1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

"I know my days are numbered here" Al Harris

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by all about da packers, Oct 30, 2006.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    SOURCE

Oh boy. :(

2. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i thought when he said something about 'have you seen my body?' that he was gonna take his shirt off & flex!

i know alot of you guys are in love with harris & i've kept quiet about him but now i'll tell you what i think. (excited, aren't ya?) harris is not a player my dad & i ever liked. we thought he got beat far too often & was always looking around for someone to blame.

him pointing out each & every play he defended in the past few games sounds alot like he's trying to sell himself to another team & perhaps grasping at straws.

i'm not saying i want him to go - just that i really never liked the guy & neither did my dad.

what do y'all think?

3. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    4pack, IMO Harris is right up there with the most underrated players in the league.

A CB is one tough position, and you need confidence in yourself. He has shut his man down, and for someone who has his tools (IE lack of speed) the way he plays to stop the top WRs is more than surprising IMO.

Do I like him as a player? I do for his play on the field, and the fact that his contract situation hasn't led him to stop playing completely. However I really disagree with the way he has gone about getting more money.

I agree with you about him saying what he did, boasting if you will. The thing I find interesting is that he seems to think it is necessary for him to market himself. Harris has said this D scheme is suited for him. News flash: not everyone runs man to man.

Also, I'm surprised that he doesn't see how easy it would be for the Packers to force him to stay on the team, seeing as he has only about a 3.5 million cap charge. For a team that has the potential to be 20 million (pushing 25 million) dollars over the cap, that isn't a big amount.

4. jhensiak

jhensiak Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If the Pack wants to make a run in the next 1/2 years with Favre still around, give the man the $$$. I have also been guilty taking Harris for granted since the rest of the team has been down and his great play was not going to be the difference between winning and losing. Now that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel...keep him!!! The only guys better tham him are Pac Man, Champ, McAllister. Honestly, he has been a pain in the *** about $$$, but in this case he deserves it.

5. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    get value for him while we can!

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    there's no way he's going to play out his contract though. it's just too rich. what can we do? i would LOVE to keep him around, but the way they structure these contracts... we'll see, i guess.

7. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, as already was pointed out, the contract is not too rich for the Packers to carry. Harris wants a raise. Unfortunately the way GB handled the McKenzie and then Walker situations, it's likely that if he complains loud enough then he'll be traded.

Al knows that his stock will never be any higher than it is right now. At age 35/36 (when his contract is up in GB) he will not get a big contract and likely will not even be playing. He sees how much Woodson is getting and he's the top CB on the team. Therefore he's using Woodson's contract as leverage to make more money know while he can.

As for not likely his approach, at least he's not holding out. In fact he's working hard and doing the best he can on the field. It would be nice if he could just work out a new deal behind the scenes, but maybe he tried that and was denied.

However this plays out, I hope that we continue to see Harris playing in GB for a few more years.

GO PACK GO!!!

8. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm sick of harris. he should know what happens when u complain in green bay. al is getting older and is not that quick anymore. i would rather keep barnett than harris. pacman is not better than harris. Harris is a good player, but not a probowler.

9. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Harris is very good and has been underrated. That said, while he is still playing at a high level, you can see some signs of slippage and at a position where speed is necessary the drop could come very quickly.

The Packers are not dealing from a position of strength, as they are quite thin and/or old at DB.

Best case scenerio would be to give him a couple more years front loaded to reward him for what he has given the team the past several years, but would not be a killer financially to dump after next year if need be.

10. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    out with the old in with the new. just kidding. the pack could probably forward some of his bonus. i think they should restructure with some incentives. he gets money for interceptions and not allowing tds

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I have mixed feelings. Yes, last week he ran an interception in for a TD, BUT, had the WR not let the ball go through his hands, the WR would have had a good play. It wasn't like Harris was in great position, he was just lucky. Yesterday, he let a sure INT go right through his hands. I've seen WAY too much of that from him. Big players make those plays. They don't miss them that often.
    I think he has over rated himself in his own mind.
    Just my opinion.
    The bad part is, we sure don't have anyone else that can step into the spot.

12. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I say give Harris the money, we need to have "some" good veterins left on this team, I know eventually they all get replaced, but as long as they are playing well keep them..and Harris I believe is a great player so I say keep him....just my opinion..

13. jhensiak

jhensiak Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I meant D Hall, not PAC MAN

14. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well so far those who complain and demand a trade have gotten their wish....

15. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, boy was exactly what I thought. I really hope our young CB's can step up their play. This is not a position we can afford to lose a decent player.

16. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry cheesey but I think you're talking about Woodson here and not Harris.

17. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    yeah get him out of here then. His attitude is horrible. It is obvious we're rebuilding, so lets let blackmon\dendy get more reps, and draft r sign some CBs in the offseason.

im tired of Al Harris and his pity parties.

18. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    At 32 he's to old to give payday after this season...

19. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe we'll start to phase Will Blackmon in a little bit so that he's ready for next year.

20. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

Well Charles Woodson is 30 or 31 and got his big payday. Now you tell Harris to go play the #1 receivers man to man while Woodson plays the #2, but you're not worth the money Woodson makes? Doesn't make sense. Remember Harris will be 32 but for a few years with Philly he was just playing in nickel situations. He doesn't have the mileage or injury history that Woodson has on his body.

I believe Bobby said it earlier...yea you know what happens when you want more money or a trade in Green Bay....you get your wish. We have the money that we can give him NOW and it wouldn't hurt our cap # in the future at all. Pay the man the going rate.

21. Joebediah

Joebediah Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think things will probably work in the end. He is by no means taking the McKenzie or Walker approach. Unlike McKenzie, Al isn't being distant or faking injuries to get off the field, he is trying his hardest. And unlike Javon, he isn't being a prick that says he hates the organization.

So far, it just seems like he is trying to work with the front office with little results and is expressing disappointment. It's easy to see how this matter can escalate, but it will probably just be overblown. Remember that ridiculous 1 or 2 day period where it seemed like Driver wanted to be traded?? That eventually was bogus.

I don't see why this can't be resolved like Driver's situation was.

BTW, many fans felt that we didn't spend enough of our cap, well is it so wrong to spend it on one of your own guys than an overpriced free agent? ( i'm not alluding to Woodson, i love woodson, just generally speaking)

22. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Sorry Cheesey, wasn't Woodson was the one with the Int for the TD -- not Harris? And, yes, it was luck to just go through the WR's hands.

23. spacecoastpkrfan

spacecoastpkrfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Pay the man !!....he does deserve it. Just ask some of the premier receivers that he has faced and more than held his own against (ex. Chad Johnson or Anquan Boldin) They're probably a little more qualified to evaluate his abilities than we are.....

24. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    He's already getting paid, he isn't working for free.

25. flapackfan

flapackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Harris is very good. With him and Woodson back there we have a chance to compete defensively. Take either one of them out of the game for any big length of time and we wont be able to stop anyone defensively. We already are having big defensive problems We should find a way to keep Harris and get a good nickelback in free agency.

Im not saying break the bank for Harris, but if we can make him happy without messing up our salary cap, a happy player is a better player. Give him an incentive laden contract and we will see the best he has to offer for a few years. Otherwise, he might be disgruntled and maybe not prepare as hard and keep in shape and his play could be affected. So basically, either raise him, or trade him to the Broncos.