1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I Don't Get It

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Mackie2001, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Mackie2001

Mackie2001 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of years ago, I took off talkin' in all forums for five months. After which, I came back refreshed and ready to go. It was mostly because of the idiots trying to make trouble that I left in the first place. I used to really like all of the variety on PackerNews forum, as long as it was civil. Most of the old-timers have moved on or quit altogether for any number of reasons. I guess maybe they've grown out of it. That's how I'm beginning to feel. I'm looking for reasons to continue but can't come up with any. Seems a guy should be doin' things more productive than talking about a game. In the scheme of things, why should it matter who wins a game?

The Packers have been a passion of mine for a very long time, even during the leanest of years. What bothers me some is that I think I'm losing interest, not only in football, but all sports...'cept maybe college hockey with the WCHA and NCAA playoffs coming next month. The Twins did well last year but baseball is really boring and there are just too many games. Fishing will be starting in a couple of months but I'm don't fish that much, even though I really enjoy just getting out on the lake or sittin' on the bank of river, just relaxing and takin' in nature.

Seems to me that with the limited time we have here on this planet we should be doing things to make it better. But, the polticians have made a mockery out of the important issues and it's not about solving problems anymore, it's about getting elected. Their motivation? Who knows? Probably something as frivilous as power or the fame of that usually goes with the likes of rock stars and actors.

That brings up another question. Why do we hold rock stars, actors and athletes in such high esteem? I don't get it. Their lives are often in shambles and certainly they are no one that any sane person should look up to. They've got the world by the tail but seem the most unhappiest of all people and push harder and harder for bigger and bigger thrills. Think about it? How many drugs can you take, how many women can you take to bed, how many dangerous things can you do or how much trouble can you get into before it all becomes commonplace and boring. You know, too much of anything, makes one a dull boy...or girl. Maybe that's why they keep pushing the envelope...because they become bored....until finally, they lose it all...sometimes, including their lives. Where does this fascination we have about them come from? What spell do they hold over us. I don't get it. They live a life full of abuses and we want to know every thing we can find out about them. Meanwhile, our kids look up to them and follow their lead. They are the role models of today's children who learn the morals, values and principles from day care providers and teenaged babysitters. What's wrong with that picture? I don't get it.

So, maybe I'll just move on and look for something more meaningful. The season, free agency, the draft and all the camps just don't do it for me anymore. Life is an ocean and all forms of entertainment is a thimble. Football is only a small drop in that thimble. Why should we limit ourselves to that. Besides the money, why should we be served with all the entertainment we can stomach. That can't be what it's all about. That can't be why we are here...to be entertained? Has leisure become the new "Opiate of the masses," while the real world passes us by? I don't get it.

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Well, i can only talk for myself, but i get joy out of coming here and making jokes. There isn't enough laughter in the world, and sometimes that can lift someone up thats having a bad day. I like to make people laugh, and because i'm sick so often, i don't get out much. You CAN be a positive influence in people's lives, even on the computer.
    I have been able to help people, and have been helped by people that i never would have met had i not come here.
    If you have the means to be able to go out and help people face to face, thats a much better alternative. But for some, this means is the only contact they are able to have with the outside world.
    Of course on the puter, you can run into bad people too. I have had that happen as well.

3. Mackie2001

Mackie2001 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    cheesey,

Thanks for the response, you made a difference again. You didn't make me laugh but you made me think. The problem to which I referred is my problem and I didn't mean to suggest it applied to everyone.

I hope you're feeling well and that whatever it is that makes you feel ill will cured.

Mackie

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Mackie, I didn't take it that you meant it to apply to everyone. I wasn't bothered at all by your statement. Even i wonder often whether or not my being here makes any difference or not. I wonder if i just dropped dead whether or not anyone would even notice.
    But we all have a perpose, even if it isn't obvious to us.
    I believe alot of people probably feel like you stated in your post, and maybe this will help them through what they might be going through at the time.
    As far as my health, there is no known cure, and there doesn't seem to be anyone out there in any hurry to find a cure. Thats the problem with having a somewhat rare disease.........theres no MONEY in it for drug companies to find a cure, so they go onto more profitable things.
    I am thankful that i can still do things, i'm not in a wheel chair, i can still hear and see, and can still do somethings i used to do. I look around me, and i see some that have it so much worse, and it keeps my perspective a little better.

5. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, some heavy stuff there Mackie and Cheesy. Mackie, I think you have hit upon some points and questions that I don't believe will ever be answered. I myself have asked the same things....why do we pay so much to see players who think they are God's gift to the world, when all they are is a drop in the bucket of life.

If we all put our finger in a glass of water and pull it out fast, how long does that hole stay there where our finger was? Not very damn long. That's how fast our lives go, and how fast we are replaced. But somewhere in that split second did we make a difference in someones lives? I can guarantee that each and everyone one of us has....we may not know it...but we have.

Mackie, you were a topnotch contributor on the other forum I was on...we even bantered back and forth...and that made a difference to me. Someone actually cared about what I might have to say. Good, bad or ugly.

And for Cheesey...what can I say. I met you last summer and I consider you a true friend. Your humor and love of life and people is unbelievable. For those of you who haven't met Cheesy all I can say is you are missing out on really knowing a great guy.

As for me, I've learned long ago that there is more to life than the Packers, Brewers, Bucks or whatever team we may cheer for. I cheer for these teams but if they lose, so what. There's always the next game.

And finally, I'm sick of snow. 61 inches at my house now. Bah, Humbug.

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Bob......first........61 inches of snow!?!?! (I don't feel so bad now!!!) :thumbsup:
    And.......i want to thank you for all you said about me. I guess we, as individuals, often don't see what others see in us. I can say the same things about you! I had such a great time just sitting and talking with you face to face! Nothing can replace that kind of interaction. And the wonderful things you sent to me..........you did things that were not necessary. Yet you just did it out of the kindness of your heart!
    I have met others on here......... Ryan,Trippster, 4packgirl, Heather and Edder, and can honestly say they are some of the best people i have ever had the honor of meeting.
    Plus coming in contact with SO many great people here, plus "rival" fans like Vikesrule has been wonderful. I wish i could meet ALL of these people face to face! It would be so great to be able to actually TALK! (Plus, they would see that i'm JUST as "Cheesey" in real life as on here! Just ask Trippster about that!!!)LOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao:

7. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It was an honor meeting you to Cheesy, so glad it worked out that you could come to our hotel, even though I was blowing circuits trying to get my hair dry..LOL..

Just remember everyone we are all put on this earth for a reason, sometimes we dont know what that reason is, but if you just sit down and take a good look at your life you will find out what that reason is....I believe I am here because: I am a good Mom to my son, also I try to be a great wife although sometimes I need a slap..LOL..I am a good sister and good daughter. I try to help people anytime I can, I also try and help animals. At my job there are these two doggies that their Dad walks, he walks them past my work so when I am out using the blower for leaves in the front of the property these two dogs always come by me to see me...then one day I see one of them by my office door. I left him into my office with my assistant and I know where these two dogs live, so I went walked to their home to tell them their dog had gotton out. But to me it was so special cause the dog made its way to see me...made my day that I could help this doggie...but you see we all do good things...

8. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, thanks for being here at Packer Forum. If I did not like you folks I would not be hanging around paying attention to what you say.

9. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    GROUP HUG!!! :cheerleader: Everyone.....no holding out.

Cheesy....I got home yesterday and my wife tells me to look out the over Lolo Creek Canyon towards Lolo Peak (10,000'). I'm looking and looking and then see this bright object sailing up at a snow field and....wham! big cloud of snow and a few seconds later..avalance! The FS was firing howitzer shells at avalance fields as with all the heavy snow we've had the past week it is pretty dangerous. They use tracer type shells.
    It's kind of strange watching the shell go up, see the puff of snow, then several seconds later the boom, then see the crack develop and down she comes.
    Nature is pretty awsome. :santa:

10. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, include me in that group hug.
    It would be great if we could have a packerforum get together in Green Bay sometime. It would be interesting to meet all you people and party together preferably during training camp when there is no snow.

I'm so sick of snow I could puke. We have had 138 inches to date and this is a lean year. We regularly record over 200 inches up here in Michigans Upper Peninsula.
    I've gone into my winter depression mode and if I didn't have my dog that wants to run, I wouldn't even want to go outside. Moving this white s##t from place to place is getting real old.

11. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you yooper. Maybe we could find a way to send some of this white stuff to those on this forum who come on with..."well, it's down to 70 today. We might have to turn on the heat." May a blizzard hit Southern California. That we make for some pretty funny driving videos.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    YOOOOPEY!!!! Haven't seen you in a while my friend! Where have you been???
    I'm looking forward to springtime myself! I've had enough of winter!
    I wish Al Gore was right! A little global warming would make living in Wisconsin a little easier!

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Now THAT would make some GREAT video! Do you have a video camera?
    Tracer bullets are pretty neat. My friend was in the Army, and had a few of them.

14. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Because they're so scarce. They have unique skills that very few have, and these skills are in very high demand. That's basic economics.

Athletes aren't just a "drop in the bucket of life" any more or less than anyone else. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that athletes are more important than anyone else in the world.

Now before you get offended and lash out at me, bear with me. At least read what I have to say before you go on an angry tirade.

The most watched things on television are sporting events. The Super Bowl, World Cup, and Olympics generate more television ratings than anything else. With television ratings comes ad revenue, billions of dollars of it. This ad revenue is invested back in the league for the most part, paying off debts and building more for the clubs. Also, that money makes it's way into the pockets of a lot of families. There are hundreds of thousands of little guys that work behind the scenes for these sports organizations that support their families through this. Sure there are some guys that get rich that don't really deserve it, but that will come with anything that is beneficial to people (the chairperson of the United Way makes 400k a year in salary.)

In addition, these hundreds of millions of people that watch these events do so because it's entertaining to them. You can say this isn't a big deal, but that would be completely untrue. People need a distraction from the stresses of their lives, and what better way to relieve that stress than enjoying a 2 hour soccer game or a 3 hour football game?

Sports also give us something to rally around and a reason to create bonds with people. There are probably 2 dozen or so people that I consider to be important in my life, but I would have had no connection with them were it not for the love we share for the Packers, Brewers, Bucks, or Manchester United.

Also, there are literally tens of thousands that are now making more money than you and I because of their athletic talents. I'd be willing to bet that a significant percentage of those people would not have lived either a financially or emotionally successful life (and in many cases both) had they not been offered the chance to play professional sports.

I could go on for pages about this subject, but I'll cut it off here. If anyone wants to have a discussion about this, you've got my contact info.

15. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey can I come to the Packerforum get together ?
    I'll be easy to recognize, the only one in purple!
    I'll bring the Lutefisk.

And ya Cheesey, I would be my pleasure to meet you. You are a unique person, and cheesedom would a much less place without you.
    Actually, it would interesting to meet all of you.

I have several friends that are Packer Fans, and I have yet to figure out why mostly intelligent people are cheeseheads. :razz:

And Mackie, the questions that you have raised are very good ones. Several of which I have asked myself.
    I sometimes think that people are like lemmings.

kmac, that is very good perspective. In comparison to the movie industry and movie stars of the 1930's, world-wide depression, high unemployment, little money, yet the movies thrived. Why? For a lot of the same reasons that you mentioned.

My reason to exist is simple. To search out Packer Fans wherever they may be found, and enlighten them as to the grevious errors of their ways! :thumbsup:

16. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Bob!! I would welcome some snow here, but only on the days I dont work, it would be crazy around here driving in the white stuff, people here cant even drive when its raining out. I sometimes miss the four seasons of WI. But I must admit, it is nice in the winter time not having to worry about shoveling out a driveway or scraping your windshield. Now before you guys climb all over this, I spent 36 years of my life in WI so I have shoveled out my share and I have scraped lots of ice off windshields. Guess I am alittle spoiled living here now with the great weather. But I would give anything to be living back in WI...

17. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heathie,
    I know you lived in Wisconsin so you're okay with the snow. What's funny and scary is watching people who have NEVER driven in snow try to manuever around. We were at my daughters home in Roswell NM in early Nov. and they had some snow. What a circus. We had my 4X4 truck with studded tires on and people thought we were nuts......until I was about the only one going anywhere. Jeez, 3 inches of snow and you'd think the world had just ended. Looked like the southwest version of Demolition Derby.

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Of COURSE you can come to our get together! (Who do you think will be getting us our drinks from the bar!) :rotflmao:
    Man......when i read this:"cheesedom would a much less place without you.
    " I IMMEDIATLY got a picture of "YODA" saying that!!!LOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao:
    And Kmac........you hit the nail SQUARLY on the head! We want an escape from our "real" world, of bills and work and pain, so we latch onto the high profile sports teams to get away from our troubles for a few short hours.

And Vikesrule.........using the 1930's and the depression was right on too! It's funny how you brought that up, as i just finished books by Harpo and Groucho Marx, and they said how the movie industry flourished during that time, while everything around them was falling apart.

19. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    When it rains here there is so many accidents because the people just dont slow down, can you imagine them driving in snow? Nope not me, then I am staying off the roads..lol..

Yep Bob totally know what you mean about 4x4's and studded tires, you need those things if you are going to get anywheres in any amount of snow...