I have... a plan

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's a good one. But before FA opens and we are away to the races, here's my opinion of one good way to attack the offseason.

Current Cap Space: 16.9M

Resign:
  • Q. Dial- -800K
Release:
  • R. Cobb- +9.5M
  • Q. Rollins- +940K
  • K. Fackrell- +500K
Restructure:
  • J. Nelson- clears +3.5M
New Cap Number: ~30.5M

Sign:

• Cornerback: The Packers need a corner capable of starting in nickel defense immediately. I believe the player they target will depend on how Pettine assesses Randall. If he decides that he would like to use him primarily in the slot, then a corner with outside skills is necessary and I would pursue Kyle Fuller (est. 11-12M/season contract). If Pettine believes that Randall needs to stay primarily on the outside, the Packers could perhaps save some space by pursuing a player that thrives in the slot, but can play outside, like Bashaud Breeland (est. 9-10M/season contract).
  • Trey Burton, TE: Burton is a dynamic receiving threat who can work well in the slot. Cutting Cobb could easily be mitigated by bringing in a TE who works well in the slot, while also using Montgomery, Nelson, and Adams there on occasion. I'm estimating that his contract would average 7-8M.
  • Matt Moore, QB: A veteran makes the most sense to me for our QB2 problem. We could invest in a rookie to compete with Hundley, but there is no guarantee that said player would be a better backup from day one. What the Packers really need for now is a capable #2 who can keep the ship on course for a time should Rodgers miss a few games. I agree with those who have argued that it is too soon to invest high draft capital in Rodgers eventual replacement. I would estimate that Moore could be had for around 3M/season. I would argue that they should pay him on a two year deal, meaning that his contract would end before Rodgers' extension begins. He has a connection to Philbin.
  • Xavier Su'a-Filo, G: Su'a-Filo has been a bust in Houston, but he is one of the more physically gifted interior linemen in the NFL. I would love to bring him in on a cheap, one year contract and see what Campen might be able to do with him. I would guess he'd be available for 1-2M.
  • Trent Murphy, OLB: It's possible that the potential here means that Murphy is priced out of where I would like to sign him. However if injury/suspension issues suppress his value, I would happily pay him around 4M on a one year deal to see if the Packers can buy low and have it pay off.
Draft: Entering the draft, the above scenario would allow the Packers to be fairly wide open positionally. Certainly there would still be positions that I would want them to address in the first three rounds, but they would not be married to any particular one at #14. As of now, I am assuming that 3 QB's (at minimum), Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, Edmunds, and Fitzpatrick will for sure go in the first 13 picks (total of 8 players). That would mean that of the following, at least two would be on the board for the Packers: C. Ridley, WR, Alabama; V. Vea, DL, Washington; D. James, S, Florida State; D. Ward, CB, Ohio State; R. Smith, LB, Georgia; J. Jackson, CB, Iowa; E. Harold, ED, Boston College.

If Pettine feels that he would be able to run an effective nickel passage with both Josh Jones and Derwin James on the field, I think that could make for a strong selection. By all accounts, James is an alpha personality, has a high football IQ, puts in a ton of film work, and is a leader on the field. The Packers really lack a tone-setter and leader on the field to get the defense lined up on time. If he brought that, in addition to his formidable blend of talent and skill, he could help transform the defense. But I would be happy with any of the above. After round 1, let the draft come to you and find value where you need it.

As far as a Rodgers extension goes, I have no idea what that would or wouldn't do to the current cap. But I am confident that it could work along with the moves above given all of the space that will open up after this season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's a good one. But before FA opens and we are away to the races, here's my opinion of one good way to attack the offseason.

Current Cap Space: 16.9M

Resign:
  • Q. Dial- -800K
Release:
  • R. Cobb- +9.5M
  • Q. Rollins- +940K
  • K. Fackrell- +500K
Restructure:
  • J. Nelson- clears +3.5M
New Cap Number: ~30.5M

Sign:

• Cornerback: The Packers need a corner capable of starting in nickel defense immediately. I believe the player they target will depend on how Pettine assesses Randall. If he decides that he would like to use him primarily in the slot, then a corner with outside skills is necessary and I would pursue Kyle Fuller (est. 11-12M/season contract). If Pettine believes that Randall needs to stay primarily on the outside, the Packers could perhaps save some space by pursuing a player that thrives in the slot, but can play outside, like Bashaud Breeland (est. 9-10M/season contract).
  • Trey Burton, TE: Burton is a dynamic receiving threat who can work well in the slot. Cutting Cobb could easily be mitigated by bringing in a TE who works well in the slot, while also using Montgomery, Nelson, and Adams there on occasion. I'm estimating that his contract would average 7-8M.
  • Matt Moore, QB: A veteran makes the most sense to me for our QB2 problem. We could invest in a rookie to compete with Hundley, but there is no guarantee that said player would be a better backup from day one. What the Packers really need for now is a capable #2 who can keep the ship on course for a time should Rodgers miss a few games. I agree with those who have argued that it is too soon to invest high draft capital in Rodgers eventual replacement. I would estimate that Moore could be had for around 3M/season. I would argue that they should pay him on a two year deal, meaning that his contract would end before Rodgers' extension begins. He has a connection to Philbin.
  • Xavier Su'a-Filo, G: Su'a-Filo has been a bust in Houston, but he is one of the more physically gifted interior linemen in the NFL. I would love to bring him in on a cheap, one year contract and see what Campen might be able to do with him. I would guess he'd be available for 1-2M.
  • Trent Murphy, OLB: It's possible that the potential here means that Murphy is priced out of where I would like to sign him. However if injury/suspension issues suppress his value, I would happily pay him around 4M on a one year deal to see if the Packers can buy low and have it pay off.
Draft: Entering the draft, the above scenario would allow the Packers to be fairly wide open positionally. Certainly there would still be positions that I would want them to address in the first three rounds, but they would not be married to any particular one at #14. As of now, I am assuming that 3 QB's (at minimum), Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, Edmunds, and Fitzpatrick will for sure go in the first 13 picks (total of 8 players). That would mean that of the following, at least two would be on the board for the Packers: C. Ridley, WR, Alabama; V. Vea, DL, Washington; D. James, S, Florida State; D. Ward, CB, Ohio State; R. Smith, LB, Georgia; J. Jackson, CB, Iowa; E. Harold, ED, Boston College.

If Pettine feels that he would be able to run an effective nickel passage with both Josh Jones and Derwin James on the field, I think that could make for a strong selection. By all accounts, James is an alpha personality, has a high football IQ, puts in a ton of film work, and is a leader on the field. The Packers really lack a tone-setter and leader on the field to get the defense lined up on time. If he brought that, in addition to his formidable blend of talent and skill, he could help transform the defense. But I would be happy with any of the above. After round 1, let the draft come to you and find value where you need it.

As far as a Rodgers extension goes, I have no idea what that would or wouldn't do to the current cap. But I am confident that it could work along with the moves above given all of the space that will open up after this season.
Well thought out plan Dantes. Kudo’s to you. I especially like the idea of not being married to a particular position with particular draft picks. Want the team to increase overall team speed on both sides of the ball.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather not go bananas in FA or 1st pick in draft already having King and Randall as recent 1st rounders. How about bringing in Vontae Davis as a veteran presence for those guys on like a 1 year deal? He was dominant not too long ago.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd rather not go bananas in FA or 1st pick in draft already having King and Randall as recent 1st rounders. How about bringing in Vontae Davis as a veteran presence for those guys on like a 1 year deal? He was dominant not too long ago.

I like Vontae Davis in a lot of ways. He could end up being a value; I can easily see that. However, I think it’s ill-advised to count on him as a starter. He’s turning 30 and beginning to miss a lot of time. If they did that, I’d favor also drafting a corner fairly high.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like Vontae Davis in a lot of ways. He could end up being a value; I can easily see that. However, I think it’s I’ll-advised to count on him as a starter. He’s turning 30 and beginning to miss a lot of time. If they did that, I’d favor also drafting a corner fairly high.
I also think we need 2 Corners. Although this year’s FA is not top loaded, I’m beginning to feel like that’s ok because neither is our Cap space.
Realizing that there is going to be a high demand for the top couple of CB I think we avoid the 13M nightmare scenario. I’d also like to see a Veteran like Vontae. I think he’s at that age you can rent him for a short 2 years multi deal to keep his Cap hit relatively low, I’m thinking around a 10M+- on 2yr deal. He’s obviously not happy with the Colts and GB wouldn’t be a drastic move geographically. Philbin probably has inside ties if needed to initiate interest.
This year should provide a wealth of 2nd day talent at CB (and 3rd day projects) I’m watching a guy like Tarvarus McFadden and snatching him round 3. I’d use a 5th round Comp pick and 3rd round Comp pick to leverage him in the later 3rd round if necessary to move up some if he slides.
I’d like to save our traditional 3rd round pick for a decent TE.
Ideally several top WR prospects fall into the first half of round 2. I believe only 2 WRs are picked round 1 and I think it’s our chance to get a solid target for Aaron that can develop during the course of the 2018 season and be ready for a starting role 2019.
LB, WR, TE, CB

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts