I think our secondary deserves WAY more credit..

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the media talks about is our 32nd ranked pass defense and how we give up the big plays, which is true but think about how bad our pass rush is! I think we average like 1 sack per 32 drop backs, or something horrendous like that.. and yet our secondary still has 31 picks to boast on the season. Interceptions are almost always the result of a good pass rush, but I think this goes to show just how coordinated and athletic our DB's are. Your thoughts?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense is underrated.
People, including fans here on this forum, tend to overlook just how good our defense really is.

NYCDBS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your defense does get overlooked... That turn over number is very impressive your guys play good coverage jump routes and get picks... That pick by Matthews against the giants comes to mind. The high yards allowed by your secondary is probably because your defense does take chances and plays aggressively.

Frozencheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This.

GB Pitt
31 INTS 11 INTS
14 FF 14 FF
7 FR 4 FR
29 sacks 35 sacks
INT yrds 468 INT yrds 99

I feel that the INT yards is really overlooked by the press and most fans. 468 yards on INT returns is a LOT of yards negated from what the defense gives up. Also, I'll take 38 turnovers over 15 EVERY year, Pitt can keep its 35 sacks.

Frozencheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your defense does get overlooked... That turn over number is very impressive your guys play good coverage jump routes and get picks... That pick by Matthews against the giants comes to mind. The high yards allowed by your secondary is probably because your defense does take chances and plays aggressively.

They are also playing with big leads, Carolina, SD, and NY are just a few examples of teams that totally forgot about the run and aired it out until the game was over trying to catch up.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A decent stat to look to measure a secondary is opposing passer rating..

GB ranked #9 through the regular season. Top 10:

1. Ravens 68.8
2. Texans 69.0
3. Jets 69.6
4. Steelers 71.7
5. 49ers 73.6
6. Seahawks 74.8
7. Chiefs 79.1
8. Bears 79.3
T-9. Browns 80.6
T-9. Packers 80.6

However, GB did give up a large amount of big plays.

Plays of 20+ Yards:

1. Patriots 79
2. Packers 71
3. Dolphins 63
4. Giants 60
5. Cardinals/Raiders/Redskins 58

32. Steelers 34

Funny side note: The Steelers gave up 2 plays of 40+ yards the entire regular season, and gave up 4 to Tebow last Sunday. LOL

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In the defensive issues thread I posted a link to a story which talked about Capers being concerned about the secondary getting burned on the same routes - Williams in particular, so thinking the DBs are great and all the problems lie with the lack of pass rush is incorrect IMO. Having said that, of course the Packers excell in taking the ball away. The contrast between 31 INTs by the defense and the 6 INTs thrown by Rodgers (2 not his fault!), is a big reason for going 15-1.

You know the NFL is a multi-billion business and that’s because fan interest is at, or near, all-time highs. Since that is the case and there is a plethora of NFL stat “freaks” (I mean “freaks” in the nicest possible way:D ), I’m amazed the NFL or a major sports publication or site doesn’t keep track of and publish a stat which would be a more accurate reflection of a defense’s ability to pressure a QB. The stat should combine pressures, QB hits or knockdowns and sacks. I know the pressure stat in particular is a subjective one, but it wouldn’t be the only stat reported that is. With the passing game becoming more and more important in today’s NFL, I would really like to see the NFL itself adopt such a stat.

Earlier in this season, some Packers fans were worried and/or critical of Matthews’ drop in statistics, particularly sacks. In some of the stories linked during that discussion, his pressures and QB hits were cited, so I know they are being tracked by some. But I never see them on a team or league-wide basis. BTW, I think if such stats were available, the Packers defense would look somewhat better than just the sack numbers. Still not as good as last year’s numbers, but somewhat better, and evidence for my believing this is the opponents QB rating stat cited above.

(lontimefan, I hear ya, but you can merge threads, can’t you?)

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This.

GB Pitt
31 INTS 11 INTS
14 FF 14 FF
7 FR 4 FR
29 sacks 35 sacks
INT yrds 468 INT yrds 99

I feel that the INT yards is really overlooked by the press and most fans. 468 yards on INT returns is a LOT of yards negated from what the defense gives up. Also, I'll take 38 turnovers over 15 EVERY year, Pitt can keep its 35 sacks.
we would have 35 sacks if we played the browns twice every year too.

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
75 -25 THEORY

75% of the reason were giving up so many passing yards is because of the lack of a pass rush.
25% because of the loss of Nick Collins, jumping routes, taking to many gambles, lack of communication in the secondary

Members online

Latest posts