I wonder (Thread on LBs)

D

Deleted member 6794

Well I don't think the available ILBs were very good this year. None deserving of a 1st round pick, and most not even a 2nd. So faced with the choice of overreaching, or addressing another level of need with better football players, TT decided to address the secondary and STs. In terms of available talent, Carl Bradford is as good as any of the ILBs available in the draft, we know CMIII can produce from that position, and Barrington has improved his skills and has an attitude. I see Ryan was picked, and he had a good year in 2014 when he moved inside. Not to say I'm not wringing my hands over our ILB situation - I just didn't see how TT could address it any better than he did given the available talent, and that we had an even bigger hole in the secondary and on STs. So not all of the problems on D are fixed, but the secondary should be able to hold serve, STs will be better, and we are still in better shape at ILB with Hawk and Jones gone. I expect Ryan and Bradford will see a lot od snaps, and hopefully be more productive than their predecessors.

Jake Ryan is best suited to play SLB and is probably not athletic enough to cover RBs and TEs playing on the weak side. Taking a look at all of the other inside linebackers on the roster Ryan is by far the most athletic one of the group though (aside of Nate Palmer who´s coming back from a season ending injury). After taking a look at all the combine and Pro Day numbers from the other inside backers on the roster I´m even more worried about the position than before.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right. TT has done a good job. I'd like to see TT pick the kid from Michigan, Jake Ryan??? GB will be fine at LB next year. And the first 3 picks could be great STs players. I'm liking the picks so far.
Good call Joe.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jake Ryan is best suited to play SLB and is probably not athletic enough to cover RBs and TEs playing on the weak side. Taking a look at all of the other inside linebackers on the roster Ryan is by far the most athletic one of the group though (aside of Nate Palmer who´s coming back from a season ending injury). After taking a look at all the combine and Pro Day numbers from the other inside backers on the roster I´m even more worried about the position than before.
Well there's only so much that can be done in a given year, or draft. The league will continue to be pass happy, so on D I value DBs over ILBs and interior DLs, although in a true 3-4 that's just the NT. And TT had to do something about STs, and he did with the first 3 or 4 picks. This offseason, the Packers pretty much held serve on both O and D and have improved on STs. Given that they have so few weaknesses, and had two defections at corner, that's probably ok. Good enough to win the NFL North - yes. Good enough to win the NFCC - a very good chance. Good enough to win the SB - 50/50. At least we Packer fans have something to look forward to, and that's been true for many years with Wolf and Thompson running the show.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well there's only so much that can be done in a given year, or draft. The league will continue to be pass happy, so on D I value DBs over ILBs and interior DLs, although in a true 3-4 that's just the NT. And TT had to do something about STs, and he did with the first 3 or 4 picks. This offseason, the Packers pretty much held serve on both O and D and have improved on STs. Given that they have so few weaknesses, and had two defections at corner, that's probably ok. Good enough to win the NFL North - yes. Good enough to win the NFCC - a very good chance. Good enough to win the SB - 50/50. At least we Packer fans have something to look forward to, and that's been true for many years with Wolf and Thompson running the show.

Don´t get me wrong, the Packers are without a doubt one of the best teams in the NFL. The team will return all starters on offense, a unit that led the league in scoring last season.

I´m not convinced the defense improved though. A lot depends on the play of B.J. Raji and if any of the defensive backs on the roster will be able to adequately replace Tramon Williams on the outside. And as you already figured out I don´t think the ILB position has been addressed properly.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Don´t get me wrong, the Packers are without a doubt one of the best teams in the NFL. The team will return all starters on offense, a unit that led the league in scoring last season.

I´m not convinced the defense improved though. A lot depends on the play of B.J. Raji and if any of the defensive backs on the roster will be able to adequately replace Tramon Williams on the outside. And as you already figured out I don´t think the ILB position has been addressed properly.
Raji is the big wild card. Thompson apparently has a lot more confidence in him than I do. I'd be thrilled if we get just decent and even play out of him this year. I would keep him on a pretty strict 25-35 snap per game count which would force others to help carry the load. I'm not worried about the defensive backfield play. I think Joe Whitt will have them playing really well by October.

D

Deleted member 6794

Raji is the big wild card. Thompson apparently has a lot more confidence in him than I do. I'd be thrilled if we get just decent and even play out of him this year. I would keep him on a pretty strict 25-35 snap per game count which would force others to help carry the load. I'm not worried about the defensive backfield play. I think Joe Whitt will have them playing really well by October.

Raji will for sure play in the base defense. Whether he gets any additional snaps in the subpackages depends on if he´s capable of providing any pass rush.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji will for sure play in the base defense. Whether he gets any additional snaps in the subpackages depends on if he´s capable of providing any pass rush.
I'm hoping (yes I know hope is not a strategy) that u going back to his natural position as NT he will return as an important part of the D, on run and pass plays. He's older and the biceps injury was serious, but by all accounts he was in excellent shape AND motivated last year. He and Guion can sub for each other. I feel good about it and Raji is a Packer guy. I'll always remember his pic 6 against da Bearz in 2010. If he can play at 75% of that level, it will be a good year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm hoping (yes I know hope is not a strategy) that u going back to his natural position as NT he will return as an important part of the D, on run and pass plays. He's older and the biceps injury was serious, but by all accounts he was in excellent shape AND motivated last year. He and Guion can sub for each other. I feel good about it and Raji is a Packer guy. I'll always remember his pic 6 against da Bearz in 2010. If he can play at 75% of that level, it will be a good year.

I´m not convinced Raji moving back to NT will result in him having a good season. He was absolutely terrible playing the nose in 2011.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m not convinced Raji moving back to NT will result in him having a good season. He was absolutely terrible playing the nose in 2011.
Raji having two destructive DE's, and two scary OLBs like Mathews and Peppers utside them... With the real possibility of facing single teams, a motivated Raji will get back to rag dolling Guards and centers on his way to the ball carrier. A motivated Raji will cause so much trouble in the middle, it will cause a ripple effect that opens up the other guys. Thats my theory.

It goes back to Raji playing at BC. He had that other dominant DT next to him. Cant remember his name right now, but he opened Raji up to make the plays that got him picked 8th over all. And Visa Versa. He came to GB and had a lot of help on the D-line, and he looked like a top 3 NT as a rookie!!! He gets put on an island in Capers goofy 1 and 2 man front, and all of a sudden he's flat and unmotivated, looking to get out of GB I heard..... Put two and two together!!! GB brass did.

They got Raji some help. They went and got the 2nd dominant OLB. Unfortunately Raji went down in pre-season, or we would have seen it last year. (and probabally won the superbowl) But regardless, we have better and more help for Raji this year. He will be dominant. Pro-bowler most likely.

D

Deleted member 6794

Raji having two destructive DE's, and two scary OLBs like Mathews and Peppers utside them... With the real possibility of facing single teams, a motivated Raji will get back to rag dolling Guards and centers on his way to the ball carrier. A motivated Raji will cause so much trouble in the middle, it will cause a ripple effect that opens up the other guys. Thats my theory.

It goes back to Raji playing at BC. He had that other dominant DT next to him. Cant remember his name right now, but he opened Raji up to make the plays that got him picked 8th over all. And Visa Versa. He came to GB and had a lot of help on the D-line, and he looked like a top 3 NT as a rookie!!! He gets put on an island in Capers goofy 1 and 2 man front, and all of a sudden he's flat and unmotivated, looking to get out of GB I heard..... Put two and two together!!! GB brass did.

They got Raji some help. They went and got the 2nd dominant OLB. Unfortunately Raji went down in pre-season, or we would have seen it last year. (and probabally won the superbowl) But regardless, we have better and more help for Raji this year. He will be dominant. Pro-bowler most likely.

First of all Raji didn´t play a lot at NT during his rookie season. His college teammate you´re talking about is Ron Brace, who was a second round pick by the Pats in 2009 and turned out to be a complete bust in the NFL.

I hope you´re right about Raji returning to be an impact player for the Packers but as long as he doesn´t prove it on the field I won´t trust him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, nobody wanted him. So hes going back to a familiar face to get what he could $$$ wise.
I'm guessing the pickings were slim for him, considering he just signed up for another year of "slavery". I would think most players in this day and age are not keen on being a slave, let alone signing a contract to be one.

Members online

Latest posts