I love Ryan Longwell, but...

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe **** could hold for him.

He is about the same age as Pederson and has a much better voice.

Nice quote Bruce!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
a kicker doing a little trash talkin thats funny

i wonder how hard it is to hold a ball properly? ive never done it personally so i dunno

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will Rogers 1st TD be on a fake FG? Remember when Safety Pryor volunteered and honestly said "I'll do any extra job to get a roster spot."
I would think many would be stepping up hoping that Longwell liked what you were doing.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to be very upset if we have 2 punters on the roster again this year, one in Barker to hold and one to punt.

But for as much as I dislike Longwell's whining, I do agree with him that Barker really saved a poor snap last year to help in that win against Houston. It was like a short hopper off to the side a little that Barker snagged and held in perfect rhythm.

But other than that, I wouldn't think it should be that difficult to place a ball at the proper angle for the kicker. But like SV said, I never did it either so who knows.

Gravedigger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Maybe **** could hold for him.

Robin Yount said:
He is about the same age as Pederson and has a much better voice.

Nice quote Bruce!

Hey Robin, I was there when yopu got No. 3000 and when you went into the Hall.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously who cares if we have 2 punters on the team i mean if Ryan felt in sync with Barker when Pederson held then why not do him that little favor and resign him? I mean Sander is sucking it up in NFLE he is 5th in total punting. Bryan had a better net and yards punted average then Sander does in NFLE. So in saying this i say resign Barker and cut Sander. Id trust Barker over Nall and Rodgers to hold the ball if we needed Longwell to save our butt in a tied game.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A more real comparison between Sander and Barker...

First of all you are just plain wrong.
Sanders has a 39.3 Gross average and 36.9 Net average -- which would have been tied for 8th in NFL;
Baker had a 40.1 Gross average and a pathetic 33.4 -- which was 31th in NFL.

But let's dig even deeper.

Consider the following:

Sanders:

~~ only had 12 of his 27 punts returned -- only 44% returned = 56% not returned;
~~ given up 43 return yards -- 2.4 yards per return, actually 1.2 yards on 15 that were returned;
~~ had only 1 touchback all season -- 3.6% of the time;
~~ pinned the other team inside the 20 on 12 of 27 punts -- 44% of the time.

Barker:

~~ had 50 of his 66 punts returned -- 77% returned = 23% not returned
~~ had 7 Touchbacks -- 10.6% of the time.(ranked 27th in NFL in 2004)
~~ pinned the other team inside the 20 only 1.3% of the time (ranked 27th in NFL in 2004)

In all of the above categories Sanders would have led or been in top ten in the NFL in 2004

whereas;

Baker ranked in the bottom of the NFL in 2004 in all of the above categories.

Gross Ave. means nothing: Net ave is what matters in the NFL. Pinning teams inside the 20 matters in the NFL. Limiting return opportunities matters inside the NFL. At all of these things Baker STUNK!

Cheezy said:
Seriously who cares if we have 2 punters on the team i mean if Ryan felt in sync with Barker when Pederson held then why not do him that little favor and resign him? I mean Sander is sucking it up in NFLE he is 5th in total punting. Bryan had a better net and yards punted average then Sander does in NFLE. So in saying this i say resign Barker and cut Sander. Id trust Barker over Nall and Rodgers to hold the ball if we needed Longwell to save our butt in a tied game.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Sanders is playing with boys in the summer.
Barker played with men in the cold, windy, stormy etc during games that count. Barker also played in more games for his season stats then what Sanders has.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course the context is different...

I was simply saying that the comparison of the two by cheezy was an inaccurate comparison.

Sander will have to win the job in training camp and during the exhibition season or the job will belong to someone else -- Period. btw
barker also had a good number of games kicking in domes last season.

SlickVision said:
Sanders is playing with boys in the summer.
Barker played with men in the cold, windy, stormy etc during games that count. Barker also played in more games for his season stats then what Sanders has.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: Of course the context is different...

Bruce said:
btw
barker also had a good number of games kicking in domes last season.
2004 Schedule
  • at Carolina Panthers
    Chicago Bears
    at Indianapolis Colts *****
    New York Giants
    Tennessee Titans
    at Detroit Lions *****
    Dallas Cowboys ... open roof
    at Washington Redskins
    Minnesota Vikings
    at Houston Texans
    St. Louis Rams
    at Philadelphia Eagles
    Detroit Lions
    Jacksonville Jaguar
    at Minnesota Vikings *****
    at Chicago Bears
And Detroit and Minn both are on "Grass" and I use that word loosely.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Bruce your wrong.
Sanders has a 39.3 Gross average and 36.9 Net average -- which would have been 2nd in NFL;

With a 39.3 gross average he would have been tied with Darren Bennett at 29th in the league last year. Shane Lechler had a 46.7 gross average and he had a 37.2 net average, he was 1st in the league. You can never be 2nd or even lead the league with a 39.2 gross average. Steven Cheek had a gross average close to Sander does right now, a 39.1 and you know what place he was in last year in punting.....last.

All of your other stats dont matter. All that matters is your gross average. And Barker may have been 27th but Sander would have been tied for 29th.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YOU ARE STILL WRONG...

I am saying look at the net average, not the gross. Field position is what matters and Sander's numbers in NFLE stack with the best in the NFL last season.

I have said that he needs to earn the job and that kicking in NFLE is not good enough, but YOU ARE STILL WRONG -- Sander

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Of course the context is different...

So using your well backed up post:

Baker kicked in 3 domes and Dallas where even with the roof open it is contained from wind and elements -- and kicked in 3 cold weather games in the regular season.

He ranked 31st in Net average;
and sucked in every statistical category
with his best being 27th in Gross Average.

The Punting Job must be earned, but you cannot be seriously arguing tht Baker showed anything that would warrant bringing him back this season -- can you?

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just trying to living up the debate

It is nothing about getting any one. I hope our punter is a big improvement over last year :D

Cheezy said:
Ok whatever dude you got me. I dont care who our punter is.......

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to tell though if Sander is having a better net average in NFLE because he is getting great hang time on his kicks to allow his coverage teams to get down there, or because he has great coverage teams over there.

It'll be interesting to see how he performs when he gets back to Green Bay. I just hope someone steps up at the position.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I just hope someone steps up at the position.

I'll be happy if we get someone to show up for the spot, seems we haven't really had a punter since hentrich.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan said:
I vote we cut both punters and go EA Sports - Madden style. No punting... :chest:

Unless you play online mode with that stupid rule thingy. ARGH that drove me nuts! Big deal if I was on my 21 yard line, doesnt mean i HAVE to punt.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His contract is up at the end of the season. A lot of people here seem to think kick offs to the 15 yard line are worth lots of money.

Longwell's contract is over at the end of the year. Who do you not sign in order to keep Longwell: Kampmann, Jackson, Henderson, Green?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i've got the solution..

sign Pederson as a slash Player/Coach/Holder...end of problem.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see it as whining by Longwell. He's just a perfectionist. That's why he's such a good placekicker. Even more than most things in sports, kicking is about preparation and confidence. If Longwell is not confident that the ball will be in the right position every single time, his kicking will suffer and the Packers could lose games because of it. It's in everybody's best interest, not just Longwell's, for the team to find an established holder. I'm hoping Sander can do the job because of the uncertainty with the backup QB's. (Considering that the #3 QB cannot play unless the top two get hurt.)

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
His contract is up at the end of the season. A lot of people here seem to think kick offs to the 15 yard line are worth lots of money.

Longwell's contract is over at the end of the year. Who do you not sign in order to keep Longwell: Kampmann, Jackson, Henderson, Green?

more importantly, who do you sign to replace Longwell...for cheap?

Members online

Latest posts