I expect that many of you will be pleased...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rumors are flying hot and heavy, but some insiders are saying that Bates was offered the job this morning. They are also citing scheduled interviews with other prospects being cancelled as evidence that the decision has been made.

Like you, we will have to wait and see if these sources are correct -- if they are -- congratulations to Jim Bates.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
The rumors are flying hot and heavy, but some insiders are saying that Bates was offered the job this morning. They are also citing scheduled interviews with other prospects being cancelled as evidence that the decision has been made.

Like you, we will have to wait and see if these sources are correct -- if they are -- congratulations to Jim Bates.

Here is something that a former scout who is pretty connected wrote today -- I just saw it a few minutes ago:

this morning I heard that Jim Bates was afforded the job and he accepted. It is being said on the Sports Rumor slot on the radio in Houston

I also have to believe what I read in the WSJ about Kirk Ferents so it is hot and heavy right about now.

Who knows we might be seeing a dark horse appear suddenly out of the pack. Who knows it might just be Ken Whisenhunt for all we know.

As with the Sherman firing I think Ted Thompson is going back and forth and does not know for sure what he wants to do. A couple of days before he made his mind up about Sherman he was for certain he was gokng to lkeep Mike on as the HC and then changed his mind. WHO KNOWS MAYBE THAT IS HAPPENING HERE

Personally I thiink the ace in the sleeve issue is this If Thompson goes with ayone else but Bates he will most likely lose Bates as well. I think Bates has told Thompson he does not want to stick around as the DC - Hoiw do I know this I DO NOT KNOW! It is just a hunch of mine. I think Bates wants to be head coach so bad he might have placed the issue at the feet of thompson.

This could be what is driving Thompson right now,. Does he want to force a DC on his new head coach who might not fit with Bates? Does he want to risk that ?

I know if I was named the new head coach i would want my own people in there and would bristle at being told yes you are the head coach but I have your DC and your RB coach already on board. I might not accept the job on those premises

I think if Bates is the man, it increases the likelihood of Favre returning -- just a hunch -- but one I think is based on the fact that the two of them developed a very mutually respectful and friendly relationship over the past season.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we still have Rossley? if not what are our choices for both coordinators.
If Bates is hired who do they have in mind to replace him?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Bruce, but it may depend on whom Bates chooses as his OC. I predict that it won't take long for JimBates to contact Brett Favre and "feel him out" about next season and possibly the offensive coordinator. At least I am hoping it will go that way.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fvre4mvp said:

Those are questions that Bates would have been asked (not told) in his interview process -- just like all the prospects interviewed.

Technically the Packers still have Rossley until Jan. 31, but it is simply a formality. Once the new HC is named he will probably be fired or retained (though I believe that to be a long shot)

Coaches hire their assistants -- they may take suggestions from GM's but the responsibility in the end goes back to the HC.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DC - IDK..

OC - Mooch so Favre has a better chance of staying :) (or maybe Mooch as an assistant HC)

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sources: Mariucci likely to sit next season outESPN.com

Brett Favre's agent said in a television interview that the quarterback is more likely to return for another season if Steve Mariucci were named the Packers' next coach.

Mariucci was Favre's quarterbacks coach from 1992-1995.

However, Mariucci coaching the Packers is a long shot, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported. The former Lions and 49ers coach isn't on the Packers' list of candidates and sources close to Mariucci say that while he loves Favre, he's not prepared to re-enter the NFL fray again at this stage.

"I think that would have a huge determination on Brett's decision," Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook told WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee. "They do enjoy a special relationship."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2284708

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be pleased as all hell if Jim Bates landed to HC job. The guy flat-out knows how to coach and get the best from his players, does not seem to play favorites and puts only those who perform out on the field...regardless of stature, seems to put accountability very high on his list, and possesses an energy and outward enthusiasm that is hard to deny.

If he should land the gig, it can certainly help in the overall decision making of one Brett Favre....I hear he has a lot of respect for Bates that some have argued he never held for Mike Sherman from a football standpoint.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I would be pleased as all hell if Jim Bates landed to HC job. The guy flat-out knows how to coach and get the best from his players, does not seem to play favorites and puts only those who perform out on the field...regardless of stature, seems to put accountability very high on his list, and possesses an energy and outward enthusiasm that is hard to deny.

If he should land the gig, it can certainly help in the overall decision making of one Brett Favre....I hear he has a lot of respect for Bates that some have argued he never held for Mike Sherman from a football standpoint.

I agree with you up to the point of your last sentence -- it runs exactly contrary to everything that Brett Favre has ever stated. But that is water under the bridge -- if the Packer nation is to unite it is time to move on beyond bashing a former member of the Packer family.

Mike Sherman is a former coach who won three division titles and took his squads to the playoffs 4 of 6 seasons. He should be respected and honored for his contributions as a Former head coach who is now a part of Packer lore.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not bashing Sherman....I am merely repeating what has been speculated by several outlets in recent weeks. Favre is as old schools as it gets, and is the son of a coach. He is not going to go public with any concerns he might have with a coach.....but will simply bite his lip and do what he is told to do. This is how he was raised by the old man, and this is (thankfully) who he remains today....the antithesis of the modern athlete!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I am not bashing Sherman....I am merely repeating what has been speculated by several outlets in recent weeks. Favre is as old schools as it gets, and is the son of a coach. He is not going to go public with any concerns he might have with a coach.....but will simply bite his lip and do what he is told to do. This is how he was raised by the old man, and this is (thankfully) who he remains today....the antithesis of the modern athlete!

Speculated is the key word here. Like I said it runs contrary to every single Brett Favre utterance on record. I can speculate that everything someone says is the opposite, that they really said the opposite to be nice or respectful -- does that make it credible???

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce what you SPECULATE about Bates, I really hope it is true not mere speculation I will be very, very, very happy to have Master Bates a sHC of the Pack !!!!! He has my vote !!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c'mon digs.....it was one last departing shot. And while I don't agree with it, I like your style. Get that last stinger in.

Hey those outlets wouldn't happen to be FireMikeSherman.com, MikeShermanHasaFatass.com and my personal favorite [email protected] (nonprofit)?

Seriously, I don't think Brett Favre has ever met a coach he didn't like, for the same reasons you have stated digs.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm listening to WTMJ over the internet at work right now and they've reported nothing thus far. Bill Michels should be on the Green House in about an hour or so so hopefully there'll be some info by then.

MSMOLLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm listening to the Peter Brown show on WSSP - an all sports station in Milwaukee and haven't heard anything either. If I hear any news I'll let you guys know !

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
Bruce what you SPECULATE about Bates, I really hope it is true not mere speculation I will be very, very, very happy to have Master Bates a sHC of the Pack !!!!! He has my vote !!!!

I want Bates too but if we have to put up with this "Master Bates" crap, I'd just as soon see them go in a different direction.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hiring of Bates of HC would create stability for the defense, which has been sorely lacking the last few years. I'm sure Bates will promote one of his assistants that came with him from Miami as the next DC.

So now I'm very curious about who he has in mind for our next OC. Will we stay with some version of the "west coast"/GB offense? Will we go a completely different direction on our offensive schemes?

No matter what, if Favre returns he will need to learn a new offense -- whether it be just terminology or completely new scheme. Right now I don't think that would be a problem for Favre. When it comes to the west coast style, the OC should be constantly coming up with new plays that must be learned. No matter what, it will be a completely new playbook.

At this point I believe that Favre wants to win again and he knows the organization must make some changes to do get back to winning. The key to Favre returning is making decisions toward the Packers making a playoff run this season, not just 2 years down the road. If it's rebuild and wait time, then we may have seen the last of Brett.

MSMOLLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key to Favre returning is making decisions toward the Packers making a playoff run this season, not just 2 years down the road.[quote:f956iq2o]
[/quote:f956iq2o]

I agree - I would think that he is hoping that we make a playoff run this season and not have to wait for 2 years for the other pieces to fall into place

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Chamuko said:

I want Bates too but if we have to put up with this "Master Bates" crap, I'd just as soon see them go in a different direction.

Haha that is Chamuko for you lol...

MSMOLLY said:
What do you mean "master bates" ?
:Hands Molly a "perverted think like a man" hat:
Put that on and read it again, tell me what you see :D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fvre4mvp said:

i read bates was headcoach and mooch was going to be OC!!

Members online

Latest posts