I think we won the 2014 NFC Championship, Goodell needs to do the right thing.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rule states that there must be at least 4 players lined up on each side of the kicker. In this case, there were 4 on one side and 6 on the other so according to the rule this is a legal formation.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rule states that there must be at least 4 players lined up on each side of the kicker. In this case, there were 4 on one side and 6 on the other so according to the rule this is a legal formation.

On an onside kick as well, no one from the kicking team shall move until the ball is kicked, they should've still been penalized. So yes while your post states the rule, mine states the full rule.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Even if the formation was illegal..which it wasn't. The ball was in Bostick's hands and he dropped it / whiffed.

Packers blew it.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On an onside kick as well, no one from the kicking team shall move until the ball is kicked, they should've still been penalized. So yes while your post states the rule, mine states the full rule.

I was merely responding to your original post which stated that Seattle should have been flagged for an illegal formation, which was incorrect. Don't know about players on kicking team not moving prior to the kick - I've never seen it called and they always are moving before the ball is kicked every time I've seen an onside kick.

Also, you state 'mine states the full rule'. I went back to your original post and the link is no longer valid. Please repost the full rule. Here is what I found in the NFL rule book - it doesn't say anything about players not being able to move before the kick. It just says they must stay behind the line until the ball is kicked.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was merely responding to your original post which stated that Seattle should have been flagged for an illegal formation, which was incorrect. Don't know about players on kicking team not moving prior to the kick - I've never seen it called and they always are moving before the ball is kicked every time I've seen an onside kick.

Also, you state 'mine states the full rule'. I went back to your original post and the link is no longer valid. Please repost the full rule. Here is what I found in the NFL rule book - it doesn't say anything about players not being able to move before the kick. It just says they must stay behind the line until the ball is kicked.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

isnt a free kick after a safety?

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From coachup.com rules pertaining to an onside kick:
Rules of Onside Kicks
The NFL has a very specific set of rules governing onside kicks which make it hard for the kicking team to recover the ball. Every football player on the kicking team must be behind the kicker and may not move until the ball is kicked. There may be at least four players on each side of the ball. The ball must travel at least ten yards OR be touched by the opposing team before the kicking team can recover it. If the ball is kicked out of play, the kicking team is penalized and must kick the ball again.

5 yard penalty, re-kick!

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rules of Onside Kicks
The NFL has a very specific set of rules governing onside kicks which make it hard for the kicking team to recover the ball. Every football player on the kicking team must be behind the kicker and may not move until the ball is kicked. There may be at least four players on each side of the ball. The ball must travel at least ten yards OR be touched by the opposing team before the kicking team can recover it. If the ball is kicked out of play, the kicking team is penalized and must kick the ball again.

5 yard penalty, re-kick!

I'm sorry but I don't think that site is official. Find me a rule from the NFL rule book from nfl.com stating this and then I will believe it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rules of Onside Kicks

5 yard penalty, re-kick!

Here is the link to the official NFL rulebook considering free kicks. There´s no rule that players on the kicking team aren´t allowed to move before the ball is kicked.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/9_2013_Free_Kicks.pdf

BTW contrary to the article you posted the NFL doesn´t have a specific set of rules governing onside kicks.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the link to the official NFL rulebook considering free kicks. There´s no rule that players on the kicking team aren´t allowed to move before the ball is kicked.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/9_2013_Free_Kicks.pdf

BTW contrary to the article you posted the NFL doesn´t have a specific set of rules governing onside kicks.

From reading this

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/kickoff

it appears that an onside is treated as a regular kickoff

A kickoff is illegal unless it travels 10 yards OR is touched by the receiving team. Once the ball is touched by the receiving team or has gone 10 yards, it is a free ball. Receivers may recover and advance. Kicking team may recover but NOT advance UNLESS receiver had possession and lost the ball.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, so what does that have to do with the issue at hand? An on-side kick is kickoff, and a kickoff is a free kick, so the rule cited in post #7 is applicable.

The issue is that we've got someone who is claiming that the players on the kicking team (other than the kicker) can't move before the ball is kicked. He posted some article that claims this, but it has been pointed out that there is no wording in the NFL rule book about kickoffs where the kicking team players have to be set and not move before the ball is kicked.

H

HardRightEdge

The issue is that we've got someone who is claiming that the players on the kicking team (other than the kicker) can't move before the ball is kicked. He posted some article that claims this, but it has been pointed out that there is no wording in the NFL rule book about kickoffs where the kicking team players have to be set and not move before the ball is kicked.
Got it. Thanks. Of course you can move on an on-side kick. "On-side" is a term of art, a style of play. It's just an informal term for a short kickoff. There's no technical differentiation between an on-side, a squib, or a long kick.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueRaptor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Seahawk fan I can fully understand why the Packer fans are feeling so low after going into this game being told you had little chance, and then so quickly prove doubters wrong, and if not for a Seahawks team that refuse to look at the scoreboard and give up, you would have won. And after the game for the most part Packer fans have been classy, and that has been pointed out on the Seahawks forums, BUT, the post that started this thread must be the worse sore loser thread I have read in post season, on all the fan forums, I have read. Glad to see the rest of you seeing this thread for what is is.

BlueRaptor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its been established the kick was legal. But if there was a blown call someplace that was not picked up by the officials, do we really want to give that kind of power to Goodell? He has taken away too much from the game already, with his overreaching authority. Let him look for blown calls and decide the outcome of the game, after its over with? Hell no.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts