If James Jones Productivity Dwindles, Do We Start To Entertain Trade Offers?

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This WR core is ridiculously stacked. Is there still a place for JJ if Cobb continues to impress?

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marques Colston just broke his collarbone. That is NOT a 4 week injury.

JASIII

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a lack of productivity on his part, he just didn't get the opportunities in the Saints game. Every WR on this team is going to have stretches with low catches. Only 1 game so far, too early to start talking productivity.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not a lack of productivity, but he just wasn't needed in the Saints game; a game that I would rank in the top 3 most difficult games we face this year in the reg season. In subsequent games, I hope Aaron doesn't start feeding him the ball just for the sake of feeding him the ball.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers didn't resign him to trade him away. He's not going anywhere.

Well that's obvious, but TT didn't resign him to catch one ball/game. I'm not saying trade him based on this one game whatsoever, but this one game brings interesting situations that may unfold if this continues to happen. Couple that with WR's going down on other teams, and I don't think it's too farfetched.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Well that's obvious, but TT didn't resign him to catch one ball/game. I'm not saying trade him based on this one game whatsoever, but this one game brings interesting situations that may unfold if this continues to happen. Couple that with WR's going down on other teams, and I don't think it's too farfetched.

I think the one throw is a nonissue, another piece of hype to bring rumors to the team. I don't think J. Jones is going anywhere and he shouldn't. The Packers have great depth for a reason, could you imagine if we trade Jones then Driver gets injured and Cobb keeps running the wrong routes? We should keep Jones.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the one throw is a nonissue, another piece of hype to bring rumors to the team. I don't think J. Jones is going anywhere and he shouldn't. The Packers have great depth for a reason, could you imagine if we trade Jones then Driver gets injured and Cobb keeps running the wrong routes? We should keep Jones.

Actually, I was thinking this too but didn't really know how to elaborate on it. I think if we keep Jones, it's for security reasons b/c he knows the system, especially with the rook playing catchup.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
We are loaded with talent on the receiving corps, and I'm pretty sure he will have some break out games along with all the other stars that catch the ball from Rodgers. This was just the first game of the season.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kept an eye on him the whole game and told they guy next to me that he had to be getting frustrated as Aaron never even game him a look. When he was standing on the sidelines, he had his arms folded and seemed a bit pissed off. One quick screen on third and long late in the game was all he got. I think if he were to become a distraction in the locker room, he will be traded as we have West and Gurley on the practice squad just waiting for a chance to get called up to the "show."

Remember you have to have a player under contract to trade him. In order to trade him, they had to resign him...

Reaction score
So Cobb catches 2 balls and we already write off a receiver that has caught over a hundred for us? When you have this many weapons on a team, it will become very hard to have any 1 player get over a 1000 yards on the season. If someone on our team has a big game, that means that someone will have a bad or unproductive game. Does anyone else recall when in Week 1 of the Eagles game, A.J. Hawk did not even play one time. Now? He's a productive and pretty decent linebacker that just came off winning the Super bowl.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isnt getting traded. Teams could have had him a couple months ago for no draft pick.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a long season. Only the strong survive. Jones will catch many balls for us. He won't drop as many as in the past. No we don't want to trade him.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The AJ Hawk situation and this one may not be the same. Hawk was forced into the role, don't forget, by injuries to Chillar and Barnett. He had to start. There was no question about it.

Anyone remember how Jennings didn't get many looks in the beginning of the season last year? Finley was getting em' all. Can you guys tell me, for certain, that Jennings would have had that amazing year if Finley played the whole season? I'm not saying Jennings would've been cut because that's ludicrous, but we just added a very promising WR in Cobb and Jones is a hell of a lot lower on the depth chart than jennings.

I made this thread only to start discussion. IMHO, I don't want to trade JJ's and I hope he gets more looks in the upcoming games. He is, to me, our 2nd best deep ball threat behind only Jennings.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I made this thread only to start discussion. IMHO, I don't want to trade JJ's and I hope he gets more looks in the upcoming games. He is, to me, our 2nd best deep ball threat behind only Jennings.

Whenever he gets opportunities in games I hope it's when we don't have a whole lot on the line. He's a deep threat receiver but the guy needs to get down the fundamentals of catching the ball. The ironic thing is that Jones seemed to make all the impossible highlight reel catched, but the ones that were fed on a line right to him he always dropped.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we trade him? We don't have any weaknesses so what player/position would we trade him for?

Think about this: our only weakness for a starting position could be considered the OLB spot opposite Matthews. And remember the 2009 Draft when we took Matthews late in the 1st round? Well many Packer draftnicks like me, were salivating over taking Everette Brown out of Florida State that year... a beast of a pass-rusher.

Well guess what? He was released this camp by Carolina. Haha!
And this week New England brought him in.

Another OLB beast, taken even higher, Aaron Maybin by the Bills..... he was released this camp.
Same with Vernon Gholston.
Those were 3 "can't miss" pass-rushing beasts who.... missed.

Thank God for Clay! The Bloodline.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me get this straight. After 1 game, there are "experts" on this board advocating trading JJ to whomever because he might be a distraction because he did not get as many targets in the game as other receivers. They then advocate bringing up a player from the practice squad who had a few good plays in the preseason. Wouldn't any team interested in a trade save the cost and just sign someone off the PS? That's what TT did last year after Grant went out. I see PS players advancing to the roster only as injury replacements or insurance this year. They have a better shot at a roster job with other teams.

Reaction score
Jones was signed not just for this season but in the next couple of seasons when DD hangs it up. There is going to come a time when we will need him during this season. He just has to stay ready. I am sure Finley wanted more than 4 catches as well. Guys gotta learn that this is about the team, not just one individual.

Members online

Latest posts