in the season and became less effective as the season went on. Throw in an off game (which all teams have no matter how good they are) on top of this and you end up with a performance like we saw yesterday....

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Uh...I think a loss of an individual is more important than a football game. That is just me. The Packers were obviously not playing like they usually play (and they are not BLAMING Philibin's son).

On the contrary, one poster most certainly did. In fact, he has repeatedly referred to Michael Philbin in some pretty heartless terms.

In the end, you just have to execute during the game, it is a matter of survival in the playoffs. However, you have no evidence to say IT DID NOT affect any of the Packers players.

That's true, and maybe it did, but the burden of proof is on those who are making the claim. Can you prove to me the Packer didn't lose because they lost their momentum due to the bye week? No, you can't. BTW, I'm NOT making that claim either. Merely an example.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Either way, it falls WAY down the list and is being made far too much of an issue. Not sure why, but people simply aren't seeing the forest for the trees here.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
We were just a colossal mess and I'm not sure it had anything to do with Philbin.

With how good Rodgers has been and how many weapons we had on offense there is no reason we shouldn't have been able to score more than 30 points.

An offensive coordinator being there or not being there has nothing to do with our disdain for ball security and catching the ball. This late in the season and at the professional level, the word fundamentals shouldn't even be a topic of conversation. But yet it's been an issue all ******** season.

Our offensive line surprisingly did amazing against the Giants defensive front. So this falls entirely on our receivers and Rodgers.

I'm not even going to bother blaming the defense. At this point I expected them to play like **** and for the most part they did. Although I did see some decent pass rush, our coverage was junior league.

Rust was an issue but more than anything, for a team hosting a home playoff game we played some of the most heartless, gutless, uninspired football I've seen in a while. If you can't get motivated and be mentally ready for the playoffs...I mean really. What the hell are you doing in this league?

The fans that attended that abomination of a football game deserve to be refunded for that joke of a performance.

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Favre would have been able to overcome this....I think of him during the days when he used to always somehow summon up the will for the team to win. I hated the guy for that, he would never just stay down. I know I am going to get flamed for the suggestion, but what if old Favre would have been in there.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I wonder if Favre would have been able to overcome this....I think of him during the days when he used to always somehow summon up the will for the team to win. I hated the guy for that, he would never just stay down. I know I am going to get flamed for the suggestion, but what if old Favre would have been in there.

More interceptions than touchdowns. It's not the QB's fault if the receivers can't hold onto the football. Favre would have also been sacked 5x as much. Rodgers for the most part was single handedly keeping drives alive with his athleticism picking up first downs last night.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
There is a world of difference between a father or older person dying and a young life unexpectedly lost.
That they are professionals doesn't change the fact that unexpected death, especially young death, affects most people in a very different manner. I don't get paid millions like these guys do but it doesn't make one darned bit of difference psychologically.
Sure it mattered. Was it the reason? No. But it mattered. This was a calamity on many levels. I think it all contributed.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Favre was the QB, the Packers would have lost by more. Rodgers picked up 5 (or more) first downs using his feet. Favre couldn't move. Favre would have started chucking up interceptions as soon as the Packers went down by 10.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OC didn't turn the ball over 3 times, the OC wasn't dropping passes, the OC wasn't running poor routes and not getting open....face it, the offense just picked the wrong time of the year to come out and lay an egg...

yet all of that reflects on him and his ability to prepare them. 1 mistake, yeah watever. A ton of mistakes? Im looking at the coaching staff.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Favre who???? History, dude.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You want to know why the Packers lost? It's simple.

The defense played like they did all year.

And the offense didn't.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You want to know why the Packers lost? It's simple.

The defense played like they did all year.

And the offense didn't.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Your right.
But why didn't the offense play better?
Probably because the death of Michael Philbin really got into their heads.
Somehow that demoralized them instead of inspiring them.
And Michael Philbin's presence at Lambeau didn't help either.
McCarthy should have told him to stay at home.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Should have played Aaron IMO vs. the Lions. If for just a half. Sitting this long is a bad idea for a team who relies so heavily on their QB and passing game to have success.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
But that Packer team was older and maybe had more life experience. With the exception of a few players, the Packers are very young. Rodgers is 28 years old. The same thing happened to the Colts 7 years ago. You wouldn't think something like this affects players but it does. But bear in mind, the year after that tragedy...the Colts won the Super Bowl. Maybe the Packers follow the same path. You can even see it in Rodgers' post game interview...the somberness (is that a word?).

Yes my worst nightmare happened the last few weeks. The Packers became the 2005 Colts. Between the flawless passing game/resting the QB at the end of the year, starting 13-0 before losing and a death it just looked so eerily similar but I tried to deny it.

All that was missing in yesterday's game was a shoe string tackle by Eli.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Your right.
But why didn't the offense play better?
Probably because the death of Michael Philbin really got into their heads.
Somehow that demoralized them instead of inspiring them.
And Michael Philbin's presence at Lambeau didn't help either.
McCarthy should have told him to stay at home.
Some days chicken salad. Some days chicken crap. Sunday was a chicken crap day for the offense. And the defense, well they played like they did all year. To sit here and try to analyze it you are just wasting your time. Believe me I have been down that road. Why did MN have so many turnovers against the Saints? You will drive yourself nuts if you keep thinking about it. Just move on and cheer for the Niners to take them out.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Some days chicken salad. Some days chicken crap. Sunday was a chicken crap day for the offense. And the defense, well they played like they did all year. To sit here and try to analyze it you are just wasting your time. Believe me I have been down that road. Why did MN have so many turnovers against the
Saints? You will drive yourself nuts if you keep thinking about it. Just move on and cheer for the Niners to take them out.

The ball was oiled?

12 men in the huddle?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Didn't he Pack get hit with 12 in the huddle yesterday? Or was that someone else? Nope, it was the SAINTS!

Niners got hit with it.
When I heard it I almost fell off my chair. I was like "thats it just hand the Saints their rings now!!!!." Oh Thank God the Niners won.

With the Pack losing this has to kill the Saints. Less then 2 minutes from hosting the title game where nobody beats them and then playing the big one indoors.

12 men in the freaking huddle. I could not believe it during that NFCCG.......I was all ready for the Peyton/Favre showdown.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Niners got hit with it.
When I heard it I almost fell off my chair. I was like "thats it just hand the Saints their rings now!!!!." Oh Thank God the Niners won.

With the Pack losing this has to kill the Saints. Less then 2 minutes from hosting the title game where nobody beats them and then playing the big one indoors.

12 men in the freaking huddle. I could not believe it during that NFCCG.......I was all ready for the Peyton/Favre showdown.
You are right, it was the niners. Read the play by play wrong. Now the real question, do the Ravens take down the Pats? Another elite offense taken out by a good defensive team. Ravens/Niners SB?