"Ice Bowl: What if Starr hadn't scored" by B.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Packer historian of this Packer forum website I felt compelled to post this "Ice Bowl: What if Starr Starr hadn't scored" article Posted Dec. 31, 2005 . This article brought my memory back to the worst winter conditons, I have ever endured during those hours I spent in Lambeau Field watching The Packers beat the Cowboys in the famed Ice Bowl in 1967. My question is what if Lombardi would have called a Field goal and if had been successful , the game would have gone into sudden death Overtime which means the game would be played to somebody scored . Instead Lombardi said to Starr, lets win the game and get the HELL out of here. And Starr ran a successful QB sneak and scored a TD. All Packers Fans were happy about the play called, because of -46 wind chill factor , no Packer fan wanted to sit through a sudden death overtime game. Now lets us go back to 1967 _______________________"Ice Bowl: What if Starr hadn’t scored?"
The Green Bay Packers win the infamous Ice Bowl Dec. 31, 1967, on a quarterback sneak by Bart Starr at Lambeau Field.

The final drive
A look at the Green Bay Packers’ game-winning drive in the Ice Bowl as it appeared in the official play-by-play sheets.

1-10-32GB: 4:50 left, Starr passed to Anderson on right for 6

2-4-38: Mercein at right end for 7, first down

1-10-45: 3:57 left, Starr passed to Dowler in middle for 13, first down

1-10-42D: 3:30 left, Anderson lost 9 (Townes)

2-19-49GB: Starr passed to Anderson on right for 12

3-7-39D: 2:00 left, Starr passed to Anderson for 9

1-10-30: 1:35 left, Starr passed on left to Mercein for 19, first down

1-10-11: 1:11 left, Mercein in middle for 8

2-2-3: :54 left, Anderson on right for 2, first down

1-1-1: :30 left, Anderson for no gain

2-1-1: :20 left, Anderson appeared to slip for no gain

3-1-1: :16 left, Starr kept for TD

Chandler scored extra point

Green Bay 21 Dallas 17 (68 yards in 12 plays)

Vince Lombardi would have come back to coach the Packers in 1968.
The Super Bowl trophy would not have been named after Lombardi, but possibly Tom Landry if Dallas had strung together several championships between Super Bowl II and V.
The Packers' dynasty would have lost a considerable amount of its luster on the national and worldwide stage.

By Brett Christopherson
PackerNews.com

It’s New Year’s Eve, 1967. Sixteen seconds remain in a spirited NFL Champion-ship Game between Vince Lombardi’s Green Bay Packers and Tom Landry’s Dallas Cowboys at frigid Lambeau Field.

The Packers’ 67-yard march has left the ball inches from the goal line. An unprecedented third straight NFL title awaits.

The temperature was a record minus-13 degrees at kickoff with a brutal wind chill of minus-46 degrees. Still, the warm-weather Cowboys braved the elements and the Packers’ mystique to reel off 17 unanswered points for a 17-14 lead.

Bart Starr walks behind center, into the icy shadow cast by the south end zone scoreboard, and slices both arms into the arctic air to quiet a crowd of 50,861 fans. From the press box, WTMJ radio’s Ted Moore handles the call.

“Here are the Packers. Third down, inches to go to pay dirt. 17-14, Cowboys out in front. Packers trying for the go-ahead score.â€

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: "Ice Bowl: What if Starr hadn't scored" b

Lombardi coaches the packers to win. Not just try to. read the lombardi book too. shows you all the discipline thats missing in society these days. people like lombardi are missing these days. that game was 38 years ago today. I was just very young then. too young to watch football back then. but everyone knows this game, no matter how old you are.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts