If Brett does Retire... Our QB Options

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok,

Let us all just pretend for a moment that Brett does ride off in to the sunset on his tractor to cut grass and kill beaver that are using the swim move to get past the offensive line he has set up to protect his pond.

We all must wish him well, and set the date in our calendar to be at the HOF inductee ceremonies in 2011. This is a good thing for Brett and his family if he is truly happy. He has earned the right to have every Packer fans accept his decision and wish him well.

However, this leaves the Packers with a dilemma…..

Young Aaron, and Nall. My gut tells me Nall (A UFA) is going, going, gone… A fresh start on a team that he will start is in the best interest of him and his agent.

So… If Nall does leave, the next option is picking up an Un-Restricted Free Agent Vet who can step in and get some wins if what ever young QB on the roster should falter?

Our UFA QB Options….

Anthony Wright – Ravens – 7 years to prove himself and has a career 66.6 Passer rating.. 666 - The Anti Christ. No wonder that Notre Dame did not want him.

Charlie Batch – Steelers – Solid bet – He did the job when Big Ben went down.

Chris Weinke – Panthers - No. No. No.

Damon Huard – Chiefs – Nope. Threw one pass in the last five years, and it was incomplete.

Doug Flutie – Patriots – Perhaps, you got to love his heart, and his heart is worth 5 wins and a one point kick from formation.

Drew Brees – Chargers – Un-touchable… They will tag him.

Jamie Martin – Rams – Nope. Does not have enough playing time.

Jeff Blake – Bears – Maybe.

Jeff Garcia – Lions - The best bet - Jeff can play in the cold and he has done it (Win) before.

Jessie Palmer – 49rs – Who the hell is he?

Jon Kitna – Bengals – Possible – Started 79 games so he is experienced… Life time Passer Rating of 75.3… Better than Brett’s 70.9 rating last year.

Josh McCowen – Cardinals – Possible -

Kurt Warner – Cardinals – Never! His wife would ruin all Packer wife fund-raisers.

Sage Rosenfels – Dolphins – No thanks. 5 year vet two starts.

Shane Matthews – Bills – Nope, There are better options on this list.

Shaun Hill – Vikings – NO. 5 years never threw a pass.

Tim Hasslebeck – Giants – Don’t think so.

Todd Collins – Chiefs – Possible, 11 year vet and has had some good numbers when he had a chance.

Ty Detmer – Falcons – Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Vinny Testaverde – Jets - Never! Might as well sign Burt Reynolds.

So….

If we must pick up a UFA QB to have on the Roster…

1. Jeff Garcia
2. Charlie Batch
3. Jon Kitna
4. Doug Flutie
5. Josh McCowen

Your thoughts?

RP

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crazy idea....how about we take Doug Flutie, sign him to a contract, and have him be our QB and our Kicker! He is already 100% on his accuracy for extra points.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brett isn't around, I wouldn't mind seeing Josh McCowen given a chance. I don't know how well that would work with Rogers in the fold though.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take Schaub and no one else. Then draft a rookie quarterback in the later rounds.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if brett doesnt come back, im just gonna go on a drinking binge and wake up in 2009 when a-rod is hopefully good.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea iw as pissed the packers didnt draft him with one of there 3 3rd round picks that year, because im a uva fan and i met shaub form tailgating. if brett does go that would be a good choice i believe because this kid is good, and should be starting right now

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe after laughing at the lions all this time you think your two best options are Lions rejects. Jeff Garcia is over the hill. He can't stay healthy and has almost no arm left. He showed that with detroit and with cleveland. Charlie Batch? That guy is a career back up who you only want to see play if your qb is hurt. Batch has no business starting for ANY team in the NFL. Man, as much as you guys ridicule the lions I would have thought you would have watched at least a few of the games.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
I can't believe after laughing at the lions all this time you think your two best options are Lions rejects. Jeff Garcia is over the hill. He can't stay healthy and has almost no arm left. He showed that with detroit and with cleveland. Charlie Batch? That guy is a career back up who you only want to see play if your qb is hurt. Batch has no business starting for ANY team in the NFL. Man, as much as you guys ridicule the lions I would have thought you would have watched at least a few of the games.

You can bet that the minute that either one puts on a Packer uniform he will suddenly become the next Johnny Unitas.
Anyone who does not play for the Packers sucks until they become a Packer. All Packer players are great until they leave Green Bay, and then they are washed up or sucked in the first place.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
another post bashing packers fans. this is, what..post #1175 of that? cmon phil.

I don't get it. I said that they would be great as Packers and when a player leaves he sucks for another team. That's a compliment Trom. You guys have convinced me. Just putting on the green and gold elevates you to a whole new level as a player. Look at what it did for Reggie White. He had no career at all in Philadelphia.
Former Bear Jim Flanigan was an over rated stiff until he went to Green Bay remember?
Same goes for Darren Sharper. Look at how crappy he played for the Vikings. That guy sucks...... now that he is no longer a Packer. Wait till Green is carrying the ball for another team. He will become the worst RB in Packer history.
The Seahawks are just lucky to be in the payoffs at all with that turd Mike Holmgren in charge right?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Philtration said:
You can bet that the minute that either one puts on a Packer uniform he will suddenly become the next Johnny Unitas.
Anyone who does not play for the Packers sucks until they become a Packer. All Packer players are great until they leave Green Bay, and then they are washed up or sucked in the first place.

Whats wrong with that? :p

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is wisdom in what Lion Fan says. I was surprised to see Garcia and Batch on RP's list at all, let alone at #'s 1 and 2. Of the players RP has listed, Jon Kitna is clearly the best choice, in my opinion. He has played very well in this league, and is now a backup only because he is on a team with one of the best QB's in the league.

After Kitna there's a huge dropoff to Josh McCown and Anthony Wright, and honestly, none of the others appeal to me at all, with the possible exception of Todd Collins--I haven't seen that guy play in years, so I can't say that I KNOW he sucks.

Clearly it will be an open competition for the starting spot, and it will be Aaron Rodgers' job to lose.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe the Jets would be willing to deal Pennington to the Pack???

But it's probably too high a price tag...plus he's coming back from another rotator cuff injury...

I wouldn't have minded seeing Penington as the successor to Favre...

ahhh well...

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pennington?? icky I would rather see GB make a trade for Schaub heck GB has had success with former back-ups from Atlanta in the past:)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Schaub...???

Schaub who??

What the **** has he ever done?

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Schaub (spelling) Back up for Michael Vick. Gee Pack you must have said the same thing when GB Traded for Favre.

Favre Favre who what the **** has he ever done.

But oh how the times change right. Now you are all for Favre leaving the Pack to play for another team. Was dying for TT to fire Sherman. Now with the way things are going you seem resigned to the Pack not doing any better than 6-10. Sorry man you confuse me

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2004 ATL 6 33 70 47.1 330 4.7 1 59 4 42.0
2005 ATL 16 33 64 51.6 495 7.7 4 53 0 98.1
Career 22 66 134 49.3 825 6.2 5 59 4 68.8
Matt Schaub

Brett Favre

YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
1991 ATL 2 0 5 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 2 0.0
1992 GNB 15 302 471 64.1 3227 6.9 18 76 13 85.3

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well lets hope that he does come back but if he doesnt i say we see if we can get kitna for a reasonable price or start rodgers

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well lets hope that he does come back but if he doesnt i say we see if we can get kitna for a reasonable price or start rodgers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts