I wonder (Thread on LBs)

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As I'm going through available linebackers I'm noticing a tend. Linebackers this year seem small for the most part. I'm wondering if Ted is looking at an OLB later in the draft and trying to move him inside. There are a couple names still left projected at OLB, and I thought with their size they should be playing inside, not taking on O-Lineman. Am I the only one thinking this could be a scenario and possible solution here? Interested in your thoughts

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay did a great job; Barrington will see more time this year if not be a starter. If that's the case leave Clay inside and get someone like Gregory and convert him(which I think most GMs/HCs would prefer at his size.) or Harold is the only OLB I would take before the 4th. It's a crowded group afterwards.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 3-4 guys that I like to play inside (weight under 250 pounds) that are listed at OLB, I will definitely agree with you though that aside from Gregory whom I think is a bit too tall (Same reason I didn't like McKinney) to play/waste inside that none of them are worth more than a 4.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like tall LBs. They can tip/pick off the balls thrown inside. Not to mention when you have athletic TEs like Gronk and Graham you're going to need that reach. Let the DEs be undersized and powerful but not the LBs.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As I'm going through available linebackers I'm noticing a tend. Linebackers this year seem small for the most part. I'm wondering if Ted is looking at an OLB later in the draft and trying to move him inside. There are a couple names still left projected at OLB, and I thought with their size they should be playing inside, not taking on O-Lineman. Am I the only one thinking this could be a scenario and possible solution here? Interested in your thoughts
No you're not alone. I've been exploring that and also.
We had notable success moving CM3 inside. I'm not opposed to exloring another OLB if the opportunity presents itself round 2, one that has possibly played Inside.. Or has the skill set and size necessary to adapt if needed

D

Deleted member 6794

There are 3-4 guys that I like to play inside (weight under 250 pounds) that are listed at OLB, I will definitely agree with you though that aside from Gregory whom I think is a bit too tall (Same reason I didn't like McKinney) to play/waste inside that none of them are worth more than a 4.

Gregory is primarily a pass rusher, he's not good enough defending the run to play inside.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, people say that ILBs are generally lesser athletes than the outside guys because they don't need to play in space as much, so if you really do want more athletic ILBs it'd be smart to take them from outside guys in college and convert them than to take one who played ILB in college. Maybe what they're doing behind the scenes with Bradford is going great.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, Einstein I was going to bring up Bradford. The Ms. St. kid is big, but the other top 5 are smaller than I thought most ILB's are. I'm still on the Dawson bandwagon, he's not the popular pick though.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, people say that ILBs are generally lesser athletes than the outside guys because they don't need to play in space as much, so if you really do want more athletic ILBs it'd be smart to take them from outside guys in college and convert them than to take one who played ILB in college. Maybe what they're doing behind the scenes with Bradford is going great.

That's kind of tricky...

4-3 OLBs WILL linebackers are typically the athletes. They have the most coverage responsibilities and it's typically the glory position. In a typical fullback lead play, the MIKE blows up the fullback and WILL cleans up the running back.

3-4 OLBs are usually 4-3 ends that aren't quite big enough to hold up to the abuse of being an every down lineman in the pros and/or have the hips to drop into coverage.

An ideal 3-4 OLB probably doesn't project to 3-4 ILB. Remember, more like a lineman. Their skill set is fast-twitch, dip the shoulder, and rush the passer, not running to sideline to sideline.

Matthews playing well at ILB is more a tribute to his genetics, motor, and instinct. However, even he isn't great at it. He just looks great compared to how poorly Hawk and Jones played laster. Maybe he could clean up if he took snaps there in preseason.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay did a great job; Barrington will see more time this year if not be a starter. If that's the case leave Clay inside and get someone like Gregory and convert him(which I think most GMs/HCs would prefer at his size.) or Harold is the only OLB I would take before the 4th. It's a crowded group afterwards.
Barrington better start, he's the only ILB we have at this point.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CM3 played well because I believe his Dad played both inside and outside during his career. His Dad also had if not a HOF career, close to a HOF career, and having that type of teaching has to account for something. I think I'd rather have Clay outside again though. What happens if we move him in and the pass rush drops off?

Also for those wondering about Dawson he went to Cincy 3rd round on a compensatory pick.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, this crop of ILB's was weak. They were a bunch of 2nd-4th rounders. None of them stood out or popped. So I'm not *that* shocked we didn't take one yet. Still a few rounds to go though, so hey.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we had warm bodies I'd say we could hold off until next year for what looks to be a franchise linebacker, but we don't have warm bodies, cause we didn't draft in previous years when there were better linebackers. We're cornered here by drafting mistakes.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, this crop of ILB's was weak. They were a bunch of 2nd-4th rounders. None of them stood out or popped. So I'm not *that* shocked we didn't take one yet. Still a few rounds to go though, so hey.
You're right. TT has done a good job. I'd like to see TT pick the kid from Michigan, Jake Ryan??? GB will be fine at LB next year. And the first 3 picks could be great STs players. I'm liking the picks so far.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. TT has done a good job. I'd like to see TT pick the kid from Michigan, Jake Ryan??? GB will be fine at LB next year. And the first 3 picks could be great STs players. I'm liking the picks so far.

For those of us wringing our hands over that position, what do you see that we don't? I'd love to be confident, but it's really, really tough.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we sure that the Packers won't play Sean Richardson at ILB next year?

Sean Richardson at ilb??? Hmmm ...I actually like that haha. He's definitely not afraid to hit... He'd have to gain about 15 lbs but that's doable. Put him in on passing downs to!

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we now don't have a 7, I'd like to see us try to get a UDFA at LB. I watch alot of SEC ball, so I know those players a bit more, and I see 3 still not drafted. So here's my question Shackleford, Rasco, or Johnson. Rasco plays outside, but I think could be moved in. Shackleford was put in the shadows by McKinney. Johnson was suspended due to a legal issue. Which one do you think we could/should try to get as a UDFA?

D

Deleted member 6794

Since we now don't have a 7, I'd like to see us try to get a UDFA at LB. I watch alot of SEC ball, so I know those players a bit more, and I see 3 still not drafted. So here's my question Shackleford, Rasco, or Johnson. Rasco plays outside, but I think could be moved in. Shackleford was put in the shadows by McKinney. Johnson was suspended due to a legal issue. Which one do you think we could/should try to get as a UDFA?

I would like the Packers to add Zach Vigil out of Utah State.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Maybe everyone is over-reacting on ILB. Carl Bradford has a year under his belt in the program. I think Joe Thomas could be a good sub-package ILB. Barrington proved he can play. Clay might be playing inside might already be the plan. Maybe they feel they have what is needed already. I am not quite sure but we don't everything that's going on.

If you think about it we had A,j Hawk and Brad Jones last year and were an onside kick away from a Super Bowl. I think the value was more important to replace Williams and House as the drop off has much bigger potential.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of us wringing our hands over that position, what do you see that we don't? I'd love to be confident, but it's really, really tough.
Well I don't think the available ILBs were very good this year. None deserving of a 1st round pick, and most not even a 2nd. So faced with the choice of overreaching, or addressing another level of need with better football players, TT decided to address the secondary and STs. In terms of available talent, Carl Bradford is as good as any of the ILBs available in the draft, we know CMIII can produce from that position, and Barrington has improved his skills and has an attitude. I see Ryan was picked, and he had a good year in 2014 when he moved inside. Not to say I'm not wringing my hands over our ILB situation - I just didn't see how TT could address it any better than he did given the available talent, and that we had an even bigger hole in the secondary and on STs. So not all of the problems on D are fixed, but the secondary should be able to hold serve, STs will be better, and we are still in better shape at ILB with Hawk and Jones gone. I expect Ryan and Bradford will see a lot od snaps, and hopefully be more productive than their predecessors.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts