If I were GM...

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Agency top 5 to do list:
1. Hope and pray Brett returns.
2. Sign LeCharles Benelty, pro-bowl center from NO
3. Sign either Will Witherspoon or Julian Peterson, preferably Witherspoon because of the age and injury problems of Peterson.
4. Try to resign Grady Jackson but not for what he is currently asking, if you can't do it fine, sign Rocky from seattle.
5. resign Ahman Green(insurance)

5 draft picks:
Round 1-Mario Williams DE NC State, I was riding the Hawk bus for the longest time but with the LB depth in this draft I can't see passing up this monster of a man. There's not much more to say about this guy other than WOW.
Round 2-Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin, even with his disappointing 40 time he is till a top 5 or 6 running back. Plus, Wisconsin runs a zone blocking scheme and now so do the packers. His versatility, agility and vision are amazing. he should be great at hiding behind those lineman and picking holes, he was at Wisconsin.
Round 3-Greg Blue SS Georgia, big and knows how to lay the wood. very fast with good recovery speed and quick feet.
Round 4-Mark Seterstrom OG Minn., nothing real outstanding but a good solid foobal player.
Round 5-Brandon Williams or Jeremy Bloom WR/KR, can't decide both are great and would be improvments, Chatman has got to go, he just doesn't know which way is forward.

Any thoughts??

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is hard to run forward as a returner when you have several opponents on you every time. Chatman is not special, but the blocking and coverage on those ST units was awful.

I like Williams' RAC ability, and he is a proven return guy.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
magic_8ball said:
3. Sign either Will Witherspoon or Julian Peterson, preferably Witherspoon because of the age and injury problems of Peterson.
4. Try to resign Grady Jackson but not for what he is currently asking, if you can't do it fine, sign Rocky from seattle.

Any thoughts??

im not on the julian peterson band wagon, but people keep saying that he is old and he is not. he is only 27. he played almost everygame last year only missed 2 in the beginning of the season and did very well. he was injured in 2004

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is going to have to add some LB's in there, especially with this year's draft depth at that position. Look for some trading for more picks, and maybe even some wheelin' n' dealin' of players. This may end up being one of those, "I told you so type drafts," with greater need coming in later rounds with more picks, covering more area, since the needs are so great. Whatever happens, I look for and expect a hellava lot more than just five (5) picks out of TT.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
I don't see us signing bentley, really

i agree. I don't see us getting any 'big ticket' free agents--I know TT's philosophy and tend to agree with it. No 'joe johnson' types who will flop and leave us out of a whole lot of money, yet we should budget ourselves.

If, however, Favre packs it in, we could be after Drew Brees (and still save money comparing his cap number against Brett's)

Let some team who is in need of that "one piece" for a solid, complete team give LeCharles Bentley a big payday, same with Julian Peterson. We have a lot of needs, and we can fill a lot of those needs if we spend carefully.

C-Justin Hartwig, Tennessee...A solid center with what, 8 years experience, and he's one of 4 or 5 solid centers out there behind Bently...Jeff Mitchell, Andy McCollum, Melvin Fowler--Flanagan was too brittle and too inconsistent last year to rely on him to center a subpar offensive line

other positions
RB-Maurice Morris, Seattle...I'll keep hyping this guy up. Him and Gado could be a pretty solid tandem at running back

WR-Joe Jurevicius, Seattle...So it's big WR's that Mike McCarthy wants? Bring in this former Nittany Lion and we'll see what Favre says--maybe we can let Rod Gardner walk if we bring joe in.

i'm sure there are others, those two are my favorites for the offensive side of the ball

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you on Morris javon, he hasn't gotten that many carries, but he seems to be a solid back, nothing spectacular, but very solid.

Also I don't see us drafting a RB in this draft, at least not in the early rounds, therefore Morris would be a good option in the FA. I am sure TT will bring him in if he thinks it would be good, he knows the player.

Gado, Morris and Herron, not too bad of a backfield, young guns with pretty bright futures, at least so it seems.

I am against giving Green another chance, he is injury prone and he has shown signs of slowing down, also he wants big money, and he isn't worth it. Good RBs are not a rare commodity, and you don't pay a player on decline big money, especially not if he's a RB.

Davenport has never been able to play a whole season and could never be a starter, he's just too injury prone, and that has much to do with his playing style and bodybuild.

Fisher, I see why we could resign him, he has been a reliable receiver out of the backfield, and a pretty decent 3rd string, but he was given the chance to shine as a starter, but he showed that he wasn't up to the challenge.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
I am against giving Green another chance, he is injury prone and he has shown signs of slowing down, also he wants big money, and he isn't worth it. Good RBs are not a rare commodity, and you don't pay a player on decline big money, especially not if he's a RB.

Davenport has never been able to play a whole season and could never be a starter, he's just too injury prone, and that has much to do with his playing style and bodybuild.

Fisher, I see why we could resign him, he has been a reliable receiver out of the backfield, and a pretty decent 3rd string, but he was given the chance to shine as a starter, but he showed that he wasn't up to the challenge.

One of my good friends has a philosophy, and I have started to buy into it...after watching so many running backs for so many teams pick up 1,000 yard seasons--Running back is the least important position to direct your resources to, as long as you have a team around him. Have an offensive line which sets up your run game and your pass game...have a passing game that will keep teams from jamming men in the box to stuff your run game.

I'm not saying any joe off the street can play running back...but there is a deep talent pool of guys who have the vision, acceleration, and strength to be an NFL running back--when this board was plagued with"Reggie Bush Mania" I listed a bunch of successful running backs who came from outside the first round.

Tony Fisher should be brought back--every sport I follow, there are guys like this. He's not great, but he is good at a lot of things. He's good for an occasional carry, can catch, screen passes, block, 3rd down back, special teams...he's been on the team five years or so now, he won't cost us much, I think he's definitely worht it.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
magic_8ball said:

5 draft picks:
Round 1-Mario Williams DE NC State, I was riding the Hawk bus for the longest time but with the LB depth in this draft I can't see passing up this monster of a man. There's not much more to say about this guy other than WOW.
Round 2-Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin, even with his disappointing 40 time he is till a top 5 or 6 running back. Plus, Wisconsin runs a zone blocking scheme and now so do the packers. His versatility, agility and vision are amazing. he should be great at hiding behind those lineman and picking holes, he was at Wisconsin.
Round 3-Greg Blue SS Georgia, big and knows how to lay the wood. very fast with good recovery speed and quick feet.
Round 4-Mark Seterstrom OG Minn., nothing real outstanding but a good solid foobal player.
Round 5-Brandon Williams or Jeremy Bloom WR/KR, can't decide both are great and would be improvments, Chatman has got to go, he just doesn't know which way is forward.

Any thoughts??

I agree Mario on the 1st round. Good chance you can get a very good linebacker on the 2nd round. Calhoun or Seterstrom would be good pickups on the 3rd round.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that RBs the easiest quality to get, and they probably have the shortest shelf life. Jurivicious(sp?) would be a great pickup. He's definitely got the size and hands. I don't know if Bently is the C we should get but IMO we definitely need new but experienced blood there. Flanagan is pretty much done. Wells can back up.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
GakkofNorway said:

One of my good friends has a philosophy, and I have started to buy into it...after watching so many running backs for so many teams pick up 1,000 yard seasons--Running back is the least important position to direct your resources to, as long as you have a team around him. Have an offensive line which sets up your run game and your pass game...have a passing game that will keep teams from jamming men in the box to stuff your run game.

I'm not saying any joe off the street can play running back...but there is a deep talent pool of guys who have the vision, acceleration, and strength to be an NFL running back--when this board was plagued with"Reggie Bush Mania" I listed a bunch of successful running backs who came from outside the first round.

Tony Fisher should be brought back--every sport I follow, there are guys like this. He's not great, but he is good at a lot of things. He's good for an occasional carry, can catch, screen passes, block, 3rd down back, special teams...he's been on the team five years or so now, he won't cost us much, I think he's definitely worht it.

I completely agree about RB, just look at Samkon Gado. Nothing fancy, just gets the job done and that is what we need. Of course it would be nice with a LT who could jump around and do tricks and score 5 TD a game, but another RB will get the job done as well but probably not dominate as much.

Members online

Latest posts