1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I think I'm gonna be sick.....

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by pack_in_black, Nov 30, 2006.

1. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I tried to look back, and I'm pretty sure no one's brought this up.

The Hot Stove season (baseball) has always been really exciting to me. Same as the NFL season. As y'all know, I'm a Red Sox fan, and therefore have hated the Yankees and thier "go ahead and buy it, cause if nothing else we'll screw all the other teams" player-acquisition strategy.

But, as I'm sure most have heard, my BoSox offered 51 mil for negotiating rights to Matsuzaka, Soriano and Lee got HUGE deals, blah blah blah, and all this $$$ being thrown around, I just don't know. Thoughts, feelings?

2. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Baseball certainly has not fully addressed the economic inequities that have in part prevented it from enjoying the popularity of the NFL. This can be blamed in equal share on owners who can not see the forest for the trees regarding the disparity in economics negatively impacting the health of the league and the players union which again takes a very short sighted approach. The market dictates that even slightly above average players now can command multi year multi million dollar contracts(which unlike the NFL) are fully guaranteed and top flight players are only available to a small handful of teams at the top of the economic ladder.

Milwaukee is a prime example. New stadium increased revenues and new ownership has deeper pockets than previous allowing them to increase payroll by 25-35 million over the past several years, but still not having a shot at competing in the free agent market or keeping their own.

3. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I love baseball I love the game I watch many Brewer/Twin games. But MLB is messed up. They are killing themselvs. But what I do think about the MLB is this: Yes, there is a lot of "outbuying" of other teams...But the thing about it is, is that if the small market teams wanted to they could pick up a few extra guys that are better then decent players. But many dont. For example I am a big Twins fan, they are considered a "small market" team. The owner has the money. He is richer than George..but he doesnt spend it. He could if he wanted to. I think a lot of it comes from the attitude of the owners. No one knows this better than Brewer fans in recent years.

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    selig will be good in 09

5. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Did a Red Sox fan just say how they hated the Yankees buying players? If I'm not mistaken, they are #2 behind the Yanks.

Go Cards!

6. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Cardinal fan here too. But baseball has priced me out. I used to go to about 2 or 3 games a year, been to about 30 games, and was even at Busch when McGwire hit #62. Too bad he's a damn cheater. But anyway.

The last game I went was last year when they opened the new busch stadium, the Memphis Redbirds and Springfield Cardinals played an exibition game.

Food prices were ridiculous. $4.50 for a bottle of water. $9 for a beer. Give me a break.

7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Bud has hinted when his term is up, he probably will step down..Wants to "teach" ?? and write a book

8. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. And in that post, I said that it pissed me off that the Sox do it.

But, it's become the nature of the beast. If you want to win more than once a decade, buy everyone else out. Ever since the strike, baseball CBA's are crap.

I mean, look at the way game of baseball is played. It's a game for fun. And these players are demanding salaries of 100+ million... that's Monopoly money!!! It's just unreal numbers that players get for playing. I guess I'm just losing my child-like love for the game really late.

And Midwest, I get to go to Rockies games, so everything's cheap! (relatively)

9. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    And PS, Bud Selig is awful. Worst. Commissioner. Ever.

10. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah if I want to go to a baseball game now, I go watch the Springfield Cardinals. (Card's AA team) I can enjoy a game for about $20. That includes a ticket AND food.

11. NiVeK

NiVeK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a true blue Brew Crew fan (unlike most Wisconsinites who have jumped on the Twinkies bandwagon, especially those in the north....ugh) and I must agree that baseball has a lot of work to do to address the problem that exists between the teams. As far as the Brewers go, it sucks, because Miller Park is an amazing place to watch a game and is aguably one of the best ballparks in the bigs...the new owner will steadily be increasing the payroll about 10 mil a year for a few years. For Brewer fans, that was fantastic news. Then comes the offseason and players contracts get all skewed when players like Soriano get a bagillion dollars for like 6 years (f.u.c.k da cubs btw!) therefore blowing the chances the Brewers have of obtaining anyone halfway decent because mid level free agents believe they deserve huge money. It's just one huge messed up process. Thus the reason I hate all big market teams (Yanks, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Mets, Angels, etc.)

hopefully the next commish can do something about this. I can go one season without baseball so long as the next season my Brewers have some chance of conmpeting.

12. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am fed up, and being a life long Yankee fan I can honestly say my attitude now is "F them".

I don't care about the MLB anymore. I, like PIB, am tired of the constant spending. Yes the Yankees lead the way, but you have to realize the Yankees are allowed to lead the way because there is such a bad CBA in place right now.

Basically the problem is you can't simply rebuild through the draft in baseball. You need to have an amazingly deep farm system like the A's if you stand a chance at doing that and even then you aren't going to get into the World Series.

I want to see teams bring up their own players, build from within, and as a fan watch and stick with the young players as the grow older and mature. The MLBPA is run by a bunch of morons, and I am surprised to the nth degree that the owners/players signed an extension on the CBA.

I won't be watching much baseball this season. Maybe a game here, a game there if I am bored out of my mind but that's it. I don't wanna watch 162 games where only about 70-80 of them are actually against competitive teams that will give the opposing teams a real run for their money.

Bud Selig is a moron. I am incredibly frustrated at this point, I can agree with not wanting a strike but I think Bud is scared senseless by the media. Look people won't be happy at the start, but give them competitive games throughout the entire sched. and see how fast they come back. Hockey grew in the US, specially because the NHL used the media to spin how much a salary cap was needed. Selig won't (or doesn't) know how to do that, and that gives the players union all the advantage.

I don't even know if I am making sense anymore, but the point is that I am utterly disgusted and fed up with this pathetic with MLB. They can rot in hell for all I care now.