If no one else will say it I will

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While NYG beat us fair and square this loss falls on the offense. And I have to wonder how much missing our coordinator played in them looking so unprepared....

Not faulting him for leaving the team, just pondering what might have been if he had been with the team this past week.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st of all, I blame both O and D for this loss.
Both parts of the Packers looked bad out there and let's face it. The Giants simply outplayed them.

2nd, you raise a good point.
It seems like from hearing Mike that they were adapting and making changes without Philbin being there.
Mike should have had him sit out.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This wasn't Philbin's fault. Not sure why you guys want to blame him and his situation for this. There isn't a single thing Philbin could have done this past week to make them hold on to the ball today. Drops and fumbles. That was the difference in the game.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that drops, fumbles, and bad throws killed us however had Philbin been here all week maybe could have opened the door for more chances at big plays and a better understanding of what was being done on offense. Still not going to even think about blaming Philbin.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st of all, I blame both O and D for this loss.
Both parts of the Packers looked bad out there and let's face it. The Giants simply outplayed them.

2nd, you raise a good point.
It seems like from hearing Mike that they were adapting and making changes without Philbin being there.
Mike should have had him sit out.

It was a combined (HORRIBLE) effort. The defense was giving up 3rd-and-long conversions way too often. Look at the first possession of the game. Packers defense forces a 3rd-and-11 and promptly give up a 22 yard completion. Then Rodgers misses a wide open Greg Jennings and settles for a FG.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While NYG beat us fair and square this loss falls on the offense. And I have to wonder how much missing our coordinator played in them looking so unprepared....

Not faulting him for leaving the team, just pondering what might have been if he had been with the team this past week.

I have to agree with you too. It would be foolish to think that the death of the OC's son didn't have a negative effect on this team. You could see they weren't "in the game". It had to have been a tough week of prepartion.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Geez I still can't believe we got beat THAT badly, at home. The score was 37-20 but wasn't even that close.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This wasn't Philbin's fault. Not sure why you guys want to blame him and his situation for this. There isn't a single thing Philbin could have done this past week to make them hold on to the ball today. Drops and fumbles. That was the difference in the game.
It's not that we're blaming Philbin.
We are blaming the situation.
If there hadn't been a death then maybe the Packers heads would have been in the game instead.
I think the death woke them up to reality and took the wind out of their sails.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I disagree. It didn't distract the team when Big Irv died. It didn't distract the Raiders when Al Davis died. If anything, it should have inspired them to win all the more.

Reaction score
I disagree. It didn't distract the team when Big Irv died. It didn't distract the Raiders when Al Davis died. If anything, it should have inspired them to win all the more.
When your star QB states he has never been to a funeral ever in his life and then has to go to one two days before a huge playoff game...mentally that will take its toll. They are human. It happened to the Colts in 2005 as well with Dungy's son committing suicide. A young life snuffed out. SMH.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When your star QB states he has never been to a funeral ever in his life and then has to go to one two days before a huge playoff game...mentally that will take its toll. They are human. It happened to the Colts in 2005 as well with Dungy's son committing suicide. A young life snuffed out. SMH.

So... let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Aaron Rodgers, who is a grown man of 28 years was so traumatized by attending a funeral that it caused his receivers and running backs to not be able to hold on to the ball? Whew... that explains everything then. Glad you cleared that up.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deaths will effect teams and everybody differently.

Da Bears lost the next game after Urlacher's mom died during that week.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Deaths will effect teams and everybody differently.

Da Bears lost the next game after Urlacher's mom died during that week.

Yeah, they lost to the Saints at the Superdome. Must have been because Urlacher's mom passed away.

Reaction score
So... let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Aaron Rodgers, who is a grown man of 28 years was so traumatized by attending a funeral that it caused his receivers and running backs to not be able to hold on to the ball? Whew... that explains everything then. Glad you cleared that up.
Don't be an ***. I am talking about not being mentally into the game. Aaron had some errant throws himself. It's not a coincidence that when a vital part of the Packers offensive scheme is not around for a week of practice, it can translate to shabby play on the field and that's exactly what we witnessed today.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a lame excuse to me. Someone has to be the goat, right? Why not hang it on the dead kid? That's what I'm hearing and it's a pathetic excuse.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that drops, fumbles, and bad throws killed us however had Philbin been here all week maybe could have opened the door for more chances at big plays and a better understanding of what was being done on offense. Still not going to even think about blaming Philbin.
That's true.... Philbin must have been paid all year to DO SOMETHING during the game-prep weeks.
I heard from the JSonline and GBpressgazette guys that his forte was the preparation of the offense and game plan during the week, crunching film of the opposing defenses and developing plays and schemes against it.

He had to do something to be getting paid......

Kid was a problem for years, and now he impacted the team in some way, and us fans in some way. Never can tell how much missing Joe mattered, but the playcalls were not normal in that first half.... Rodgers and Jennings not on the same page early which would have been a TD and 7-3 lead.

Lang missed Osi on the inside move, allowing him in to tap the ball out of Rodgers hand right before he threw it to the wide open Jennings for a TD......

Everything went bad from the gameplan to the execution on all sides.
Not sure if the funeral affected the players mental toughness, sharpness.
Seeing real life death affects people and some more than others.

I edited your post LT

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think to fault the Philbin situation is just making excuses. The entire team looked awful yesterday...they came out flat, and played very tight and tense. They never loosened up and got into the flow of the game.

The only guys that really showed up to play were the offensive line, and Donald Driver. Aside from them I can't think of a single guy that stood out. That two play drive at the end of the half when the Giants were trying to run out the clock made me want to vomit. Two of the most horrid defensive plays I've seen all year, back to back...and that's saying something with this D.

But ultimatley it was the offense that lost this game. We were in it for three quarters...just wating for them to do something to get back into this game, and it never happened. The drops are pretty routine at this point, but the fumbles? Unreal. And they were all in situations where the runner knew he had to protect the ball. I love Rodgers too but his demeanor and body language didn't make me happy. I know he was frustrated by the drops but he didn't play his best game either.

Edgar Bennet...loved the guy as a Packer...we're probably going to want a new WR coach. And maybe someone needs to teach Peprah proper tackling technique. I remember learning itwhen i was like 10...you hit the dummy with your shoulder and wrap with your arms. It amazes me how you see so many NFL players hitting a guy like Peprah did, hoping to god he'll fall down from the hit so he thinks he doesn't need to wrap up.

They just laid an egg yesterday. The Giants came to play and Packers didn't. That simple.

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lang missed Osi on the inside move, allowing him in to tap the ball out of Rodgers hand right before he threw it to the wide open Jennings for a TD......

Incidentally, Lang's dad died 11 days ago.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the tragedy had anything to do with yesterday's loss. You can't have a defense that's so bad the offense has to score 35-40 points every game in order to get the win. Expecting the offense to play like supermen every week is a loss waiting to happen, and you can't expect to win Superbowls with this approach. There's no excuse for the way this defense played this year. They didn't suffer even close to the injuries they had last year, and yet last year they played much better. I don't know if the problem lies with the players, Don Capers, or both, but something needs to be done to fix this joke of a defense, or this team won't make it back to the big dance....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lame excuse to me. Someone has to be the goat, right? Why not hang it on the dead kid? That's what I'm hearing and it's a pathetic excuse.

You do not know their mentality during the week..How close were the players to the coach and the son? did they hang out with the kid? We some really good friends with him?

Aikman mentioned how everyone was very somber and if you ask me, that is how they looked on the field.

Yes they are pros and this shouldnt affect the team...But we do not know how this affected them personally.

If anyone close to you ever passes away suddenly-
you have no right to sulk
cant be depressed
cant make mistakes at work
be chipper and smile all day like you won the lottery

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do not know their mentality during the week..How close were the players to the coach and the son? did they hang out with the kid? We some really good friends with him?

Aikman mentioned how everyone was very somber and if you ask me, that is how they looked on the field.

Yes they are pros and this shouldnt affect the team...But we do not know how this affected them personally.

If anyone close to you ever passes away suddenly-
you have no right to sulk
cant be depressed
cant make mistakes at work
be chipper and smile all day like you won the lottery

I agree with some of the others when they said tragedies like this NORMALLY have the opposite effect on a team. Remember the Packer/Raider game right after Bret Favre's Dad passed away? Bret had the game of his career....I would think the team would've been more likely to rally based on the tragedy rather than have a bad game because of it. Yesterday's loss was because of lousy defense (as usual), and a poor outing by the offense (not typical).

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it is a horrible thing to say, and it may very well be a lazy excuse.

And it may be exactly what happened. You can't just discount this fact after the kind of game the offense played, when the defense had one of it's best games of the season, and just mark it as coincidence. Not when the tempo was off, the concentration was off, the intensity was off.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with some of the others when they said tragedies like this NORMALLY have the opposite effect on a team. Remember the Packer/Raider game right after Bret Favre's Dad passed away? Bret had the game of his career....I would think the team would've been more likely to rally based on the tragedy rather than have a bad game because of it. Yesterday's loss was because of lousy defense (as usual), and a poor outing by the offense (not typical).

So a non typical outing by the offense couldnt be the effect of a non typical tragedy inside their family?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not about how they felt or anything like that, it's about them not being prepared out there.

Offense played the worst game in the season, and our offensive coordinator was gone all week, it's not that hard to connect the two.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not about how they felt or anything like that, it's about them not being prepared out there.

Offense played the worst game in the season, and our offensive coordinator was gone all week, it's not that hard to connect the two.

I am not sure I buy into that theory..They have had how many months preparing for games? I think the emotions were what was more of an issue

Members online

Latest posts