I for one hope Capers gets a job elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, you're right. The defense was still very bad, but we stopped the run better than i thought we would. But there's obviously something wrong with the pass defense. But something happened between last season and this season, and i think it has more to do with than just the people we lost.

We stopped the run and we brought pressure. I saw Eli get his *** laid out several times. The bend but don't break was working. Unfortunately our offense couldn't be bothered to show up today.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the defense played like they did all year, except they stopped the run better.

The offense didnt come to play other than Donald Driver. Why did the only player who probably shouldnt be on team play better than everyone else?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something to remember- Our defense did not allow a single Giants first down in the entire 3rd quarter. Our offense did nothing with it.

Just some foot for thought.

OP
OP
Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point. Halfway there, yet swinging and missing.

The point is if the offense isn't clicking on all cylinders, we lose. Last year we could count on the defense to win @ the Bears when the O had an off day.

lol @ 3rd quarter. How about the other 3. How about that Hail Mary, that was pretty good huh?

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to know how many 3rd and, say, 7+ Eli converted to wide open receivers. When you know they're passing and there's still no one within 10 yards something is wrong.

On a positive note, we probably had the fewest pass interference calls in team history. Can't interfere with a pass if youre not there. Would have been happy to have a couple of those calls due to tight coverage.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers deserves alot of heat as well as Ted Thompson. But more than anything the Packers need to NOT start AJ Hawk and Peprah should not be a Green Bay Packer next season.
Thompson? Packers had a 15-1 season - this is the worst that they played all year. Its coaches and/or players here.

BillyBoy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish Capers the best, and Philbin. Outstanding talent and they deserve every opportunity that comes their way! :)

BoilerUp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What annoyed me the most was the continued use of a 3 man pass rush on 3rd and longs that clearly were not working.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't Capers have a history of doing well one year, then sucking the next? We are due for a great year in 2012.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't Capers have a history of doing well one year, then sucking the next? We are due for a great year in 2012.

He has a history of doing very well and then taking a head coaching job and sucking it up. Then being a DC again and doing well and taking another HC job and sucking it up. I was hoping he has finally popped his head outta his *** and decided to be a DC and have success like his counter part **** Labeau in Pittsburg!

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most overrated defensive coordinator in the history of our franchise.
Sorry but you have no idea what your talking about.

The best thing the Packers could do is buy Capers a house on a lake with a big boat and cabins for his family so he stays here 25 years like **** Labeau has done in Pittsburg where he is a living legend! There is a reason the Steelers defense is always good. Its **** Labeau and he learned everything he knows about the scheme he runs from Dom Capers!

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been able to figure this defense out all year long. Is this a case of Nature vs Nurture (talent drafted or coaching)? There really is no way this defense should be ranked #32 in the league considering some of the talent and coaching available on this team, but here we are and this game didn't prove the rankings wrong!

This defense has 5 players drafted in the 1st round (Hawk-disappointing play for draft position, Pickett/Woodson-both have high mileage on their tires and Raji/Matthews-most recent D1's). Collins is a D2 but we unfortunately had to replace him with Peprah who is a D5. Burnett is a D3 but we can all agree that he just completed his rookie year this year. The other names that have popped up as starters are as follows: D6-Bishop, Wynn, Walden; D7-Jones, Wilson and finally Free Agents-T.Williams, Shields, Zombo.

Shouldn't this defense be better with 5 players coming from the 1st round (raises questions about coaching)? Or are we counting on too much from the bottom end of the draft to complete the starting line up (raises questions about talent drafted/obtained)?

I'm not quite sure that this mess is all coaching. Before showing Capers the door; I would take a long hard look at the talent on this defense. When I was done looking, Raji, Matthews and Bishop might be safe at their positions and Pickett/Woodson would earn respect for being a veteran presence but everyone else would be fighting for a starting position on this team. I see this team missing Jenkins and Collins a lot!

However if we were not able to maximize defensive effort due to inadequate coaching; then steps should be made to correct these deficiencies. I'm not in favor of wholesale firing of the coaching staff when Capers may have been coping as best as he could with the hand (roster of players) that he was dealt.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give Capers alot of credit for last years team and alot of blame for this years team. There is something fundamentally wrong with his coverages. Every single quarterback torched this team this year....even Josh ****ing McCown was able to move the ball with a garbage group of receivers. Jarrett Bush somehow was the only defensive player that looked improved this year and that is just mind blowing.

I think the turnovers, the pressure put on other teams by the offense and the few really good defensive players really masked some glaring weaknesses and made guys look far better than they actually were. For example....

Tramon Williams- God awful this year. He was consistently 10 yds off the ball, not physical (not that he can hit anyone when he is never near anyone) and he was always turned around the wrong way. Every single OC in the league knew to throw at him at all times. He was historically bad.
CJ Wilson- who? exactly. A complete non factor and waste of space.

Peprah- While he is a backup, he is a really bad backup and I can not imagine MD Jennings having been worse. This position needs to be addressed as no one knows if Collins will even be allowed to suit up again.

Guys that don't warrant comments or a roster spot. Walden, Zombo, CJ Wilson

Shields- He didn't get better this year but he also didn't really get worse. I would hope a new secondary coach that could actually help these guys improve would join the staff next season.

What is ultimately frustrating is that it was blatantly obvious that other OC's around the league made adjustments to attack this defense and Capers did not do a ******** thing to counter adjust. He just arrogantly sat on the exact same game plan and got burned every single week. Regardless of the offense being mostly at fault for the loss it does not excuse the awful defense he put on the field every single week this season. The offense picked up the D 15 out of 17 weeks this year and the D couldn't do **** when the offense needed to be picked up those 2 weeks.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The personell didnt change that much from last year to this year to justify going from the 5th ranked defense to the worst in the league. That makes me think it had to have something to do with the DC

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The personell didnt change that much from last year to this year to justify going from the 5th ranked defense to the worst in the league. That makes me think it had to have something to do with the DC

Collins, Jenkins? Two HUGE cogs..

I said it all year.. they were the reason

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ I guess, but if Jenkins was such a big time player, why did they get rid of him?

And did they over estimate how good Jenkins' backup was before they got rid of him? otherwise, how could they let him go and not fill that void?

Not criticizing your response, just genuinely curious.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
^ I guess, but if Jenkins was such a big time player, why did they get rid of him?

And did they over estimate how good Jenkins' backup was before they got rid of him? otherwise, how could they let him go and not fill that void?

Not criticizing your response, just genuinely curious.

They figured Neal would fill the void..Then he got hurt..So yeah maybe they did overestimate how good he was..

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No defense=no championship its that simple. Should Capers go? Im thinking if the Raiders want him then take him. Letting Cullin Jenkins go was a bigger loss than they thought so heres hoping they can draft well or pick up a free agent.
Hats off to JJ Watt for his rookie year!

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Capers is not the problem. Capers is a good defensive coordinator. But when you have a bunch of scrubs who can't get pressure and can't cover, it's not his problem.

We have no pass rush, and therefore no pass coverage.

It's like an architect being forced to build with Lego's.

A few good Free Agent signings and Draft picks and we'll have a solid defense again.

We have players out there who fail to communicate with each other, we have guys slipping, tripping over their own feet, whiffing on tackles, LB's going in to blitz that pick up blocks and can't get off them, or guys on their way to the QB falling down or are too slow to get there in time.

It's definitely not Capers who should be taking all the blame.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, some of you sound like absolute morons. Overreact much?

I'm just as let down as the next guy, but let's take a deep breath for a bit.

The reason to move on from Jenkins was simple: Jenkins was always a step away from injury. He had a history of injury for most of his career with us, which included missing 5 games his final season with us. His health last season was an anomaly, and it was bad luck that Neal was lost for as long as he was. I don't think he was ever fully healthy this season.

I've said before and I think it bears repeating- The loss of Nick Collins played a much bigger role in our defensive planning than we probably realize. Having his veteran talent and savvy in the back field opens up a lot more doors for Capers to get creative. Without him and he's pretty limited in what he can do creatively.

I agree we need to beef up our pass rush this off-season, but I disagree that we need to trade up to do so, unless there's a legitimate difference maker that can be had for a reasonable trade.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
If there is a Von Miller in this draft, then we should definitely trade up to get him. Upshaw I think might be that guy and probably won't be around late in the first round.

I think the guys in the front office know what the issue is and I think they will address it during the offseason. I just hope TT doesn't draft another Justin Harrell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts