I hope the approach going forward...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is to keep the pedal to the metal. I've never seen a team just completely go into conservative mode like the Packers do. It's not just with MM it's the same thing with Capers too! That's a bad combination, and leads to what we've become accustomed to seeing around here..when they get a lead and think they Can just R-E-L-A-X. The other team gets paid too!

Either Capers has to get aggressive with his play calling with the defense, and hopes that the defense can get off the field?...or better yet cause a turnover?? Or MM has to trust that Rodgers and the offense can generate more points without doing his pass, run, run, and punt garbage to try to run out the clock.

They need to have about 3 or 4 screens they can go to in crunch time that I just not have seen enough of. When a team is losing? and it's the 4th quarter...what do you typically see them do? Take more chances. They know that we are going to try to run the ball to run out the clock so I'd call screens. A screen not only is a high percentage completion but a completion means the clock keeps running. Around here screens usually go for big yards but we hardly see them. Maybe once or twice a game. The approach to closing out games HAS to change. Even if they make the playoffs They can't coach not to lose the game.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just want to point this out, but the offense didn't go conservative in the Bears game.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack does need to learn to keep the boot on the opponents throat. I can't understand why they find this so hard!
That freakin' gum chewing son of a ***** in Seattle runs the score up whenever he can. :mad:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with c-lee that execution wasn't there. Adams two botched catches would have us up by two TD. Those two throws to adams should have been caught balls. Not blaming just him but other factors(D) I can't think of right now almost lost us the game. We can't rule out the cold weather. I don't know about you guys but if it's that cold you do not want anyone bumping into you let alone sacking you.

Anyway...I do agree that we need to go out there like warriors with no mercy! like Ragnar Lothbrok

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys do know this is a two part statement right? So even if they weren't "executing" on offense? Then what about defense?

Sky King

Reaction score
The one play from the melt-down in Seattle during the 2014 NFCC best symbolizes NOT keeping the pedal to the metal for me. It was that late 4th qtr. interception by the Packers. Instead of trying to get as many return yards as possible the DB just gave himself-up as though there was less-than a minute left to play and running out the clock was just a formality. What??? There was so little resistance ahead he may have been able to score or at least have gotten deep into Seattle territory but he just quit. It set the tone for the fiasco that followed.

This team has a tendency to relax at times, abandoning the aggression that brought them success up to that point. Maybe all teams do. But I don't watch other teams each week, so I can only go by what I see with my team.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think, to be fair, as much as I like to insist on stomping the opponent, that we need to remember three things. First, he was told to lie down by the most senior player on the D, a future HOFer. Second, nobody, nobody could have anticipated the comedy of errors required for that move to achieve the significance that it has. Finally, (can never leave the 'what if' caveat :)) he'd have run more and fumbled?

Sky King

Reaction score
I think, to be fair, as much as I like to insist on stomping the opponent, that we need to remember three things. First, he was told to lie down by the most senior player on the D, a future HOFer. Second, nobody, nobody could have anticipated the comedy of errors required for that move to achieve the significance that it has. Finally, (can never leave the 'what if' caveat :)) he'd have run more and fumbled?
I get your point but they could have fumbled on any of the plays in the subsequent drive, too, since it was not a kneel-down situation. They needed at least one or two first downs on that drive to have exhausted enough of the clock to render a viable comeback moot. That's a lot of plays for something to go wrong, probably six or more. But the interception and return was an opportunity to deliver the kill-shot and they took a knee instead. I remember shouting out loud at the time, "What the Hell is he doing?!" Peppers may have thought that there was less time on the clock or perhaps he was confident that Rodgers and Co. would get the necessary first down(s). That's the only excuses I can come up with for why he did what he did.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk what game you were watching but yes they did. They got out scored 17-0 in the 4th quarter.

Getting outscored doesn't mean they necessarily went conservative. They had 2 three and outs and Rodgers dropped back to pass 4 out of those 6 plays. Running the ball up the middle three plays and punting is going conservative.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all the heat the Packers take for blowing leads, they rarely actually lose a game by blowing a lead late.

I don't remember the exact numbers but Rodgers and MM are 40 something and 2 when having a two score lead. A few games ago the broadcast said theyve win close to thirty games in a row after leading going into the 4th quarter. I'm assuming that 2nd stat is only regular season.

They also kept the lead no problem in the three games before Chicago.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is to keep the pedal to the metal. I've never seen a team just completely go into conservative mode like the Packers do. It's not just with MM it's the same thing with Capers too! That's a bad combination, and leads to what we've become accustomed to seeing around here..when they get a lead and think they Can just R-E-L-A-X. The other team gets paid too!

Either Capers has to get aggressive with his play calling with the defense, and hopes that the defense can get off the field?...or better yet cause a turnover?? Or MM has to trust that Rodgers and the offense can generate more points without doing his pass, run, run, and punt garbage to try to run out the clock.

They need to have about 3 or 4 screens they can go to in crunch time that I just not have seen enough of. When a team is losing? and it's the 4th quarter...what do you typically see them do? Take more chances. They know that we are going to try to run the ball to run out the clock so I'd call screens. A screen not only is a high percentage completion but a completion means the clock keeps running. Around here screens usually go for big yards but we hardly see them. Maybe once or twice a game. The approach to closing out games HAS to change. Even if they make the playoffs They can't coach not to lose the game.

I don't think I remember seeing one screen pass in the Bears game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys do know this is a two part statement right? So even if they weren't "executing" on offense? Then what about defense?
I wasn't happy with the defense... I don't know if they were playing conservatively or just badly, but the post in question specifically referenced the offense which is why you got the disagrees.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yup.
That is why we blew it in Seattle.
Run, run, run, pass, punt the ball back to the Seahawks.
Seattle scores and wins!

Just WTF were they doing running the ball?
You pass to get first downs to keep the ball.

I brought this up before and there were those who justified the Packers conservative strategy of running the ball instead of going for 1st downs.
There is zero excuses.
There are no justifications.
McMoron blew it with his moronic play calling to not lose instead of to win.

It was boneheaded play calling to run the ball. Period. End of story. Over and out. Case closed.
That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup.
Seattle scores and wins!

I brought this up before and there were those who justified the Packers conservative strategy of running the ball instead of going for 1st downs.
There is zero excuses.

It was boneheaded play calling to run the ball. Period. End of story. Over and out. Case closed.
Are you talking about reality or just some fantasy game?.... specifics? what game ...? what drive? That certainly wasn't the case in the Bears game. The offense stalled in the 4th quarter but not because they weren't passing ...

If you are talking only about the 2014 NFC championship game.... I think we have beaten that one to death.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
possible the DB just gave himself-up as though there was less-than a minute left to play and running out the clock was just a formality. What??? There was so little resistance ahead he may have been able to score or at least have gotten deep into Seattle territory but he just quit. It set the tone for the fiasco that followed.
Don't forget that Peppers was signaling him to hit the dirt.
That may have been Peppers biggest bonehead move of his stellar career.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they did pass the ball, it would have been a first down to quarless too. It was contested, but I still think a TE should catch that more often than not and he didn't

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup.
Seattle scores and wins!

There is zero excuses.

The insane amount of players errors might have had something to do with losing the lead too.

Or the poor execution on those run plays. If those runs pick up a first down, there's no complaining.

It's not a coincidence one of the few times they blew a big lead was also the same game where there were tons of mistakes.

The only other game with Rodgers and MM they blew a big lead and lost had a fumble returned for a TD late in the 4th quarter.

I know for some people putting some blame on players instead of coaching is crazy though...

Last edited: