1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I need internet advice.

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Tylaa, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Tylaa

Tylaa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, well, I decided you guys are the most educated forums I know, plus you guys are even local to Wisconsin. Anyways, my family has had dial-up internet for years now. For my birthday I want to get a faster internet and internet to our second computer.

Someone once told me with like DSL or somthing that you can connect 2 computers up to the router or what ever. Do you guys know any services that do that? AND are cheap. Also, my mom thinks that cause we live in the country a little ways that we cannot get stuff like this.

Help is appreciated, thanks!

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Tylaa.......there has to be someone here that can give you help.........unfortunatly I can't. I'm not very smart when it comes to computers.
    When you say you live out in the country, how far out in the country? There arn't that many places now adays that can't be accessed by modern technology.
    Come on guys! I'm SURE some of you can give Tylaa some good advice!

3. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Country boy likes me goes wireless but not sure how it's done down there

4. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Although I can't provide you with any local specifics most of the phone companies can provide you DSL services. There is no additional wiring - the existing phone wires and jacks are used. They just make some changes "down the block"

Yes - once you have DSL service you can connect a Router to your DSL modem and then get several computers on the internet simultaneously. You can also get wireless routers - most will have wired connections available as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they are offering The modem and router in one device now. That's how my Verizon FIOS is setup.

If you have cable TV that is another option for high-speed internet.

Good luck.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    DSL sometimes cant be offered in rual areas because its to far away from the "hub" that the company uses..

best bet is cable high speed..You can have them set up wireless networking for other computers, or you can go to best buy or places like that and buy a router and set up wireless networking your self

6. packerfan1245

packerfan1245 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Get cable internet, DSL or w/e is fine. Get local fast internet or something. Then buy a Router and that lets it hook to the other computer wirelessly. Google wireless router if you don't know what it is.

7. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You are in Wisconsin. Be happy you have anything at all. I think Cheesey still has a rotary phone. :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  9. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ha Ha Ha Ha. Vikesrule comes back with a bang.

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    And I HAD to ask where he was!!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    What........is there a different kind now????? :wink:

12. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Cheesey..still have an 8-track player in your car?

13. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Now that we're on this topic.

I always wondered if you could get Packer games on Wisconsin Radio using a short-wave, HAM radio.

Does anyone know?

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    No.....i couldn't afford that. So i wired up a turntable. It works GREAT!..............as long as your sitting still.......otherwise the records skip like crazy!!! :lol:

15. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    In most areas, high speed cable internet absolutely CRUSHES DSL, and I would choose it any day of the week. I use Direct TV (Satellite) for my cable and such, but definitely stick with my 10 mbps high speed internet! So, if you live close enough to get cable internet, do so, you won't be disappointed. I recommend getting a speed of no lower the 1 mbps, but 3 would be better. Those numbers are basically just how much data transfer that the cable company limits you to. With a speed of three, you would be fllllyyyying!! I really can't imagine how the internet is appealing at all with dial up anymore.

But with either choice, you can hook up multiple computers. I go with a Linksys Cable Modem and router combo. Basically, if you have cable internet, you will plug a standard coaxial cable into the back of the router, and then it will probably have about 4-6 ethernet ports (the cable that hooks into your computer for internet) and you plug that into your computer and you should be good to go! You can plug as many computers up to your router as you have available ports. As the others said, you can also get a router that has wireless networking abilities, and as long as you have a wireless network card or usb wireless connection in your computer, you can access the internet anywhere in your house without an ethernet cable, which is especially handy if you have a lap-top. But, then you will want to have your network secured so that anyone driving close by can't access it. But, if you live far out then that's not really a problem.

Hope that helps!

16. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheesey, just curious. Did you know they have a new invention called the microwave oven. They are rectangular and you can set them on the counter. They are great for making popcorn in. The bad news for you is that they run on electricity. Guess, you are out of luck. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh....i thought a "micro-wave" was what the Queen gave you as she rode by! :lol:

18. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That was good Cheesey. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

19. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Vike4! I'm blessed (or some would say cursed) with a brain that almost automatically turns almost everything into a joke! I have somehwhat learned to curb it, as sometimes it has got me in serious trouble! :wink:

20. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Thought the OP wanted internet advice?

90% is cheesy and Vikes needing to get a room

21. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Can never go wrong with 90% Cheesey.........unless it's 100% Cheesey.
    Anyway, the 10% gave the advice Tylaa wanted. I'm just here to keep things interesting. Otherwise threads like these would just get lost and overlooked.