I have a love/hate relationship with Sports Illustrated right now.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
First I see this on SI.com:
"Strange as it might sound at this late date, I talked to two club executives Tuesday who said it's not out of the question that LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson cracks the top five. That's right, the top five. Both No. 3 Kansas City and No. 5 Cleveland were mentioned as teams that conceivably could pull the trigger on a prospect who is widely considered the best 3-4 end in the draft."

Courtesy of Mr. Don Banks and his Inside the NFL column.

Then, I get my fresh copy of SI in the mail today and flip immediately to their mock and to my surprise, Tyson Jackson isn't a first round pick. Which is it SI?

The mock was done by Peter King, who also left Everette Brown out of the first round.

And for the record, King has us taking Andre Smith.

I just thought the wildly different points of view on Jackson were amusing.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and I bought the whole story.But then again, Raji DID smoke weed in college... And couldn't play one whole year because of grades... But mocking Andre Smith, a guy that's just the opposite of what TT is trying to do in GB, which is bring guys that have passion for football and are great professionals, is just insane. (If you think about it, Raji would'n exactly fit the mould... I still want him, though.)

Reaction score
Yeah, and I bought the whole story.But then again, Raji DID smoke weed in college... And couldn't play one whole year because of grades... But mocking Andre Smith, a guy that's just the opposite of what TT is trying to do in GB, which is bring guys that have passion for football and are great professionals, is just insane. (If you think about it, Raji would'n exactly fit the mould... I still want him, though.)

thats what i like about TT he picks class act players that can play football. if we wanted people with bad attitudes and have some talent i think we are just putting ourselves into position to look like the bears soon.:shake:

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting players with bad attitudes is a high risk, high reward.... sometimes. Lots of teams take gambles on players just so they can capitalize on their talents. Heck, just look at the teams that picked up TO over the years. They knew the risk, yet they wanted the rewards of his talents. (or lack their off at times... hi drops)

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams that draft players with high risk, THE RAIDERS, end up getting the sharp end of the stick more often than not. I am not singling out any teams, but THE RAIDERS do this all the time...they are the model "high risk" franchise.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It ain't that easy. He does loves 40 times, but when the time is impressive for the size of the player. Heyward-bay running a 4.30 isn't impressive. Michael Johnson running a 4.50 is.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al Davis does enjoy the deep bomb routes. He loves to call down from the Owners box and instruct the coach to unlease the hail mary.

I can't wait for that guy to give up his franchise. The NFL will be such a better place.

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Danielchile. Al loves the 40 times, Heyward Bay is GONE at 7 if he is still there. He doesn't care that he needs everything except a wide receiver, down the field passing obviously wins championships...wait I think I have been watching to many 70's NFL Films videos of the Raiders.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really thought that Al Davis would have learned with Rich Gannon during their unreal SuperBowl run. But then again, I think that brings up another debate. Does a great offense win championships or does a great defense?

Our good ol' friend Al is going with a good offensive that executes the deep pass on a consistent basis.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't see him taking Heyward-Bey. I think Cable, who he supposedly trusts, convinces him that it's a colossal reach. I think he takes Maclin. Better talent, plays faster than he ran, and a boom or bust pick, which Al seems to love.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First I see this on SI.com:
"Strange as it might sound at this late date, I talked to two club executives Tuesday who said it's not out of the question that LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson cracks the top five. That's right, the top five. Both No. 3 Kansas City and No. 5 Cleveland were mentioned as teams that conceivably could pull the trigger on a prospect who is widely considered the best 3-4 end in the draft."

Courtesy of Mr. Don Banks and his Inside the NFL column.

Then, I get my fresh copy of SI in the mail today and flip immediately to their mock and to my surprise, Tyson Jackson isn't a first round pick. Which is it SI?

The mock was done by Peter King, who also left Everette Brown out of the first round.

And for the record, King has us taking Andre Smith.

I just thought the wildly different points of view on Jackson were amusing.

I think you are overreacting. First off the issues for the SI magazine likely are several weeks in the making, writing the articles, arranging the advertisements, and editing. They probably were started to printing a week before you got it.

remember its a dead tree version, and the blog is a real time version. While it may have this weeks day on it, the news in it is likely several weeks old, and only this week have I begun to hear about Tyson Jackson moving up the charts at all. This is a VERY recent event.

You cannot expect a magazine that could take several days in the mail, to have news from days after it was sent, let alone, if you go back to the actual day of printing.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I get the magazine on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, and from what i've gathered over the 3 years i've gotten it is that Mondays must be printing day, because every issue has news from over the weekend. It surprises me sometimes how recent it can be.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts