I don't understand this "lockout" talk

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players are getting screwed so bad. People just don't realize. People apparently don't care about the health and well-being of players. I support the players, not the owners. People sit here and blame players for being greedy when they aren't. If I broke my hand doing my job, I would fully expect my employer to pay for it. Yet the nfl won't do so. Just because you want football next year (everyone does including me), don't overlook the players... I'm kind of appalled how many people on here seem to be doing so.

Yeah, you're wrong about the players "Getting screwed so badly." Every single one of them went into their careers knowing full well the risks they were taking to their personal health, but THEY CHOSE to do it anyway. They make a PERSONAL CHOICE to risk their bodies by playing football. This is simply not the same as you involuntarily breaking your hand at work. These guys go into the game knowing full well that they could injure themselves, possibly even permanently, on any given play.

Sorry, but while I don't wish injury upon anyone, I don't lose sleep over injuries either. It's what the guys signed up for when they decided to make football their career rather than a hobby.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Yeah, you're wrong about the players "Getting screwed so badly." Every single one of them went into their careers knowing full well the risks they were taking to their personal health, but THEY CHOSE to do it anyway. They make a PERSONAL CHOICE to risk their bodies by playing football. This is simply not the same as you involuntarily breaking your hand at work. These guys go into the game knowing full well that they could injure themselves, possibly even permanently, on any given play.

Sorry, but while I don't wish injury upon anyone, I don't lose sleep over injuries either. It's what the guys signed up for when they decided to make football their career rather than a hobby.

I said the same thing earlier in this thread. One thing I didn't note is that almost all of these guys have college degrees. If they didn't choose to play football they could have chosen the career of their degree. I don't buy the "short life span" "short career bs either."

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said the same thing earlier in this thread. One thing I didn't note is that almost all of these guys have college degrees. If they didn't choose to play football they could have chosen the career of their degree. I don't buy the "short life span" "short career bs either."

You know, I was talking to some folks at the Football Pros site about the "Short career of an NFL Player" thing, and we came to the conclusion that it's a ******** stat used to try and foster support for the players.

The reason why it looks like the average career of an NFL player is so short is because you have a significantly large number of people at the bottom end of the roster who only last a year, maybe two tops. These are people who don't see the field but for maybe a couple plays a game a couple times a year. This greatly skews the "Average lifespan" stat downward.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Damn, SpartaChris is snappin off in this thread, lol.
I have to say, I was misinformed...
I work in a wood shop and make less than 30K and there's no health insurance...Should somebody cry for me too? Ah, NO! Im here on my own free will. I make little cash, but I spend little cash, I make it work. Im pretty happy with my life. I use my ******* head when I make decisions...****, I wish I had their millions of problems ($)...Give me a ******* break! Baseball struck(? word) in 94 or so, and I was just a kid (11). I still harbor a ****** taste in my mouth from that. I hope for the sake of the league they get their little petty differences figured out before they all of a sudden have NO job, NO income. Ah, I'd love to see the diva's, for 1 month, make it work on 50k annual income.
Cry me a river.........

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not so much about snapping off as I hate when people play the "Woe is me" card.

The practice squad guys make $5200 a week, minimum. That's $83,200/year to sit on the friggin practice squad. Obviously it's not that simple as players are cut all the time depending on team needs, but still, it's great work if you can get it.

The minimum NFL salary this year is what, $350,000 just to be on the active roster? That's approximately 7 times more than the national median household income. While I certainly don't have a problem with players earning that kind of money for essentially being a glorified practice squadder, it's hard for me to be too sympathetic towards the players. You want health insurance? Pay for it. God knows you make more than enough money, should you choose to budget properly.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
NFL, NFLPA agree to extend the deadline for filing collusion case | ProFootballTalk

“The NFL and NFLPA have agreed to extend the deadline for the players’ to file a collusion claim,” NFLPA spokesman George Atallah said in a statement posted on Twitter and also sent via e-mail to PFT. “This agreement does not prevent the NFLPA from filing a collusion claim at a future date. We are continuing to work toward a new CBA that will be good for players, owners and fans.” If the relationship between the two sides was as acrimonious as their public comments would suggest, the NFL wouldn’t have agreed to extend the deadline — and the NFLPA wouldn’t have agreed to defer filing the claim. Instead, the two sides came together and realized that it’s in their mutual best interests (and in the interests of the game) to avoid a collusion claim and the damage that would be done by it.
In our view, the union would not have agreed to refrain from unleashing a device aimed at pressuring the NFL to work toward getting a labor deal completed if the union didn’t believe that adequate progress already is being made.

Forward progress.

NFLLockout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to address the concerns about the "woe is me" card that SpartaChris brought up. Just wanted to be sure you all understood the players don't want more $$ from the new CBA. It was the owners who opted out of the previous CBA and they are the ones keeping the players off the field next year.

To get a good read on the players' side, you all should read this ESPN special commentary (sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5995362) by the NFLPA's George Atallah if you haven't already. Good luck against the Eagles this weekend!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, the owners exercised THEIR RIGHT to opt out early, as was agreed upon in the last CBA. Stop trying to make it more than it is.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to address the concerns about the "woe is me" card that SpartaChris brought up. Just wanted to be sure you all understood the players don't want more $$ from the new CBA. It was the owners who opted out of the previous CBA and they are the ones keeping the players off the field next year.

To get a good read on the players' side, you all should read this ESPN special commentary (sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5995362) by the NFLPA's George Atallah if you haven't already. Good luck against the Eagles this weekend!

I want football in 2011. Go Pack

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until the teams and the NFL pay for their own stadiums I'm not going to pick a side. Both are greedy.

+1000

Millionaires vs Billionaires, both expecting the fans to pay for whatever they come up with. The money is ruining the Game, as you would expect from the root of all evil.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MONEY itself is NOT the root of all evil. The LOVE of money is.

Money is simply an object, and having it doesn't make you any more evil than having a coffee table. However, it is the things you might do to obtain it that could make you evil.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"MONEY itself is NOT the root of all evil. The LOVE of money is."

Good point, though many in today's society sees greed as a virtue, and charity as a deadly sin. Very sad.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, think about it for a minute- If it weren't for greed, at least in some part, most modern day advancements would never have been realized, at least not yet. There would be no lap tops, smart phones, hybrid cars or Google. There would also be fewer jobs paying enough for people to live on. There would be no pay raises, no investments, no advancements in medicine. So greed can in fact be good. Everything in moderation though.

Where greed isn't good is in cases like Bernie Madhoff, where the greed is designed to only benefit one person and has no benefit to anyone else.

And while being charitable is noble, and more people should do it, FORCED charity is patently unfair, and un-American in a lot of ways. Thomas Jefferson said it best:

“To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.”

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Well, think about it for a minute- If it weren't for greed, at least in some part, most modern day advancements would never have been realized, at least not yet. There would be no lap tops, smart phones, hybrid cars or Google. There would also be fewer jobs paying enough for people to live on. There would be no pay raises, no investments, no advancements in medicine. So greed can in fact be good. Everything in moderation though.

Where greed isn't good is in cases like Bernie Madhoff, where the greed is designed to only benefit one person and has no benefit to anyone else.

And while being charitable is noble, and more people should do it, FORCED charity is patently unfair, and un-American in a lot of ways. Thomas Jefferson said it best:
It could be argued that if it weren't for greed, Capitalism wouldn't work.

NFLLockout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of your stance on the lockout, I wanted to direct your attention to Let Us Play day tomorrow (Tuesday). There will be a ton of current/former players and other NFLPA execs leading twitter chats/ustream chats/etc tomorrow to help educate fans about the lockout. If you have any questions for them or want to stay up to date with the goings on of the whole situation, I suggest you follow along on twitter (@NFLLockout, @NFLPA) and on Facebook (facebook.com/NFLLockout)

Be sure to RSVP to the FB event and check out the info section for more details from NFLPA President Kevin Mawae.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't want to start up a new thread as this is consistent with current topic:

Players are asking our help to block the lockout by signing a petition. I found the link at my local Philly news station, 6ABC. Included is the link for the website to sign it. Just thought some of you may be interested in doing this. Anything for football!!!!!!

6abc

NFL players are taking to Twitter, directing followers to a new website that pleads their case in the ongoing labor dispute with owners.

The site, NFLlockout.com, is hosting an online petition that will help fans show support for the game.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Didn't want to start up a new thread as this is consistent with current topic:

Players are asking our help to block the lockout by signing a petition. I found the link at my local Philly news station, 6ABC. Included is the link for the website to sign it. Just thought some of you may be interested in doing this. Anything for football!!!!!!

6abc
I hate to say it, but as much as I love football, I just still don't see the players side of this debate. Signing that petition is essentially taking a side just to get to an endpoint, without really caring much about the issue at hand. I just don't see the justification in players asking for money, when teams with open books are clearly losing profits.

NFLLockout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Kitten thanks for posting the petition. Hope you guys have taken the time to check it out, or at least check out some of the news posted at that site. It's a good resource if you hope to stay up to date on the labor discussions.

@Incubes the players are not asking for more money. They are in fact perfectly fine with playing under the current agreement. This is not a strike, it's a lockout. The owners are locking the players out of their jobs. So the petition is designed to show the owners how much the players and fans hate the idea of a lockout and want to see NFL football in 2011.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Incubes It is infact the other way around, the team owners are asking for more money from the TV contracts. They want the first 2 billion dollars from about 9 or so that they earned last year. The 9 billion gets divided right now between the owners and the players! It is about 60% players and 40% owners right now. The owners want more and the players are asking the owners to open their books. NBA went through the same thing and showed that most of the teams are loosing money but for some reason NFL owners don't want to do it (my guess is that they are not loosing money that's why).

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh please, stop trying to spin this for more than it really is. What the owners want is a more than deserved give back from the players. The NFLPA already admitted the owners got a raw deal last time, so the owners want something a bit more equitable, especially when owners are responsible for paying for things like stadium expansions, business creation and development.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As I understand it, the owners currently get $1B "off the top" and they want $2B. Now I'm not an arbitrator but how 'bout if they settle for about $1.5B?

BTW, something about the current deal I’ve never understood is why do draftees, particularly at the top of the draft, get such huge contracts? That’s not in the interest of the majority of the members of the NFLPA or the owners, of course. As part of the new CBA why not reduce rookie contracts and increase minimum salaries of vets and the benefits of retired players? In return have rookies sign for just 3-4 years so those deserving can really “cash in” then.

NFLLockout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, something about the current deal I’ve never understood is why do draftees, particularly at the top of the draft, get such huge contracts? That’s not in the interest of the majority of the members of the NFLPA or the owners, of course. As part of the new CBA why not reduce rookie contracts and increase minimum salaries of vets and the benefits of retired players? In return have rookies sign for just 3-4 years so those deserving can really “cash in” then.

The players have actually proposed a proven performance plan like you suggested. It would reward the proven vets and save $$ for the owners. Unfortunately the owners turned down the deal, seeking more cash from the players. This Yahoo Sports article titled "The Real Story Behind the Rookie Wage Scale" explains it all pretty well. What do you guys think about that proposed plan?

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two Questions
1. Where does the Packers organization fit into this since they do not have a sole owner?
2. Would there even be talks of a lockout if each and every NFL team was community owned such as the Packers?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts