Idiots

Reaction score
LORD FAVRE BEING URGED TO RETURN?

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that Packers coach Mike McCarthy is trying to persuade quarterback Brett Favre to come back for one more year.

"I know what's being said out there and written about it but I'm telling you after watching him first hand that he's part of the solution, not part of the problem," McCarthy said. "I'd love to have him for one more year."

But McCarthy concedes that he has spoken with G.M. Ted Thompson regarding the importance of Favre making a decision soon after the 2005 season ends.

Our guess? McCarthy knows that asking for a quick decision is likely to force Favre to opt against a return. So McCarthy can say whatever he wants about wanting Favre back -- our guess is that McCarthy wants to get on with the post-Favre era, and that he hopes that asking Favre to make up his mind quickly will be enough to get him to pack it in.

I love this quote, but for the love of God, not everything is an attempt to get rid of Favre.

These guys are great at reporting info, and do a good job with witty remarks. But the hypocrisy is amazing.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
LORD FAVRE BEING URGED TO RETURN?

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that Packers coach Mike McCarthy is trying to persuade quarterback Brett Favre to come back for one more year.

"I know what's being said out there and written about it but I'm telling you after watching him first hand that he's part of the solution, not part of the problem," McCarthy said. "I'd love to have him for one more year."

But McCarthy concedes that he has spoken with G.M. Ted Thompson regarding the importance of Favre making a decision soon after the 2005 season ends.

Our guess? McCarthy knows that asking for a quick decision is likely to force Favre to opt against a return. So McCarthy can say whatever he wants about wanting Favre back -- our guess is that McCarthy wants to get on with the post-Favre era, and that he hopes that asking Favre to make up his mind quickly will be enough to get him to pack it in.

I love this quote, but for the love of God, not everything is an attempt to get rid of Favre.

These guys are great at reporting info, and do a good job with witty remarks. But the hypocrisy is amazing.

I do find it hilarious that these guys took down the "favre int" counter. Of course not throwing an int in 4 out of the last 5 games will do that baahahahhaa.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just got to realize when reading the site that the guys running it grew up Vikings fans, so there is obviously a big jealousy factor when it comes to the Packers/Brett Favre, so just ignore it. They want Favre to retire because he has killed the Vikings throughout his career.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesnt favre have his own office at the facility? I think i heard that on the broadcast. thats...awesome.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Doesnt favre have his own office at the facility? I think i heard that on the broadcast. thats...awesome.

It's the packers way of isolating him, and getting him to retire. :roll:

But is that true? Would be cool if it is.

Also, Super I never knew those guys grew up Viking fans.....

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah I read that in an article today. Not sure which one and it's not important enough for me to go look for it, but he definitely has his own office at the complex.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i heard the same thing, trom. said he's hanging around alot more this season - even if it is his final go around - i'm glad he's able to do it with class, dignity, & style. :thumbsup:

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's face it. Brett Favre has meant as much to Packer football as Vince Lombardi. Yeah, yeah I know some will say I'm an idiot or scold me for that statement, but I truly believe that....Holmgren and Wolfe or not in the 90s this team doesn't win a SB and go to another one w/o Brett Favre.

mikegrubiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's the packers way of isolating him, and getting him to retire. :roll:

But is that true? Would be cool if it is.

Also, Super I never knew those guys grew up Viking fans.....

You're not saying it's cool that the Packer organization is "isolating Favre to get him to retire", are you?

:stop: :shock:

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's face it. Brett Favre has meant as much to Packer football as Vince Lombardi. Yeah, yeah I know some will say I'm an idiot or scold me for that statement, but I truly believe that....Holmgren and Wolfe or not in the 90s this team doesn't win a SB and go to another one w/o Brett Favre.

Definetly true in terms of merchandise, I've seen a lot more #4 jersey's than Lombardi merchandise.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the line prgressing the way it is I think MM is truly hoping Brett comes back cause the way we're improving I thing the whole organization sees us having a shot if Brett comes back. The fact anyone wants Brett gone is just gossip and nothing more. Media has been known to gossip you know?

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the guys that do PFT are incredibly hypercritical. They are also funny **********. They also eat a steady diet of crow and humble pie. With that in mind, they are funny too.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Typo??

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How the hell do they get that out of MM's quote? Talk about reading into something that's not there.

PFT might just be the worst site in the history of the internet.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So the Packers would have had Pee-Wee Herman at QB?

Sometimes the adoration of Favre goes to levels that is tragic.
Brett Favre is a Hall of Fame QB. But the Packers have other Hall of Fame QB's. A QB is a player IN A SYSTEM DESIGNED BY COACHES AND MANAGEMENT. He is among a long line of quality players this franchise has produced. It's unlikely he will match the championship total of Bart Starr, but he has surpassed him statistically.

To say Brett Favre is on the same level as Vince Lombardi is insulting to both men, in different ways.

Vince Lombardi did what it took Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren to do: turnaround a moribund franchise. He is considered among the greatest coaches of all time, any sport.

Without Ron Wolf putting Brett Favre under Mike Holmgren's schooling, he would likely have been an average QB in Atlanta. He didn't have the coaching to bring about his best, and his love for alcohol at that time might have put him on the rocks before his career got started.

Mike Holmgren soured the fans here when he left, but his contribution can never be underestimated.
Here's another eye opener: without Ron Wolf signing Reggie White, Brett Favre wouldn't have been able to do what he did.

If you had to ask me if I had to choose one player who led to Green Bay's turnaround it would be Reggie White, not Brett Favre. White made Green Bay a place to be respected. Without White anchoring Fritz Shurmer's defense and making Green Bay 'the place to be' Brett Favre would be like Payton Manning: a productive QB who has never won anything.

This is not to diss Brett Favre's accomplishments. He will retire as the statistical leader of the Packers with one Super Bowl victory and one loss. But it puts a burr under my saddle when you start deifying him, a perspective which disses the accomplishments of some other gifted individuals.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
How the hell do they get that out of MM's quote? Talk about reading into something that's not there.

PFT might just be the worst site in the history of the internet.

Actually, it might be one of the best. Florio provides a perspective so lacking in most fandom: that the NFL can be a mean giant, and that all the heroes adored by the fans are just people with a certain talent.

Florio likes to tweak Favre, as he does all the games superstars.

You can learn quite a bit there about how the system actually works, which is..."how much money can we get from the fans today?"

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On cnnsi.com, Don Banks only comment about Favre yesterday was that he is younger than Brad Johnson. No comment on the great game he had. These are his weekly "observations" about Sunday's action.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I truly believe MM wants Brett to stay one more year if not two,,he is the solution to this team, he is proving this year that he can protect the ball..last year IMO he wanted to make somethings happen, they were always way behind in scoring points he wanted to jump start the team..this year I think he knows he has some good players to work with and that they can win...

I do agree with MM that Brett should decide if hes coming back sooner then last year that wait was a killer...but I still believe he should have "sometime" to decide, but not drag it out..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Cory said:
If you had to ask me if I had to choose one player who led to Green Bay's turnaround it would be Reggie White, not Brett Favre. White made Green Bay a place to be respected. Without White anchoring Fritz Shurmer's defense and making Green Bay 'the place to be' Brett Favre would be like Payton Manning: a productive QB who has never won anything.

Kind of a chicken and the egg situation here... without Favre I dont think that Reggie ever comes here... or at least the was Reggie's message when signing on as a free agent.

mikegrubiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I truly believe MM wants Brett to stay one more year if not two,,he is the solution to this team, he is proving this year that he can protect the ball..last year IMO he wanted to make somethings happen, they were always way behind in scoring points he wanted to jump start the team..this year I think he knows he has some good players to work with and that they can win...

I do agree with MM that Brett should decide if hes coming back sooner then last year that wait was a killer...but I still believe he should have "sometime" to decide, but not drag it out..

But does TT want Favre to stay? That, in my mind, has never been fully answered or settled.

Net. Why can't there be room enough for the heroes of the past, as well as the heroes of today in the Green Bay Packer football organization?

Favre is no threat to the heroes of the past? Why do you feel threatened by him, or today's Packer fan's adulation of him? :soapbox:

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These guys at PFT are complete morons and dont know anymore about football than any normal fans... That said lets all vow to stop reading their site... The reason they have been successful is becuase we talk about them on message boards. Bad pub is good pub... that said, lets give them NO PUB.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Cory said:

Kind of a chicken and the egg situation here... without Favre I dont think that Reggie ever comes here... or at least the was Reggie's message when signing on as a free agent.

A larger factor to Reggie was the total of 17 million smackeroos. He also was courted by other teams with good QB's but no one dropped that kind of cash. Brett Favre was an odd-on for him.

Members online

Latest posts