If joe flacco wants $20 mil how much does Rodgers want?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About the same to slightly more. It's not as much about how good you are, it's how good you are and when is your contract up. Manning and Brees got roughly 20 million per year AND they're the wrong side of 30. So other quarterbacks will put 20 million at the starting point and adjust up or down from there.

Rodgers is the better player, but this will be his third contract and Flacco's second. Rodgers' agent should make the argument that he's the best an in his prime and should be the highest paid quarterback.

Flacco's agent will look at 20 million and make the argument that Flacco is ascending AND young and it'll only cost you more later, so pay up now. If the Ravens win the Super Bowl, boom. Blank check.

I could honestly see them having roughly the same contract due to those reasons.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
If the Ravens give Flacco that kind of money, even if they do win the SB, they're idiots. Once Ray Lewis and Ed Reed (likely) are gone, that team dynamic is going to be very different. Then we'll see what Flacco can do as far as carrying the team.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers still has 2 years left on his deal, so they do have some leverage there. I would definitely like to avoid any drama in this one like the Saints had with Brees.

If I'm TT, I'm sitting Rodgers and his agent down and saying, "Let's avoid negotiations and having to ever do this again, and do a 10 year, $200M deal right now. Biggest contract in NFL history and there's not even a close second. Interested?"

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Flacco is nowhere near Brees Manning or Rodgers, he's not even the star of that offense. I'd give Flacco 18 maybe 19 mil, only to be generous.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heck no!! Flacco has never been that good to me. A guy with a talented arm but not in the same convo as Brees, Rodgers, Manning , and Brady. He's a guy you lump with the likes of Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, and Tony Romo maybe. The Ravens should let him go if he doesn't take what they offer because they have proven you can have a great defense and still win it all with a game manager at qb who's not that great. Use that money to lock up Ray Rice and improve that defense... maybe try to work a deal involving Alex Smith or Matt Flynn. That's exactly what i would do.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
No way he gets that kind of money. I think the market for real big contracts is not going to be very hot. How can you invest 1/6 of you cap into one player? It just does not make sense. Players need to understand this. Sure he may get paid, but who the hell is going to be around to protect him? I'm waiting for a player to come out and say, "no, that's to much money." Doubt it will ever happen.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard talks were on going with Rodgers this past season..Or at least initial talks

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
No way he gets that kind of money. I think the market for real big contracts is not going to be very hot. How can you invest 1/6 of you cap into one player? It just does not make sense. Players need to understand this. Sure he may get paid, but who the hell is going to be around to protect him? I'm waiting for a player to come out and say, "no, that's too much money." Doubt it will ever happen.
This.
I think Flacco will get that kind of money. He's insisted for a while that he is elite, and the sports media has decided to support that ridiculous notion. It's teams paying that kind of money for that kind of player that drives contracts through the roof because other players can look at that and go "I'm way better than THAT guy, I deserve more money" Bull**** moron GMs.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This.
I think Flacco will get that kind of money. He's insisted for a while that he is elite, and the sports media has decided to support that ridiculous notion. It's teams paying that kind of money for that kind of player that drives contracts through the roof because other players can look at that and go "I'm way better than THAT guy, I deserve more money" Bull**** moron GMs.

Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
RGIII
Luck
Ryan
Romo
Flacco

IMO these are the top ten qb's in the league in that order and only 3 of those guy's on the list deserve to make 20 mil per year and Flacco aint one.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry, but rodgers IS elite. He is the best player in the NFL, end of story.

Maybe we misunderstood each other. If you are saying Rodgers deserves 20 mil a yr then i agree 100%...if you are saying flacco deserves 20 mil a yr i DISAGREE 100%.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we misunderstood each other. If you are saying Rodgers deserves 20 mil a yr then i agree 100%...if you are saying flacco deserves 20 mil a yr i DISAGREE 100%.

Thats exactly what i am saying. Flacco runs hot and cold, he underperforms way too often to get a paycheck like that.
Come on man, this is the packersforums! :p

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
No way he gets that kind of money. I think the market for real big contracts is not going to be very hot. How can you invest 1/6 of you cap into one player? It just does not make sense. Players need to understand this. Sure he may get paid, but who the hell is going to be around to protect him? I'm waiting for a player to come out and say, "no, that's to much money." Doubt it will ever happen.

Think you better check your math. 16 mil per year is not 1/6th the cap space. I just saw on espn the team cap is 120+ million. Not to mention they have all that money spaced out and calcualted. How do you think the saints and pats paid brees and brady that type of cash then? I also remember vick from packers.com explaining the cap room situation and he said that bonuses don't fall under the cap.....don't know the finer details, but he should know how it works.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think you better check your math. 16 mil per year is not 1/6th the cap space. I just saw on espn the team cap is 120+ million. Not to mention they have all that money spaced out and calcualted. How do you think the saints and pats paid brees and brady that type of cash then? I also remember vick from packers.com explaining the cap room situation and he said that bonuses don't fall under the cap.....don't know the finer details, but he should know how it works.

Yea i was thinking the same thing. Still wouldnt give him 20 mil a year tho no way.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the alternative? Seriously. You can tag him, for probably one year. After that, I bet the tag would be north of $20M. So, you lose him and get... who?

Again, I think many get hung up on paying him what he "deserves". Very few players get paid what they deserve. Very few. He'll get paid what he can command. And I do think it'll be near $20M/yr; maybe high 18's, low 19's. I think that's what he can command. If it's that, I might expect that it will be next season, though, as they may choose to tag him if they can't negotiate for a long-term deal around $16M/yr.

Again, not what he deserves, what he can command.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the alternative? Seriously. You can tag him, for probably one year. After that, I bet the tag would be north of $20M. So, you lose him and get... who?

Again, I think many get hung up on paying him what he "deserves". Very few players get paid what they deserve. Very few. He'll get paid what he can command. And I do think it'll be near $20M/yr; maybe high 18's, low 19's. I think that's what he can command. If it's that, I might expect that it will be next season, though, as they may choose to tag him if they can't negotiate for a long-term deal around $16M/yr.

Again, not what he deserves, what he can command.

I hear ya bro, but if the Ravens give him 20 mil a yr they are crazy!! If i'm Rodgers and that happens i'm asking for 25 mil a yr!! with a straight face to -_-

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If I'm Thompson, I'm hoping I can talk him down to 23 or 24, but would feel entirely comfortable giving him 25 if we can somehow spread it out to keep from killing cap and maybe get some of the language on our side.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm Thompson, I'm hoping I can talk him down to 23 or 24, but would feel entirely comfortable giving him 25 if we can somehow spread it out to keep from killing cap and maybe get some of the language on our side.

hopefully it doesn't get ugly like Drew Brees. If he can lead this team to another SB title before then?? i wouldn't even try to talk him down if he ask for 25 million a yr.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts